Falling trees with an Excavator

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get where ya all are coming from, but I think yer logic is flawed, WTF does anyone need with a 4 axle trailer? when yer trailer weighs 10k ya have to start asking hard questions like when is this too much?

seriously we can go round and round on this... Ya all aren't going to change my mind, and I probably wont change yers...

But think if you will, how many drivers are running standard 2 axle trailers, vs how many are running 3 or 4 axle trailers? Then ask yerself what rates they are charging?

How often do any of us come across a log that weighs more then 8k, and even if we do its scarce and can be side loaded.

Then consider the royal pain it is too move a machine in the 300 or bigger class, chase cars, permits, lowboys with jeeps, gettin all said refuse up the mountain without incident.

Is it worth it?

Cost me $250 to move the 120 a week ago, add a coma to that if it was a bigger machine at least.

Also mule trains are all fine and good, but I ask... except for pulp, which pays diddly anyway, short logs don't pay squat either... why run em? Mix a few short logs in with the long logs, and maybe find a short logger willing to run without the pup, and poof no need for a massive machine to unload said pup. (and really its not like they put a whole lot of wood on them pups anyway).

what I'm getting at here, is big machines=big overhead=big maintenance=big bills=big insurance=big ****ing headache.

All of this mess so a guy can sit back at the end of the day and say. "look how productive we are, too bad I'm still broke"
Matt I don't know about you but a lot of the prices I get my 16-40's are the same price especially for alder cedar can have some price breaks some times and fir well domestic I make it up in footage as well as scale. To the trucks and axles I'd say it's about 50/50 going into the export yards down here it's becoming common with the distance guys are having to haul. Have you ever loaded a mule train before? You put a lot of weight on those damn trailers, the last one we had out I could barely get them to weight at the top of the stakes then to the stacks on the truck. Most guys that move equipment I know do it by the hour say 125 an hour plus 90 to and from their shop. I know I'm not changing your mind and trust me I wouldn't want some that big but their is places that need or use them for a reason for production is one place yes we don't have the overhead that they do but you can't sign a contract to do a 100 acres in 2 or 3 weeks from cut to clean up either the guys that run them are sending 30+ loads a day. Heck last year a neighbor had a clear cut done a two man outfit came in with a new Doosan 250 with a 7000 logmax on it with a QC grapple heel and a older kobelco 250 shovel knocked out 20 loads a day in 10 hours off 75 acres.

To your digging I'm not sure how to do it but to me it reminds me too much of blow down and I've never cared for dealing with wind fall.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Do you need to cut the stumps off after or are you selling whole to the state to put in rivers for the fish ? If cutting off after may kill some chain from the dirt.

Matt I don't know about you but a lot of the prices I get my 16-40's are the same price especially for alder cedar can have some price breaks some times and fir well domestic I make it up in footage as well as scale. To the trucks and axles I'd say it's about 50/50 going into the export yards down here it's becoming common with the distance guys are having to haul. Have you ever loaded a mule train before? You put a lot of weight on those damn trailers, the last one we had out I could barely get them to weight at the top of the stakes then to the stacks on the truck. Most guys that move equipment I know do it by the hour say 125 an hour plus 90 to and from their shop. I know I'm not changing your mind and trust me I wouldn't want some that big but their is places that need or use them for a reason for production is one place yes we don't have the overhead that they do but you can't sign a contract to do a 100 acres in 2 or 3 weeks from cut to clean up either the guys that run them are sending 30+ loads a day. Heck last year a neighbor had a clear cut done a two man outfit came in with a new Doosan 250 with a 7000 logmax on it with a QC grapple heel and a older kobelco 250 shovel knocked out 20 loads a day in 10 hours off 75 acres.

To your digging I'm not sure how to do it but to me it reminds me too much of blow down and I've never cared for dealing with wind fall.

Short logs on average pay about half of what long logs will, regardless of species, about all I see on pup or mule trains around here is pulp.

Short logs on average pay about half of what long logs will, regardless of species, about all I see on pup or mule trains around here is pulp.
Matt if I'm sending the same amount of logs I'm ahead because of scale I'll have larger tops with less defect and less over run. When we ran for the company the thinning would always have a higher scale then the clear cuts doing long logs.

You should get a grinder. **** the logging. Grind the slash & stumps for others. especially stuff they could burn otherwisev so you can earn and sell carbon credits, mulch & organic fertilize. $?

Theres a dude around here doing just that, charges 10k just to show up with the machine, didn't bother to ask what he charged by the hour

Theres a dude around here doing just that, charges 10k just to show up with the machine, didn't bother to ask what he charged by the hour
I know a few guys that do nothing but the road side clearing for state and companies not sure what they charge an hour though.

If any of you want some practice. Bring your biggest hoe out to my place. I've got some suspect alders that are in need of falling.

Damn. My best 8hr day skidding was 3 loads! That was with a 648, pulling as much as it could hold/pull per twitch. Running in 4th-5th gear. (Any faster and it's way too rough!)

66CCCA7B-5442-4504-9DBC-EE2F140E5057.jpeg 750DA554-060F-4FAA-9E08-A227289775B4.jpeg About a month ago I was on a job in Atlanta clearing and grading. The general contractor wanted a big forked water oak took down. Issue was the tree was right next to the sidewalk and one half/fork of the tree was leaning hard toward the road and power lines. It was just me and the superintendent working that day. I hooked a choker cable high up on the tree and held tension on it with our john deere 200 LC excavator while the super used my husky 266se to cut it. We had no traffic control or additional help. Both of us were seriously on edge but thankfully it fell right where it needed to go and not one branch even touched the road. Could’ve been a nasty situation for sure. The other side of the tree/fork was leaning toward the site so i was able to put my bucket against the tree while the super again cut it and she fell perfectly.

17D36AD1-7390-4C36-BEE4-A55A19CE8924.jpeg 4F4A850F-596C-4962-955A-89A48B59A255.jpeg Took down 2 more oaks much bigger that the forked right next to a womans house on the same site. Luckily they had a slight lean toward the site. Just hooked the side of the bucket behind the tree while the fella cut it and laid them right over. One was kind of nerve racking since it wasn’t anymore than 3ft from the womans house. If it fell the wrong way it wouldve took the whole house. Thankfully everything worked out perfectly.

Latest posts

Back