Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, is that what the little Collins I just finished is? A fellers ax? I called it a boys ax because it was so short, but it has about a 4 pound head. The handle is 24 1/2 inches and the total weight is 5 pounds.
You could call it 'Dave' if you want! Lots of different terms for similar things.

I assume that a 'boy's axe' would be a scaled down version of a typical, full sized (3.5 pound head) axe, with a shorter, curved handle and lighter head.
A 'feller's axe' seems to have a shorter, straight handle, and a larger, heavier (4 to 5 pound) head. I have seen similar axes called a 'miner's axe'; presumably due to cramped spaces in mines.

Screen shot 2018-05-24 at 1.09.15 PM.png
(photo from Bailey's web site)

Philbert

I can't bring myself to use an ax for driving wedges, but I can see where this one would be good at it.
Some guys use small sledge hammers or mauls for plastic wedges. The advantages of using an axe include:
- the narrow poll lets you drive one wedge at a time when stacked (if you can aim);
- you usually need an axe anyway to clear brush, limb, drive out face cut wedges, in case your saw gets stuck, to look like a 'real' woodsman', etc.

Sledge hammer for driving forged, steel, splitting wedges.

Philbert

I have one axe from my Grandpa in the manner of what you listed with a larger head and shorter straight handle. I’ve used it very little but I think the short, straight handle is best for driving wedges.

You could call it 'Dave' if you want! Lots of different terms for similar things.

I assume that a 'boy's axe' would be a scaled down version of a typical, full sized (3.5 pound head) axe, with a shorter, curved handle and lighter head.
A 'feller's axe' seems to have a shorter, straight handle, and a larger, heavier (4 to 5 pound) head. I have seen similar axes called a 'miner's axe'; presumably due to cramped spaces in mines.

View attachment 653983
(photo from Bailey's web site)

Philbert
Thanks, all of my Boys Axes have 2.25 pound heads. This one has a 24 1/2 inch handle with a 4 pound head. These pics are over in the ax thread, but this shows the size of the ax. In the pic of 4 axes it's on the far left. The single pic is as it sits now finished, with the original handle. All I did was set it about a 1/4 inch deeper and rasp the gray wood off and thin it a little.
EkPZvoi.jpg

NPx4OeF.jpg

So, is that what the little Collins I just finished is? A fellers ax? I called it a boys ax because it was so short, but it has about a 4 pound head. The handle is 24 1/2 inches and the total weight is 5 pounds. I can't bring myself to use an ax for driving wedges, but I can see where this one would be good at it. Pics over in the ax thread, and it will be making the trip to the PA GTG.

I would historically refer to a boys axe as being somewhere in between a hatchet and an axe in terms of weight in length. It's a sliding scale, but typically a boys axe weighs between 2-3 lb (900-1800 g) with a haft length of 18-28" (45-71 cm). Not quite a hatchet, not quite an axe; A "boys axe". I find this range of chopping tools most suitable for everyday work, often my small axes are my go-to with random chores around the property and bush.

Joe - I am cornfused - you have no issue with throwing axes, yet find difficulty in using an axe to drive a plastic wedge??? :D

I would think that the latter is less strenuous to the tool than throwing. Axes typically endure just as much force per blow when chopping or splitting than with wedge pounding. Axes are hung in the same manner as most hammers, only the eye is shaped differently, which IMHO differs very little.

Not quite a hatchet, not quite an axe; A "boys axe". I find this range of chopping tools most suitable for everyday work, often my small axes are my go-to with random chores around the property and bush.

Used to like that size for canoe trips. Not too heavy, but large enough for fire wood. The one piece, steel Estwing was also popular for that use, along with some Hudson Bay (duh!) style.

This axe is your axe, this axe is my axe, from California to the New York island...

All my axes live in Texas . . . . (don't axe me or Billy Joel why).

