064 & ms660 compression test?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MG porting

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
OK I have two saws a stihl 064 av ported and decked and a ms660 wich has a meteor jug and slug ported not decked but I did a compression test on both of them and only got 100psi out of them? Yea right I say because you can barely pull them over and they both run stupid strong and start with two or three pulls cold so I'm sure I'm in the right direction and thinking that my compression gage is no good or I just can't spin them over fast enough to get the right reading. What are your guys thoughts on this?? And thanks to you all.

Have you used that gauge to check compression on saws before? If it doesn't have a Schrader valve at the end of the adapter where it threads into the spark plug hole, it will not give you correct readings.
Yes I've used it before on a 044 but that was five years ago and it does have the Schrader valve but it's been used a lot by a few of my friends who have drag cars so which does make me lean twords that it's time to replace it? Not sure though?

They have way more than 100 PSI if they run strong.
Yep and I'm going to have to go and just bight the bullet and get a new gage or try to chase down a Mac tool van down and see if they will swop it out not sure the one I have is getting up there for age. Lol

Be sure the spare cores are usually white and very light spring pressure. The tire ones are usually red and much higher spring pressure. You could use a proper white one and get say 180psi then use one from a tire and get 80-100 psi.

Be sure the spare cores are usually white and very light spring pressure. The tire ones are usually red and much higher spring pressure. You could use a proper white one and get say 180psi then use one from a tire and get 80-100 psi.
That's interesting because the one's that I have in the kit are red.

I bet your valve is stock open. That essentially adds the volume of the hose to the combustion chamber.
That makes sense I'm going to have to wait until Tuesday to get the right valves for it there cheep I did a test on my weedeater also and got the same results so I'm hoping it's just the valves and not the gage but it's a Mac so they should stand behind it and exchange it I hope.

Well no such luck on the new valves there going to see if they can order some I'm not going to hold my breath on that so here I'm going to wait until Friday then buy a new tester. I'll keep you all posted as soon as something comes up.

After reading this thread, I got a bit worried and compression tested my 064 and one of my MS 660 saws that I rebuilt. I measured 160 psi. from the 064 and 155 psi. from the MS 660. Now I need some horse linament rubbed on my right shoulder by LOML after she gets through watching the Yankees pound out a few homers.

After reading this thread, I got a bit worried and compression tested my 064 and one of my MS 660 saws that I rebuilt. I measured 160 psi. from the 064 and 155 psi. from the MS 660. Now I need some horse linament rubbed on my right shoulder by LOML after she gets through watching the Yankees pound out a few homers.
I'm not worried about the saws to much because the fact they run strong and will give you realign every time you try pulling them over I just want to know what the numbers are just because I new a year ago my 064 was tipping right at 195psi my ms660 feels like it's right up there to but having a problem with my compression gage is not fun I'll get it handled Friday and give you all my results. Got to love tools. Lol.

Well today I got my new compression gage set today to only find out that it didn't come with the wight valve in it $46 buck to find that out. Lol. Now I'm going to have to see when the Mac or SnapOn truck is is going to be in town so I can get the right valve this is kinda driving me crazy now. Lol

Well today I got my new compression gage set today to only find out that it didn't come with the wight valve in it $46 buck to find that out. Lol. Now I'm going to have to see when the Mac or SnapOn truck is is going to be in town so I can get the right valve this is kinda driving me crazy now. Lol
Hold the saw by the pull-cord handle with the bar and chain removed. Let it fall under its own weight. If it drops straight to the floor like a dead goose, it has no compression and needs a new top end rebuild. If it fails to fall and hangs on, the engine will probably start and run, assuming the carb, fuel lines, and spark are OK. But, that's a big assumption. Good luck.

Hold the saw by the pull-cord handle with the bar and chain removed. Let it fall under its own weight. If it drops straight to the floor like a dead goose, it has no compression and needs a new top end rebuild. If it fails to fall and hangs on, the engine will probably start and run, assuming the carb, fuel lines, and spark are OK. But, that's a big assumption. Good luck.
Lol they have plenty of compression I just would like to get an number that's all my compression tester I thought had the right valve but lending it to my friends all of the sudden it has the wrong one so I'll be getting the right one soon.

Back