Horizontal Chopping Stand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckingBear

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum, but was hoping that I might be able to get some help.
I'm part of a college logging sports team in California and we're trying to get some more horizontal chopping stands. We only have two stands which limits the amount of people that can practice at any given time. I've searched online and asked around past team members, but no one seems to know where/how to get chopping stands. Any direction would be much appreciated.

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum, but was hoping that I might be able to get some help.
I'm part of a college logging sports team in California and we're trying to get some more horizontal chopping stands. We only have two stands which limits the amount of people that can practice at any given time. I've searched online and asked around past team members, but no one seems to know where/how to get chopping stands. Any direction would be much appreciated.

Is there a welding class at your school? Other wise a local welding shop, or a buddy that has a welder and is pretty handy would be your best source since you have a pattern to go by.
I lucked out and found a used one for sale in the ALA news letter a few years ago. The shipping was more than the stand, but I didn't have a pattern to go by. Since then I've built several for local guy's.

Andy

Melissa?

Send the team an e-mail, I have scanned plans. Go to the CM or some Engineering department, I bet they have a lab and I bet they would build you something for cheap/free.

Hope you're well!

Let me suggest an easier way........

For twenty bucks you can make enough for the whole team.

Of course, if you can find somebody to weld some up for little or nothing, that is the way to go.:cheers: The welded ones are more convienent.

Ignore the file name, the picture got downloaded with the file from my wife's pre-school class trip...........

well, that's easy enough! I tried wooden stands, but I wasn't using the big spike that drives into the bottom of the block......thanks for sharing!

The spikes do help, those are a little too big. Nailing the sides in securely is also important. I use duplex nails, lag screw work too. Spiking the things into the ground helps too.

Last edited:
Hey cheese, I'm melissa's co-captain this year. Could you email me your schematics? We managed to get some parents to help out with the welding, but we don't have any schematics to give them. Thanks a bunch. You can email us at [email protected]

Or,

you can buy or copy one of mine;

picture.php

Weight is around 30 - 35 lbs each, you can drill holes in the base to spike it to the ground or lag it to a deck.

Most people just throw it down, spike the log in and start chopping.

Last edited:
Forgot to add earlier, been busy;

$100 plus local tax plus shipping on these, built when ordered, all are sold.

Sorry, my earlier pics got dumped somewhere? I don't know how to edit old post when the pic gets dumped, so a repost.

Did you get your stands built - underhand and standing block? Hope all the info translated all right, lets see a pic.

Yes I know Slingerland & Daryl Weakland, they had me modify, build and weld stands for them around 1998 or so. Been building and modifying them as ordered since then. I had ideas for beefier and better but the cost is alot higher, these designs are basic, reliable and affordable so that's the way I leave them.

Had ideas for an axe head also but the cost is stupid expensive to CNC spring steel or high grade stainless.

index.php

All 1/4" and 3/8" steel, base is 2" X 2" X 1/4" wall angle.

Last edited:
Hi folks!

Im new here. I coach a high school timber team in CT. We currently do axe throw, crosscut, bow saw, log roll, and pulp toss. I am hoping to get into standing block chop (horizontal chop) at some point and want to build a steel stand.

We have a great applied tech department with CNC machines and welding, but I need a good set of schematics and the ones on the STIHL site are not complete. If anyone has a set they can share for free, please let me know.

Thanks

I know this is an old thread- but does anyone have any plans they could share?

Latest posts

Back