Uneven chain wear theory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best. One plows for me, the other loads me up on 5 gallon buckets of Apricots and peaches, and the other scored me a 26cuft freezer and other goodies.

If I don't sharpen their chains, and we cut firewood together, I cut 80% of the firewood. Even after sharpening the chains I still cut over 60%.

Yeah, if you work for free on stuff for friends.......

It means that you will have a bunch of "friends"......

55383126aa57a6a5ffbe3ab596180509.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where's the gullet?

My theory is they lean heavy on the single dawg putting pressure on the right side. That is all I can come up with. Any other theories?

When felling, you must have the right side of the chain down unless you are equipped with a full wrap. Increases the chance of that side tagging a rock or running in the dirt. I also think right handed people tend to tilt the saw slightly toward that side.

The guy does not down trees. We were cutting firewood this morning, and he confirmed that he does put a lot of force on the single dawg. I'm satisfied that that is the cause.

When felling, you must have the right side of the chain down unless you are equipped with a full wrap. Increases the chance of that side tagging a rock or running in the dirt. I also think right handed people tend to tilt the saw slightly toward that side.

The guy does not down trees. We were cutting firewood this morning, and he confirmed that he does put a lot of force on the single dawg. I'm satisfied that that is the cause.

The before mentioned issues certainly contribute to the chain pulling one way or the other. What I see often is a OP dings one side or another with dirt rock or other then keeps on cutting until the chain will not cut at all. Once the chain is thoroughly screwed up it takes extra care to get it salvaged. The messed up chain is often not sharpened equally on both sides and one side is often more rounded then the other consequently it will continue to pull to that side. Thanks

Certainly, the cutting performance degradation is what causes him to use the dawgs evermore, harming the right side cutters ever further, till it is just a giant mess to sharpen. As I expected.

The before mentioned issues certainly contribute to the chain pulling one way or the other. What I see often is a OP dings one side or another with dirt rock or other then keeps on cutting until the chain will not cut at all. Once the chain is thoroughly screwed up it takes extra care to get it salvaged. The messed up chain is often not sharpened equally on both sides and one side is often more rounded then the other consequently it will continue to pull to that side. Thanks

You can blame the rotation of earth and gravity pulling to right but the simple fact is that chain is screwed.
That thing hit rocks dirt or whatever and only took a split second.
Id take it down aswell as rakers and mysell well take the cutters on other side down to mach. Id charge a few bucks more than a oregon chain or request more fruit for your time.

Also curious what machine corrected that in close to 2 passes.

You can blame the rotation of earth and gravity pulling to right but the simple fact is that chain is screwed.
That thing hit rocks dirt or whatever and only took a split second.
Id take it down aswell as rakers and mysell well take the cutters on other side down to mach. Id charge a few bucks more than a oregon chain or request more fruit for your time.

Also curious what machine corrected that in close to 2 passes.

I did that chain in the picture in 3 passes
CBN wheel
1 pass at 20 degrees
The rest back to 30
At 20 your cutting or removing the nose so you can take a lot off without grinding the whole cutter
USG grinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some S52 3/8 lp Oregon chains with about 4 cutters left on them from cutting junk lumber/ hitting nails.

The place I take them to do not say a word when I send them in to get sharpened. They deserve it, I took them hundreds of chains before I finally figured out how to file.

Good sharpening tips here. Getting my grinder set soon!

Back