Philbert

So, is that what the little Collins I just finished is? A fellers ax? I called it a boys ax because it was so short, but it has about a 4 pound head. The handle is 24 1/2 inches and the total weight is 5 pounds. I can't bring myself to use an ax for driving wedges, but I can see where this one would be good at it. Pics over in the ax thread, and it will be making the trip to the PA GTG.
It could very well be a "fellers axe".I'd like to know just when and where the term "boys axe "first entered the english language.It is new to me but my boy years are way behind me.

I would historically refer to a boys axe as being somewhere in between a hatchet and an axe in terms of weight in length. It's a sliding scale, but typically a boys axe weighs between 2-3 lb (900-1800 g) with a haft length of 18-28" (45-71 cm). Not quite a hatchet, not quite an axe; A "boys axe". I find this range of chopping tools most suitable for everyday work, often my small axes are my go-to with random chores around the property and bush.

Joe - I am cornfused - you have no issue with throwing axes, yet find difficulty in using an axe to drive a plastic wedge??? :D

I would think that the latter is less strenuous to the tool than throwing. Axes typically endure just as much force per blow when chopping or splitting than with wedge pounding. Axes are hung in the same manner as most hammers, only the eye is shaped differently, which IMHO differs very little.
I might have missed it, but I didn't see mention of "plastic" wedges. That's why I don't post much in this thread, my stuff is old enough that it's not relevant. Most of my old axes pre date plastic wedges, so if they were used to drive wedges it would have been steel. Even at that, I can see a feller using one to drive steel back in the day. They were just tools, used till used up, then get a new one. I threw the Plumb you hung for me one time, and I could see it under rotate in slow motion, and hit square on the end of the handle. It's been sitting on a soft blanket ever since. I'm not sure who was traumatized the most, me or the ax. I think it's feeling better, we'll find out at the GTG.

I might have missed it, but I didn't see mention of "plastic" wedges. . . . Most of my old axes pre date plastic wedges, so if they were used to drive wedges it would have been steel.
I intentionally made a distinction, as many manufacturers note this. Steel-on-steel contact is hard on the tools, can send sparks and chips flying, etc.
Sledge hammers (and the hammer ends of some splitting mauls) are intentionally softer to allow their use on steel splitting wedges. Plastic felling / bucking wedges are OK with most axe heads.

Philbert

Technically a chopping tool!

This tree fell over in a snowstorm last October. About 20 minutes with the “grub hoe” and I had the roots chopped and pulled each section out separately with the truck.

We have several of these and although you don’t use them often, they sure come in handy for projects like this.

B8394370-A5A0-403E-8C23-2C2593D342CD.jpeg

This big axe works great for splitting. The one downside of splitting with an axe versus maul is sometimes the narrow head doesn’t spread the split out far enough and handle damage occurs. I should try to find some leather in the garage and wrap this. I sanded out the damage and treated with butcher block oil since my bottle of BLO is in another state.

6A1F18FD-FC17-4A90-BA69-22B9097A926E.jpeg D291003E-B8E9-4F94-824D-B8AC6E0947C3.jpeg

It could very well be a "fellers axe".I'd like to know just when and where the term "boys axe "first entered the english language.It is new to me but my boy years are way behind me.

I've wondered myself and researched it, though all that I was able to conclude is that it was as I previously described — in between a hatchet and an axe, so the term "boys axe" probably started as a colloquialism in some region and quickly spread, or more likely - it was a manufacturer's moniker to a particular model which was popular and thus became part of the lexicon. Much like people refer to facial tissues as "Kleenex", when Kleenex is actually a brand name for tissues, or Band-Aid, Jacuzzi, Crock-Pot, etc...

