What's a John Deere CS52 worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbo74

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am currently looking for a 50cc saw. I just looked at a John Deere CS52, that this guy in town who repairs saws, has for sale. He is asking $125.00 for it. The saw runs good, but It needs a bar and chain. Is this a fair price for this saw?

It’s a decent 50cc machine. I think asking price makes sense. I think it would be good with 13-16” bar.
It has a worn out 16" on it now, the guy told me he thinks an 18" bar would be a better fit for the saw, but he did say it absolutely rips with the 16" bar on it.

Unless you absolutely have to have an 18" bar, I would stick with the 16". You might even consider a narrow kerf bar and chain combo in the .325 .050 chain size that the saw comes with. Bailey's often has NK B&C combos on sale.

It has a worn out 16" on it now, the guy told me he thinks an 18" bar would be a better fit for the saw, but he did say it absolutely rips with the 16" bar on it.

I guess it's all relative. I run 13" on both stock and ported 346xps, so when I had one of those CS52s come though my hands, I was not left with the impression that it wanted more than the 16" bar that it had mounted up. That isn't to say it would be much slower with a 18", just that it wasn't what I was used to in a 50cc saw.

That said, when running it, it did remind me in many ways of the Dolmar/Makita 520-series (and the 1xx models that preceded them before the numbering change). It has enough power to be productive and was comfortable to run. It turns reasonable RPM, has decent power, and seems far more nimble than other popular 50-mid50 cc saws like the 290 Stihl or 455 Husqvarna.

And for the price quoted in the original post, shoot, it's a no-brainer for a guy who needs another 50cc saw, really.

The guy also has an 026 sitting there, that was nice, I asked how much, but he acted like he didn't want to part with it. What would that be worth? I may have to try to wave some cash in his face for it, but if that don't work...I'm gonna pull the trigger on the cs52.

Well, I picked up the saw today.

Attachments

• 0514182000b.jpg
    0514182000b.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 31
  • 0514182000a.jpg
    0514182000a.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 32
  • 0514182000.jpg
    0514182000.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 30
  • 0511181710.jpg
    0511181710.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
Looks great in the picture but I never knew John Deere made any green saws, I thought they only made yellow

Well I was doing some limbing today, and the saw quit, and won't start. I pulled the spark plug, and I wiped the plug clean..it looks brand new. Put the plug back in and pulled about 10 more times...and nothing. I smell gas, so I figure there is no spark. Yesterday this saw was running good, started on the second pull.
I think the coil went out, or the switch has a short. The guy told me if I had issues to bring it back, so that's what I intend to do.

I cleaned the carb, and replaced a vent line, put it back together, and it fired right up. Today I was trying to adjust the idle, and broke the pull cord.....I'm about ready to take this pile o crap back, and buy a new saw.

The brand new equivalent of that saw will cost you 4x as much, or more. And eventually it'll need a new pull cord and a carb re-built. Or, you can fix these $5-$15 problems once and not have to worry about them for the same amount of time as a new one.

The brand new equivalent of that saw will cost you 4x as much, or more. And eventually it'll need a new pull cord and a carb re-built. Or, you can fix these $5-$15 problems once and not have to worry about them for the same amount of time as a new one.
I know what your saying. I have just had a real bad week so far. My week started with me blowing out my cam seal on my Honda Prelude....I have a 5 mile long oil trail on the road. My stereo was up pretty loud, so I didn't hear if my motor was screaming at me or not. I just happened to see my oil light flashing at me. So I had the woman pick me up, I called a friend with a car dolly to tow the car home, we got the car loaded, and strapped in, didn't even make it 100 feet and the passenger side car dolly tire goes flat! So I had to drive back to my house and get my floor jack, go back out to the trailer, jack it up, take the tire to the tire shop, get the tire fixed...etc...etc. The only thing good that had come out of this is that I don't think I hurt the motor. I bought a 5 quart jug of the cheapest oil I could find, filled it with oil...and that v-tech purrs like a kitten.
All I know is if my week keeps on going the way it's going....I'm gonna stop getting out of bed!

That sucks, sorry to hear it. I had a unit bearing go out on the truck about a month ago on the way to work. Same story, it fought me all the way. Hopefully it gets better.

Back