Almost ready to Mill my Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marine5068

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have most of the Red oak out of the bush now and will need to raise it up to help my milling with my new CSM. (One more 12 footer at about 24" diameter to skid out)
I'll be using my Stihl 044 to cut it into boards, just not sure what thicknesses and how many of each yet.
Logs are from 12" to 20" in diameter.P_20180617_165825[1].jpg
Any suggestions?P_20180617_165805[1].jpg

Some nice straight logs there. For slabs, I usually go 2". Probably 1 1/4 if just plain boards. I found a big cherry I'm itching to get to!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
Love to find me some Cherry logs to mill too.
I had one years ago but no way to mill it then. It was dropped off to me for free by a fiend clearing a building lot.
Here's a pic of the nice one I cut into firewood years back...eeek.
Cherry Log spring 2011.JPG
Cherry Log 2.JPG

I finally pulled the trigger and bought a good log tool to help position the milling logs.
LogRite Cant Hook.
I got the 60" version for ease of moving real heavy logs.(either long or large diameters)
Kind of excited to see it arrive by Purulator next week.
Squee !!!
View attachment 659415 View attachment 659416
Good investment! I never leave home without my cant hooks. I have a Woodchuck dual with the jack attachment and a smaller Dixie. Love them both! Such a time and back saver.

Good investment! I never leave home without my cant hooks. I have a Woodchuck dual with the jack attachment and a smaller Dixie. Love them both! Such a time and back saver.

How do you like the jack attachment? Some say its not worth the time and money for doing firewood.
I have never used one but it looks and sounds great not having to bend down as far or get your chain in the dirt, that kind of stuff.
I cut lots of logs into firewood blocks and would buy one to use.

How do you like the jack attachment? Some say its not worth the time and money for doing firewood.
I have never used one but it looks and sounds great not having to bend down as far or get your chain in the dirt, that kind of stuff.
I cut lots of logs into firewood blocks and would buy one to use.
I really like it. Big logs, I usually cut and roll. Small logs, I can get them up and just go to town. I also find it very handy in the woods. When things get all tangled up, I use it to wedge things loose and buck long logs into shorter lengths.

I really like it. Big logs, I usually cut and roll. Small logs, I can get them up and just go to town. I also find it very handy in the woods. When things get all tangled up, I use it to wedge things loose and buck long logs into shorter lengths.

I may order it for my LogRite then.
I just received my LogRite Cant hook tool today and tried it out on the biggest log on the ground and it works AWESOME.
I didn't even use much force and just rolled that 12', 20" Oak log all over the place with ease.
LOVE IT....

I may order it for my LogRite then.
I just received my LogRite Cant hook tool today and tried it out on the biggest log on the ground and it works AWESOME.
I didn't even use much force and just rolled that 12', 20" Oak log all over the place with ease.
LOVE IT....
They're a valuable tool. I usually keep the jack on the Woodchuck and use my smaller Dixie for moving smaller rounds. It's only about a 2 1/2 foot wood handle but I love it. Many of my friends laugh at me until they use them! Lol. I actually favor the Dixie until the logs get big. Hard to beat the feel of the wood handles.

They're a valuable tool. I usually keep the jack on the Woodchuck and use my smaller Dixie for moving smaller rounds. It's only about a 2 1/2 foot wood handle but I love it. Many of my friends laugh at me until they use them! Lol. I actually favor the Dixie until the logs get big. Hard to beat the feel of the wood handles.

Also, Logrite makes the Stihl branded cant hooks. If you have a nearby dealer, you may be able to get the jack from them.

I don't care for a log jack when bucking firewood. I'll cut 3/4 way through and roll the log over. If I have a helper on hand, I like to have a peavy and a can't hook. One guy can take the spike on the peavy and stick it in the ground at one end of the log, and the other guy takes the cant hook and rolls from the other end. The end with the peavy stays in place and the log will roll in a big arc. The other thing I often do is kick out a hole under one end and roll a floor jack under it, then lift the whole end off the ground and slide a few big limbs under the log. When Dad was still in business, we had a bunch of long handled cant's and peavey's, and we had a bunch of broken ones. The guys would get a long handle and then put 3-4 guys on them and snap them off. I like the wood handled ones, just because I'm old, and that's how the used to be.

I don't care for a log jack when bucking firewood. I'll cut 3/4 way through and roll the log over. If I have a helper on hand, I like to have a peavy and a can't hook. One guy can take the spike on the peavy and stick it in the ground at one end of the log, and the other guy takes the cant hook and rolls from the other end. The end with the peavy stays in place and the log will roll in a big arc. The other thing I often do is kick out a hole under one end and roll a floor jack under it, then lift the whole end off the ground and slide a few big limbs under the log. When Dad was still in business, we had a bunch of long handled cant's and peavey's, and we had a bunch of broken ones. The guys would get a long handle and then put 3-4 guys on them and snap them off. I like the wood handled ones, just because I'm old, and that's how the used to be.
I agree Joe. My Woodchuck is a great tool but the wood handles just feel so much better.

Back