Got side tracked from 440/046/064 pop up build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome thank you brad.
I have another 046 cylinder i may build a 046 just for fun.
I may run this thing tommorrow, cross your fingers it holds together. I havent yet checked compression. It should be up there.

Looks like a bag of circlips is due here tommorrow. Button up muffler spacer toss rings on it and pray. Lol

Ok so shes up and running and healthy well was running.
I originaly checked squish and got .05 with gasket took gasket out and took alittle off base and got 02ish i was stocked.

So got her together and its blowing 150. Okay so caber rings need to seat. Ran it for 15 20 minutes let it cool off. 150. Yes 150s not horrible but for saw with 02ish and 04 popup. Hmmmm

So i stick solder back in my cheap digital calipers say 025 ok so i get smart and grab my feeler gauge. Caliper at 025 is way over the 025 feeler. Hmmm

So i stew on it for a few hours eat dinner and decide to tear it down and go after that 025. Now its midnight got the 025 and got 175.

Heres a vid running at 150psi i dont know the squish here its quite abit more than a 025 feeler gauge.

I dont know how much 25 psi will matter but i do know my last 440 50mm saw was very strong with 175psi

Now the flywheel is rubbing. Im not sure if im going to take flywheel off and clearance it or let the cylinder and fly weel work it out on theyre own.

I have a few decent sized trees to take down so ill get it in wood pretty quick.
Ill also get another vid tommorrow to compare to the 150psi vid
20180506_023307.jpg

I cant sleep so i opened up the spark screen housing. I have to run screens where im at. Trying to make sure im not restricted in the screen
20180506_015449.jpg

20180506_015942.jpg 20180506_022758.jpg 20180506_031733.jpg

Try to tighten up squish if it's really more than .025. That's not just for compression, it's for velocity, swirl, and burn efficiency.

150 don't bother me, but that's under stock. Make sure your comp tester is ok and the Shrader valve is ok.

See what your caliper at .025 actually is by using multiple feeler gauges. Do the math and see where you are.

Add another muffler deflector and a timing advance of .025 off the key won't hurt, especially if the comp is that low.

As Brad has already offered, I could give you some help if you need base machined, but your measurements would have to be on the money before I touch it.

Great job.

Does the digital caliper have a zero set button?
Seems I remember some units having the ability to set the zero point at an arbitrary location.
This was done for checking batches of parts and you wanted to just have the "zero" always be at the correct dimension, rather than chancing a brain cramp & missreading a string of mixed numerals.

Or perhaps it needs to completely closed (with clean jaws)
when it's powered up, to set the zero point?
Also, a low battery can cause errors.

Just trying to recall some of the possible reasons for an odd reading.
Been a looong time since I needed to work with the electronic ones,
The dial types & verniers never have a dead or leaking cell, so that's what I kept for home usage.

Yes you should notice a difference in power from 150psi and 175psi and it takes them rings a good bit of time to brake in it sound good in video but that's with no lode other than bar and chain and remember this you are running a pop up piston now so you can get away with a looser squish but at the same time I'd rather see you're squish at . 022 and I know you're almost there and I'm sure you're getting tired of taking it apart every time you can take the base down a bit yourself if you have a really flat serfis and use 220 grit sheet of sand paper and then 120 after that but got to be very careful to keep that cylinder flat down on the sand paper it's not going to take much to get you from . 025 to . 022. And please guy's try not to slay me for the method of how I take my bases down because somethings can be done the slow hard way. Lol

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions.

Mg i use the same method to take the base dow. Ibe also been kown to turn a belt sander up side down maybe this time.

It is at 025ish now and i did think about going lower maybe .02 heck id go .018.

Coming into issues now transfer tunnells lowering into flywheel.

Looks like brad may be right. A 030 pop up would maybe have worked better .

272 piston is taller wide skirted good ring end locations. Dang it im already thinking about changing.
Hmmmm i need another saw. Im thinking about doing this on 046 pretty much the same saw execpt the cylinder fits.

Get piston meausure 272 squish on 01 gasket go from there.

Looking forward to running under a load.

I dont mind taking the cylinder off to make adjustments, it will still come down to get portedIMG_0935.jpg
272 064 046.

Ok brad you talked me into it.
Getting bored with building shelves in the garage anyway

Bumped it down to 022ish also took the lip off lower transfers. Its at 180 psi now. It might actually be higher running i didnt put any oil on rings going back together.

Im done messing with it for awhile. Top end is running very rich and bottom end adjusted out at just shy of two turns out. Im thinking vent or needle issue20180506_141520.jpg
20180506_144429.jpg

Yea that flywheel is tight with that transfer that's for sure. Lol. The saw should be a good runner with that amount of compression and it might still go up some with more run time. Glad you got it going again I think you'll like where it's at for now.

20180514_222758.jpg

Well she needs seals. Yes i shoulda cleaned it first. Will be qtip cleaning seal surfaces prior to assembly.

She wouldnt tune no amount of carb tweeking. Id run this saw as stock 440 with no issues. Replaced vent that seems to build pressure in tank with a new vent oem vent that does the same. Blows fuel out the fuel line when you pull carb of. Also when you loosen fuel cap
Ive monked around with a tiny drill bit and made the vent vent as well as pull the guts out of after market vent.
My 026 i can blow through the vent these new style ones i cant.
Also rebuilt the hd17 tossed on new ebay special all same out come runs at 1.5 to 2 out on low and h can be about seated to clean out. Thats due to low circuit fueling to 3/4 throttle sloppering rich to compensate for air through the seals.
At least i hope. I dont think ive vac or pressure tested this saw.

Ohhh thats a special seal pulling tool :)

Holy ****. I kinda screwd up and took crank off on fly wheel side with my impact. On tear down i found this.
20180520_161003.jpg 20180520_161647.jpg

Okay ill say it brad was right. Ill be looking into meteor 064 pop up now instead of the golf.
This saws barrely ran. It was a ticking time bomb mabe it cracked because i messaged it with a carbide burr maybe it cracked because its a golf piston.
I will salvage the carbar rings.
Im currently splitting cases. I have to replace the crank and i guess get another set of seals unless i feel these ones survive tge tear down heck maybe ill just run a 046 piston. But man i really wanted to do the 064 pop up. Or maybe a 272.
Crank, bearings, piston and give it another go

Piston wasnt hitting crank. I clearanced inside the piston and then ended up shorting the skirts to clear.
I pulled seals they are junk now. Didnt even run it with the nee seals.

Nwp crank okay??

Piston wasnt hitting crank. I clearanced inside the piston and then ended up shorting the skirts to clear.
I pulled seals they are junk now. Didnt even run it with the nee seals.

Nwp crank okay??
Not sure on the NWP cranks I've been wondering about them myself

keep with the meteor 064 piston it has wider skirts that the OEM 064. they really make a great runner. haven't tried on the 440 bottom but the one I build is my go to when I put the throw down on the wood pile.

I see some 064 meteor pistons with skirt wings and some without. Though overl the 064 has narrow skirts compared to the 272 038 and 046.

Im still researching cranks, think im just gona go with nwp havent decided on piston.
Wiseco makes lots of 14mm pinned
pistons. The dominant stuff seems to have gliched on us.
Meteor is still looking like the way to go. Getting tired of scouring wiseco 52mm pistons with 14mm pin. Wiseco does list 12mm pins not on the dominant website i chased thosd to funky little cart pistons 43mm

Welk i think i spent some money last night meteor 046, nwp crank i think bearing gasket seals.

Pretty sure when friday comes ill be in trouble with wife since nothings coming from the same place

Latest posts

Back