I might have missed it, but I didn't see mention of "plastic" wedges. That's why I don't post much in this thread, my stuff is old enough that it's not relevant. Most of my old axes pre date plastic wedges, so if they were used to drive wedges it would have been steel. Even at that, I can see a feller using one to drive steel back in the day. They were just tools, used till used up, then get a new one. I threw the Plumb you hung for me one time, and I could see it under rotate in slow motion, and hit square on the end of the handle. It's been sitting on a soft blanket ever since. I'm not sure who was traumatized the most, me or the ax. I think it's feeling better, we'll find out at the GTG.

I was actually referring to plastic felling or bucking wedges. A fallers axe is oftentimes used by sawyers as an auxiliary tool, sometimes carried on the belt in a scabbard or sheath. I'm speaking as an axe enthusiast and not as a professional logger or arborist.

I definitely would not use an axe to pound steel splitting wedges, not only is it dangerous but it will damage the poll.

This tree fell over in a snowstorm last October. About 20 minutes with the “grub hoe” and I had the roots chopped and pulled each section out separately with the truck.

We have several of these and although you don’t use them often, they sure come in handy for projects like this.

View attachment 654242

A cutter mattocks! They're handy alright, we often use a Pulaski for grubbing, trail making or stump rootball removal. Both are very versatile.

This big axe works great for splitting. The one downside of splitting with an axe versus maul is sometimes the narrow head doesn’t spread the split out far enough and handle damage occurs. I should try to find some leather in the garage and wrap this. I sanded out the damage and treated with butcher block oil since my bottle of BLO is in another state.

View attachment 654244 View attachment 654245

That's a nice looking Connecticut pattern axe! I'm on the hunt for one to add to collection. IMHO, leather doesn't last long for collar protection. Sinew or hide would be a better option. I've been using Kydex on my splitting axes and it is remarkably durable.

Some guys use small sledge hammers or mauls for plastic wedges. The advantages of using an axe include:
- the narrow poll lets you drive one wedge at a time when stacked (if you can aim);
- you usually need an axe anyway to clear brush, limb, drive out face cut wedges, in case your saw gets stuck, to look like a 'real' woodsman', etc.

Sledge hammer for driving forged, steel, splitting wedges.

Philbert

I completely agree with this. I have a short axe on the atv when cutting for driving wedges maybe with one hand or 2 but also because it's a necessary tool when cutting trees. The short axe is like a framing hammer, big power from a one handed swing. I have limbed with it on dead trees and small branches on libe trees.

My 13 yo son wanted to do something today so I put him to work reopening an old road behind the cabin. He put more use through the brush axe than his dad and Grandpa had combined.

I helped with the axe in the third pic and the Fiskars chopping axe. I switched to the Fiskars quickly as this one was too big for brushing.
F553206C-E6B2-48CC-806E-C9825D316570.jpeg ACBC64C3-0B33-45D2-A275-159ABB198061.jpeg 1BC36121-F3C7-40DF-84F8-A71F01C3FCF5.jpeg

View attachment 654242
I was just looking back over the thread. My grubbin hoe does get a good bit of use around the house. We're always planting new plants and getting rid of old ones, and it works well. But, the thing I really rely on it for, is breaking down truck, trailer, and tractor tires. If you ever go to a tire shop they have a big hammer with a spade on one side for breaking down tires. The mattock, on the spade end, is shaped almost identical to the tire hammer.

(Also shared in scrounging thread)

This larger axe that I rehung a few years ago worked great for splitting birch once it was halved. Stuck it real good the first time and had to rescue it with the maul.
85AE9620-CFA0-40F7-B660-36F72136AC5B.jpeg
May have shared before. I’m not a fan of sledge eye mauls. The wedge wood is trying to work it’s way back out on this one. Just too small of an eye IMO for the heavy work a maul is expected to do. It works well but if I lost this maul I definitely would replace it with an axe eye model.

23AB2123-F166-4721-A636-69DD672A41E0.jpeg

Good stuff. Sometimes birch becomes rock hard if it dries out after bucking but this split nicely.
B67A04F1-BDFE-401E-8EA8-84CA74BB3CF3.jpeg

Back