Chainsaws and Home Economics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The kitchen here consists of a toilet room, fridge, sink and 2 microwaves. It's lovely in the winter to poop at the shop too, usually about 40-45* in the bathroom.

At the house, I use the kitchen stove maybe twice a month, on a good month. The cleaning lady commented it's not too often she has to dust off a stove :laugh:

Buddy of mine washed the tin work off of a small block chevy in his mom's dishwasher once.v Does that count? I asked if he was still able to conceive children after she found out.

Thanks. Probably great for aluminum which plugs up a file in no time. We didn't file it often. Mill or lathe produce better results.

We were taught that files are fragile and should be handled like a precision tool. And never toss the files in with any other tools. There were wooden draws in the Kennedy chest where they were stored. File cards we used all the time.

Bump!

I just ordered some nylon, baby bottle 'nipple brushes', along with some other other small diameter bushes, from that place named after the river in South America. I had a few old ones from when my kids were infants, and had been unable to find 'good ones' (for my uses) at the drug or department stores. Not only are they extremely handy, they are relatively inexpensive, and perfect for 'add-on' items to get over that 'free shipping' minimum.

Screen shot 2021-01-04 at 12.46.31 PM.pngScreen shot 2021-01-04 at 12.47.02 PM.png

Philbert

Dishwasher detergent is usually caustic, and might be hard on some aluminum parts. Heated dry could damage some plastics.

But, a lot of guys have reported using them for saws, here on A.S. Maybe experiment with different detergents on some cheap / ‘dead’ saw parts, along with cycle times?

I would certainly consider making room for a used one, if building out a new shop.

I used an old Crock Pot as a heated parts cleaner, for bicycle parts, for a while. Before I started using ‘Super Clean’. The heat helped when using certain brands of water-based parts cleaning solutions (without sodium hydroxide).

Good to have different options!

Philbert

On purpose?

I’ve run stuff accidentally through the washing machine, when I did not check my pockets!

Did you run metal parts, or all plastic?

Philbert

Very on purpose! If you can "accidentally" run your gun through a dishwasher, you shouldn't be carrying.

Ran the whole thing through, metal and plastic bits both, mostly for a laugh. We weren't using the heated drying cycle to save on power; if we had been, I wouldn't have run the plastic pieces through. Blew out all the crevices and re-oiled, it's been flawless for 15+ years since. On my hip right now as I type this.

I only did it the one time, definitely not recommending anyone else do so. Your mileage may vary, this is not legal or medical advice, consult your own attorney or doctor before making any decisions, etc.

My wife would kill me if she ever caught me using an appliance in the kitchen for cleaning parts or heating cases... having said that, I've ran a few dirty hats through the dishwasher once. It did great, the ensuing *itch fest wasn't worth it though.
well I hadn't asked for permission, she was gone. plus it paled in comparison to the time I put my electric smoker racks in it and turned on the self clean feature...important note, once reaches certain temp the door locks and you can't abort mission if you wanted too. lol

I put my electric smoker racks in it and turned on the self clean feature..
I mentioned picking up old pans, from garage sales, Goodwill, etc., for this use. Sometimes, they are covered in ? Putting them in the oven, on the self-cleaning cycle, works well on most of that stuff, unless they have plastic handles, coatings, etc.

I try to buy all aluminum or steel stuff for this use. If it gets damaged in the oven, it’s only 50 cents or a dollar or so at risk. Don’t care about cosmetic damage.

I would not put good stuff, chains, etc. in there (800° to 900°* ?).

Philbert

Back