New Stihl 241 or 261?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtown

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I want a lighter saw than my vintage 041. Planning to get with 16" bar. I keep tools forever which is why I am paying for pro series saw. Cutting small trees 8-10" and firewood.
Specs indicate the 241 is 9.9# and the 261 is 10.3#. Figured the extra power was worth the small weight difference.
Any thoughts?

Are you comparing the latest version of each? There is a full pound weight difference when fitted with B&C, fuel and oil. That's a big difference.
261 has .9 more hp I believe, so if weight isn't an issue or loosing a bit more handling to the 241, I'd go with the new version 261

I would recommend the 261, it is a beast of a little saw and it makes a full 1bhp more than the 241 or 33% more power. Stihl's website shows 9.9lbs for the 241 and 10.8lbs for the 261. One pound is definitely noticeable, but IMHO you aren't talking anything drastic especially when you get that much more power for that extra weight. A 16" B&C rips on the 261, I would imagine that a 16" B&C on the 241 would be the upper limits of it's ability to perform adequately.

Go MS241C-M.

In wood, even hickory, 10 inches and under you'll never notice the hp difference between the two. Difference in time in the the kerf won't amount to the proverbial hole in the snow. I use mine on the treelength piles all the time with no noticeable drop in production. It's not always about power, in wood that size the chain quality, type, sharpness and geometry will provide more performance than additional hp

Added benefit, you'll have the best handling saw for working in tight quarters this side of a top handle.

Take Care

Personally i would go for new version 261 for sure for 8-10" trees (especially hardwood) and firewood, it would be perfect, and would seem light compared to the old 041. It would fine too with an 18" so better reach and limbs fine too. For the hp and the cost, its tough to beat, just like the 550xp

If you won't ever cut anything above 10" diameter, I'd go with the 241, and personally I'd go with a 14" bar knowing that you get around 12-1/2" of usable bar. If you're exceeding wood that's 12" diameter then it's a no brainer, get the second version 261 with a 16" bar.

I just purchased the 261 V2 and could not be happier. I have a 30cc saw so I wanted at least a 50. But I must admit I may drop to 16 B&C from the original 18”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back