Finally put the tractor to use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to use my 1710 for firewood this past weekend. Scored a load of black locust (green) from a guy who I was buying a bush hog off of. I had welded a pair of hooks on the loader and bought a pair of 22" spring loaded skidding tongs (timber Tough). The set-up worked great.
KIMG0526.JPG KIMG0526.JPG KIMG0526.JPG KIMG0528.JPG

Looks pretty slick. Nice size to be able to trailer if needed..

Not sure how I managed to upload 3 copies of that picture. The machine fits well on my 16' trailer, and will fit with the bush hog if I back it on and let the bucket hang off the back.

There is one set of weights in the rear wheels and they are filled. With that particular log, I still really could have used a big chunk of wood hanging off the back. Most of what I cut is just a little smaller that. Feeling pretty comfortable that it will handle what ever I throw at it so long as I take my time. Thankfully, most of my cutting is on level ground, but point taken about tipping over. Thanks for the advice.

Those log tongs are so nice to have, spent years chaining everything.

Yes, I'm VERY happy with the tongs. I ordered them from L&M fleet supply for around $55 each. They are the spring loaded version from Timber Tuff, and they worked GREAT. They never let go on me. I could position the bucket over the log, slide them on the log where I wanted them, connect the chain, get back on the tractor and off I go. The ONLY drawback to having them spring loaded was having to get off the tractor to take them off when I set the log down. If it was up tight against another log, it made it tricky to get it off. I generally work alone, so I think the trade off was well worth not having to get off several times to reset the tongs.

The little skidding set up on the back worked well for me too. I was able to drag that long (still attached to its other half) out to where I could get to it. It's just 2" sq tubing (1/4 wall) that I welded up with a hook on the end. I dropped that into the upright on my cheap 3 point to 2" conversion and it worked like a champ.

Back