Stihl 039 value?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EngineNoO9

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
There's a Stihl 039 that's semi local that has a bar, no chain, and doesn't run. Currently no clue why it doesn't but my guess is probably carb needs rebuild. Guy asking $75 firm. If it had compression is it worth it? And once running and cleaned up roughly how much do they go for?

9B2EC08A-BFF2-4269-833F-7D4FF85E368D.jpeg

Is the saw complete (parts wise/covers) or missing air cleaner cover? The bar at this point is the selling point since the saw doesn’t run. You will be putting more money into it. It could possibly need a P/C and seals and a carb rebuild and fuel and impulse line without knowing why it doesn’t run.
There not a complicated saw to work on and if you have the tools and patience it could be a fun project.
$75 for unknown issues is too high in my opinion. If you can look at the piston it would help and determine what’s wrong or needs.
Value is something determined by area. In my area a good clean, good running 039/390 with bar and chain will go for as much as $350.
Good luck on your decision.

I wouldn't buy without feeling compression and maybe peaking at the piston. I'll wait and see if it's still for sale in a week or so to see if I can talk him down

I wouldn't buy without feeling compression and maybe peaking at the piston. I'll wait and see if it's still for sale in a week or so to see if I can talk him down
Have you made a potential list of parts you need. The plastic could be aftermarket. Is the carb the original hd5 you likely could rebuild that if it's a later one you might need a pricey carb. The piston and rings and seals should be replaced anyway it's an old saw.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Meteor-pisto...-Italy-1127-030-2005-/181809112370?nav=SEARCH

So a set of seals, maybe air filter, fuel filter, fuel hose. You might wind up with 150$ in parts and a good fatty.

kit info & packing lists @ http://thechainsawkitguy.com

I wouldn’t pay more than 50 for it.
I got a complete 039 with bar and chain from my uncle last year for free. It had been lean scored so I replaced the piston,cylinder, carb and oem fuel and impulse lines. Was in pretty good shape other than mildly faded plastic. After I ran it for a few tankfuls and realized it served no purpose next to my 036 Pro,I put it on Craigslist for $300 sold it for $250. Good saw but I didn’t need it

I paid $225 for mine years ago and it came with several extra chains, all of which needed to be ground back to the correct profile. But I had time for that.....

It's still a good saw and currently wears a 16" 3/8 pitch bar and chain. And I still prefer my 046 with a 20" bar.

Back