mcculloch 35a

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

octagon

Reaction score
hi,
i'm new to the forum. i have a junk-parts circular sawmill project going and need advice for that, but just now am trying to get a mccullock 35a chainsaw to run. it's low hours, been in storage for years. just got it this past august. i put in new gas and cleaned the plug and it fired up. but it wouldn't run more than a few seconds.
now that the weather is cool (i'm in ga) i'm trying to use the saw. but now, it has no spark at all. the points are set so they barely open - i've tried resetting to .018, still no spark. also tried .014 and .0008 and the original setting - nothing.
was wondering if the condenser could be bad - took it out and cleaned the ground and positive contacts.
if it's bad, what is a suitable replacement? there's no parts number on the condenser.
thanks for any help on it.

Welcome to AS bud!

There are some hardcore McCulloch guys on this forum, and the 35 was a somewhat common saw. I'm sure you will be able to find a replacement. If you post in the McCulloch thread you may be able to get more information

Did you check all the connections also?

How about the on/off switch?

CT

0.018" for the point gap should work. I would suggest cleaning them thoroughly with fine emery paper until they shine like a mirror.

Check the condenser with an ohm meter, it should appear as an open circuit, but if you swap the leads back and forth you should see the meter "tick" a little as the condenser is charged by the meter, then discharges when you switch the leads around.

Mark

I also have a 35A that I have not messed with much, but I have had it running.
I will check my saw to see if the condenser has a part number.
attachment.php

checked on the saw some more - the condenser seems to test ok. i toggled the on off switch back and forth about ten times and after that got a spark across the points.
also, ordered a owners and parts manual off ebay.
thanks again

You will have to remove the cover to replace the recoil spring. Not a bad a task as it sounds and whatever you do, don't take the two cover halves apart. Once you remove the cover from the carburetor/air filter you will see a 1/4" hex bolt goin through the saw, with that one removed there are two additional 1/4" screws on either side of the rear handle. With those screws out the whole cover comes right off n one piece, then you can access the starter pulley, spring, and rope. Go ahead and replace the rope while you are in there.

To wind it up and put tension on the spring. insert one of the longer 1/4" screws through the hole in the read of the handle on the same axis as the starter, thread it in and wind up the spring, replace the rope, and you are good to go.

Mark

Back