Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I sure felt like 50 when I got up this morning. Back and neck still a little sore from loading/unloading wood the other day. Oh, well. Keeps me active and will keep me warm this winter. Thanks again for the birthday wishes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope you had a great one, and don't worry, your still young and have a long way to go!!!

This is the only pic I can post of yesterday in the Adirondacks. Must have cut down about 50 trees so my neighbor can build his cabin. Mostly Hard Maple, White Birch, a few Poplar and some others.

When you put the saw into Poplar, after cutting a Hard Maple, you think it must be rotten! Did it all with the 261 and the 044. Chris went to use his 460 after running my 044 a bit, and he put it right down and said "you have to sharpen my chain", which I did today. Yesterday, we just used my two saws.

Both of them went through a few tanks of fuel and were still cutting well.

I think the Hard Maple up there is harder than the Hard Maple down here. Likely has tighter growth bands.

We completed the planned work a little earlier than expected, good thing, we were both shot! Went for Dinner and a couple of beers and felt better for the ride home (I was the passenger). We cleared the proposed uphill driveway and the flat area for the cabin. Nothing huge, but about a dozen of the Maple and Birch were between 15 and 20". We bucked logs for a path and Chris moved them with his Kubota.

Today it rained on and off, so I sharpened saws, cleaned filters, mixed fuel, and took my Grandson to HF for his birthday shopping spree. He was a very happy camper and I got some recovery time!

Attachments

• IMG_20180521_163604332.jpg
    IMG_20180521_163604332.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 24
Mike I think with all your saws and source of wood you should become a true wood burning scrounger and get a wood stove. If you need any encouragement and support to get you over the line there’s plenty of us here to help with that :yes:. You’re missing out of one of life’s little pleasures.

I have cut hard maple here in farm country and up on the escarpment. The trees that grow in rocky soil are slower growing than the ones in good soil and more dense. I notice it more when splitting. Hard maple is hard and usually splits fairly cleanly but the denser trees load up the splitter and POP! I’ve been hit in the shins a couple times by splits.

I had 15+ cords of hard maple this winter/spring. You can tell the difference between the stuff we cut in wet heavy ground and the stuff that was in a firmer ground for sure. It cuts harder than red oak for sure. The red/pin oak around here is also easy to tell if it came from hard ground or softer ground as the stuff from a rockier soil is usually always twisted and more limby where the heavy soil stuff tends to be straighter.

you should become a true wood burning scrounger and get a wood stove.

I heated my house (2 different ones) for over 20 years with wood, with air tight 55 gal drum stoves. Now we have Natural Gas, so I don't bother at home, but my hunting cabin's sole source of heat is an air tight 55 gal wood stove.

Timing was good. When I stopped heating my house with wood my daughter got a house, and her husband is from the City and did not cut wood, so my efforts shifted to her. Then a friend of hers, then they guy at the Chainsaw shop wanted some, then … I did over 26 cord last year, plus the milling of Oak and Hickory boards, so I stay busy.

Hey, I have to take a tree off a house for an old friend of mine today over in CT. He is an International Boxing Judge, and I used to spar with him. Great Guy! It is not firewood though. He still has downed lines for his internet that can not be fixed till the tree is gone.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, fellas! It's nice to be reminded,LOL. I've been in the woods cuttin' trees,making up for lost time. There was still snow in the woods till the end of April, so it put me way behind. 10 cord of firewood doesn't come rolling down the "hill"on it's own,unfortunately. Still trying to plant the garden, in between loads. As you guy's have so graciously reminded me, I ain't gettin any younger! ;)

Great to see you post again Clint, you were starting to worry me!

Hey, I'm only a few months behind ya!

Carry on with the fire wood, it keeps us healthy!

LIfe ain't over because of a birthday. I'm 83 and still out there heaving saws and wood around. sent some 8 cord out the gate last year plus the 3 cord for my use, plus some 6 more cord to cover orders expected this year. Have 5 or 6 huge willow trees on the ground waiting to be processed. I had to just fall them to get out of the way of a fencing project.

LIfe ain't over because of a birthday. I'm 83 and still out there heaving saws and wood around. sent some 8 cord out the gate last year plus the 3 cord for my use, plus some 6 more cord to cover orders expected this year. Have 5 or 6 huge willow trees on the ground waiting to be processed. I had to just fall them to get out of the way of a fencing project.
:cheers::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'm very very impressed. I'm also suddenly wandering what the scrounger demographic is. Me, I turned 45yo 2 an 1/2 weeks ago.

Went out the other day to cut more wood with a couple of mates, we got 2 big ute loads (8ftx6ft trays on them) and my ute which is smaller. We dropped 3 trees and cut up a heap more on the ground too.

We were using Husky 268's and my 394 and a 371 - it was a great day out and will be out again this Saturday at a new property we picked up last week to start cutting on that.

oCNY9qNh.jpg

NuGboV0h.jpg

lO35Y5Oh.jpg

cOB85c6h.jpg

RMyk2lYh.jpg

6o87Each.jpg

Back