Stihl bar and chain on an Echo saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
590's may require the adjuster pin be filed down or the holes in the bar enlarged. from what i have seen this only applies to the first batch of 590's as they had a squarish adjuster pin that had a taper to it, newer ones went to a straight round pin and fit the stihl mount bars fine.

If using a stihl mount bar on an echo be sure to check that because it will break the clutch cover if you tighten up the nuts on a saw that has the squarish tapered adjuster pin without modifying either the pin or the bar.

I have said this quite a few times and try to tell people about it when they order the adapter but it cant hurt to repeat it

Thanks folks. Here are some pics. The saw pics are of the Echo CS590 with round tension adjustment pin. The bar with the tension adjustment "slots" is the Echo bar. The bar marked "OLD" with the tension holes (circular) is the Stihl bar and is indeed 50/.325 (i.e. not 3/8" or .375").
The tension pin and oiler holes on the Stihl bar line up with the Echo saw. However, you can see that the chain drive links are different and that is why the Stihl chain doesn't mesh with the Echo clutch sprocket. So I assume I would need to change the clutch sprocket to use a Stihl chain.

Attachments

• IMG_2407.jpg
    IMG_2407.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2408.jpg
    IMG_2408.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2409.jpg
    IMG_2409.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2410.jpg
    IMG_2410.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2411.jpg
    IMG_2411.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2412.jpg
    IMG_2412.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2413.jpg
    IMG_2413.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2414.jpg
    IMG_2414.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2415.jpg
    IMG_2415.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 31
Thanks. Harley T - the bar is a .325 and the chain you highlighted is the Stihl 23RS-74. Hence, not compatible with Echo drive sprocket. Oh well.

Yeah, I know. Just trying to dispell the brand myth. That 3/8 chain works just fine on Stihls, well the ones that use a 3/8 chain.
always amazes how many people that come in the shop that i have to explain that the oregon chain and bars will fit their Stihl or husky saw, they believe that only x brand chain will fit it. A few minutes later and most are convinced that the oregon chain will wrok jsut fine but I've had a few that stomped out headed for their local stihl dealer to buy Stihl chain for their Stihl saw because they didnt believe the oregon chain was a direct replacement. Often wonder if its the dealers telling them that because our local stihl dealer told a customer that motomix was the only fuel that would work in his new MS171, he was jumping for joy when i informed him that he could run pump gas mixed at 50:1 in it instead of always having to go buy $8 a quart gas. I lost a sale though as he was coming in to trade the stihl in on a dolmar because it was just to expensive to use a stihl.

Thanks. Harley T - the bar is a .325 and the chain you highlighted is the Stihl 23RS-74. Hence, not compatible with Echo drive sprocket. Oh well.

620 clutch drum is a direct bolt on and would give you a rim drive drum so swapping between 325 and 3/8 would be cheap and easy but the 620 drum is near $50 so might as well just buy the correct 3/8 bar

Latest posts

Back