MS250 Oil Leaker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shennon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We bought a used MS250 for cheap, and it was missing the clutch washer. Once we got it home I started it up and we noticed it wasn't oiling the bar as it should, and was pumping it out from below the clutch drum. I took it apart, I noticed the bearing was so worn that only a plastic sleeve remained. Ordered a new oiler, hose & filter, bearing as well as a new retaining clip and washer. Thanks to this site, disassembly wasn't that difficult, but I have run into the problem. The previous owner ran the saw without the bearing and has worn away the case, as shown in the picture. I don't particularly want to buy a case. Any thoughts as I rummage through every pen, artery, straw, marker, blow gun to try to bridge the gap between the elbow below and the oiler? Is this area too hot to put a rubber-ish hose into? Thanks in advance!

20180624_152859.jpg

I would say just get a good used main housing and replace it. However, from the photo it looks like the end of the crankshaft is trashed as well. Looks like you have a parts (donor) saw. Hope you didn't pay too much for it.

Yeah, of course I paid too much for it. Case and crankshaft would put it over what a good used one would have cost. I still might plow ahead regardless and use it as a learning experience for future repairs on this or others. In the mean time, thank you Steve for the quick reply!

That looked like a fantastic repair! I was either leaning JB Weld or hot glue to try once I have the time. I do have a stained glass soldering iron with a wide tip to help smooth out the plastic. Thanks so much for the tips!

Back