Why Do Stihl Saws Cost SO Much More?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New saw prices have all gotten a little crazy over the last few years. My opinion is that it doesn't have to be either a Stihl or a Husqvarna. Efco is still around, and they make some good saws.

I have Stihl mostly but it's cause they are the only game in town for a higher end saw. It don't make a flip to me what it is long as it gets the job done. Cut many a cord of wood with the old Poulans. I'd buy a pro Husky in a heartbeat if they sold them around here close cause the Stihl dealers here suck hard. they know they are the only ones around and are total ass holes. one up the road from me, you'd think it would kill one of them to smile. they act very unhappy to be there and you can see it when you go in. they are also a Deere dealer too. I wouldn't buy nothing from them.

If I had a company, you bet my employees and myself would be friendly and helpful to a customer. not stihl dealers here. they think their crap don't stink. their service sucks too. Stihl makes a decent product but they should visit some of their dealers and see what goes on.

I personally think you are paying more for the name on a lot of Stihl chainsaws. I know there pro models are really good, but their home owner models really aren't the best for the money. It has been my experience, that for the money....Echo is the way to go.

Like most anyone, I've experienced both good & bad service. I don't patronize a saw shop enough to really care in the long term. Our local ACE Hardware store is an authorized Stihl dealer.

They do a pretty good job at making the customer happy. Then again, if they don't, they might lose a hardware store customer as well in the process. About a year ago, they remodeled one of their out bldgs. and turned it into their O P E shop. It's quite nice.

I haven't had to use their repair shop as of yet. Can't say if it's good or bad. I did order my HT-131 from them some time ago. They gave me 10% off MSRP. I offered to pay for it upfront, but was told that wasn't necessary. They ordered it and about 8 days later it was in.

The Stihl Deere dealers are even worse. If you go in looking for a saw or trimmer, you won't get waited on untill the parts guys are free. The Deere salesmen just sit at their desks looking bored.
At a Stihl/Deere dealer you ask for a 3/8-8 sprocket for an 044 and they take 10 LONG minutes to find the part in the book.
And then go look for it.
At the Stihl dealer Diane walks back and gets it while talking to you. Knows the saws.

Everyone likes the ice cream man who has the good cream sickles.
nestle-bar-orange-small.jpg

Yes Stihl usually costs more but it’s also usually a little higher quality, I believe Stihl and Husqvarna are the two top brands around here but yes there are a few other good brands out there.

Speaking of dealers, the one I use is husky. And they are friendly idiots. Recently had to replace a handle on a 372 and wanted to price regular vs wrap handles. They had no idea what a wrap handle was until I asked about it and they looked it up. Also had no clue what wedges are for and don’t carry them. But they are friendly.

I'm fortunate enough to have an amazing stihl dealer that's become one of my good friends over the years, I'd buy whatever he sold.

As far as one being better than the other..pick your poison..but I think stihls homeowner and farm saws are junk and overpriced with a well recognized name.

They are considered the best, and maybe they are, due to advertising. At some point their pricing will make people look at other options. When they do Stihl will lose sales. I was a diehard Stihl fan, and I am still a fan. They make great stuff. Due to price though I now own 2 stihls, 3 echoes, 3 huskies, and 1 dolkita. Had it not been for the high stihl prices forcing me to research other brands I would own all Stihl. What I have found is they are all great. Stihl is no longer at the top of my list. It's really freeing sensation. I now look for the best deal between the 4 brands I listed (and am open to expanding beyond the 4). My favorite right now is the Dolmar/Makita and am keeping a look out for good dolkita deals. I am not a logger just a weekend warrior. This past weekend I ran 3 saws and used a gallon of trufuel. Fairly common for me as I have land I am clearing and a timber farm.

Speaking of dealers, the one I use is husky. And they are friendly idiots. Recently had to replace a handle on a 372 and wanted to price regular vs wrap handles. They had no idea what a wrap handle was until I asked about it and they looked it up. Also had no clue what wedges are for and don’t carry them. But they are friendly.

If you didn't know this already, the OEM wrap handle kits are super cheap. Like $30, and it includes a set of dogs. Bailey's lists them online I think.

I have Stihl mostly but it's cause they are the only game in town for a higher end saw. It don't make a flip to me what it is long as it gets the job done. Cut many a cord of wood with the old Poulans. I'd buy a pro Husky in a heartbeat if they sold them around here close cause the Stihl dealers here suck hard. they know they are the only ones around and are total ass holes. one up the road from me, you'd think it would kill one of them to smile. they act very unhappy to be there and you can see it when you go in. they are also a Deere dealer too. I wouldn't buy nothing from them.

If I had a company, you bet my employees and myself would be friendly and helpful to a customer. not stihl dealers here. they think their crap don't stink. their service sucks too. Stihl makes a decent product but they should visit some of their dealers and see what goes on.

You could get one mailed to you from one of the great dealers who are members here, like spike60. If I only could have one saw, it'd be a stihl, since I can buy parts at 5 places within 15 miles. Husky parts pretty much need to be mailed. But, like you I have a couple of backup saws if one goes down. I've got three Huskies now, 346/350, 262, and 395. All ported. They're a blast. I love putting them in the hands of Stihl guys. :). Once you've got a couple of solid Stihls you can rely on, it's time to expand your horizons I think.

The only husky dealer I know of around here is a place that sells boat parts and repairs boats. They sell husky lawn mowers too. There's stihl dealers everywhere. If u want a husky go to home depot because that's about the only place you will find one.

I'm more attracted to the used stihl market. You can get a saw for a decent price that might need a little love but that's the fun part.

I havent bought a new Stihl saw yet. I usually buy equipment that I can work on and maintain myself. Nowadays new Stihl saws are out of my price range. I would rather buy used (whatever brand) and enjoy the process of bringing a used saw back to a new life. Thats me.

Same here. Double dittos. Only problem, they usually blow up.

As a former marketing guy, it is nice to see how many of you boys credit Stihl's advertising for their success. Not knowing anything about chainsaws (things ain't changed much) I asked some pros for a recommendation. Each said Stihl, absolutely, was the way to go.
Advertising can be very beneficial, very! But, if you don't have a great product at an affordable price with great support staff, you can spend billions on advertising and go belly up in no time.

Circuit City poured 180,000,000 million into advertising one year as a young company, which drove in the foot traffic. From there, it fizzled pretty quick.

Iacocca single-handedly saved Chrysler by personally advertising the 5 year 50,0000 mile warranty.

Latest posts

Back