I got that Salami feeling again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This time of the year the temp and humidity is just right for doing dry-cured meats. This year it is Landjager Salami.

About 8lbs, following an internet recipe. I was treated to some Deli made Landjager last year and was it ever good!!! Will see how well I do. This is my 3rd year making dry-cured (various) Salami, Capicola, Pepperoni, etc. Once you do this there is no way I will ever buy Salami from a Grocery Store. Even my lesser successes are better then I can buy.

A good 4 hours of grinding, mixing, and stuffing this is my results so far. The big ones I will flatten (for a few days) as is customarily done with this type of Salami, and then the links and the Chubs, I will let ferment and then hang for the 30+ days til they lose about 30% of their weight.

LandjagerSalami 001 (800x600).jpg
LandjagerSalami 002 (800x600).jpg
LandjagerSalami 003 (800x600).jpg

Looks delicious!
Reminds me of opening a saw I just got today. I pulled everything out of the box and then I saw a bag of jerky on the table right by another bag that came with the saw, I was like :sweet:o_O oh. I was a bit confused, but then realized it was the jerky I had bought yesterday and left it on the table :laugh:. It was really good :sweet:.

Looks like I over stuffed the Chubs. They are not flattening out like I had hoped. I don't dare put more weight atop, or risk rupturing the casings. I will try my hand at string tying the chubs for the extra professional deli look. The links hung over night and have turned a shade of brown (fermentation happening). Beef turns brown, pork a shade of red or pink. Later today, I'll move them to my almost root cellar for the long cure.

White mold starting to appear. Shows fermentation is progressing, and lactic acid developing, which is also apparent by the sweet tangy smell.

I opened and started eating some venison/pork salami I made 2 years ago. Wow!

Neighbors brought over some canned tomatoes and canned peaches from their garden this morning. In returning the favor, we cut out one of the salami links and sliced into it. Very firm, looks and tastes great. Chubs are firming up, maybe another week and 2018 salami will be complete. :happybanana:

Looks good. My misses just returned from vacation in Italy to meet the relatives she brought home salami, super sod it looked like yours very tasty. There’s no stores in Italy like here everything is homemade. Italian fresh bread can be purchased there. My grandfather from Italy would make a meal from provalone cheese, salami, Italian bread and homemade wine.

Think I got me some of that there white mold growing in the wood pile. Don't think that elms gonna have much flavor and be awful stringy.

Great job on those for sure. Makes my mouth water and long for some beer stix.

The casing usually gets a bit moldy, a darker less appealing look, beneath the white (good) mold. I strip the casing off and make sure the fuzzy green or even black mold has not effected the meat. If all looks good I double wrap it and put it into the freezer. Tainted meat, ala botulism is nothing to fool with. Salt is the main ingredient that prevent this deadly bacteria. The more the safer. Of course if to much is used the taste is not palatable. The rules are 2.5 to 3% salt by weight, and with proper sanitary steps and a proper curing environment the risks are minimal. Over the years, of the dozens and dozens of Salami Chubs, I've only tossed a couple. Safety first.

Here is a picture of a very very large batch, I made of a few years ago, that I am still eating.

Fun to do, great to eat, but you got to do it right. Making the first batch is a bit scary, but results are well worth it.

If you have the proper set up, 60% humidity + 60% temperature over a 30+ day period, and want to try this, I recommend a kit.

This is what I first tried and the results were spectacular, and it was off to the races afterwards.

Salami Kit -> https://www.amazon.com/consisting-P...F8&qid=1531694959&sr=8-15&keywords=salami+kit

I reviewed this kit on Amazon, and there are more pictures hosted by Amazon.

SalamiUpdate 002 (1024x768).jpg

So when you eat it, you just peel that skin off?

Latest posts

Back