Stihl string trimmer replacement head

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cycledude

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My Stihl string trimmer needs a new head, the Stihl prices for replacement heads are acceptable but I have always hated loading string into the stupid thing, any recommendations for a easier to use replacement head ?

Just saw an add for an new Oregon head not sure how it works maybe check out their website . I hate winding the line up on my stihl trimmer ! If you don't wind it on just right it jams the line up
WestenSaw

Is one speed head better than another ? Stihl over a certain after market one ? I did mention the new Oregon one but have only seen the video have not seen it in person. I would also imagine the after market ones come with adapters to fit Stihl trimmers .
Thanks
WesternSaw

Probably shouldn’t have but I wound up getting another Stihl head, obviously it works better than the old worn out one did but I haven’t needed to load any string yet.

I picked up a Speed Feed head that ECHO uses on some of their better line trimmers. Bought it on a spur of the moment decision.

I haven't even used it yet though. It came with adapters to fit various brands of line trimmers. I've become pretty adept at reloading the Stihl trimmer heads. It's now become so easy, it's no big deal for me.

A tip to keep them from getting all clogged up, it to take them apart after each use and hose them out. That takes me like a minute or so to do that.

Just saw an add for an new Oregon head not sure how it works maybe check out their website . I hate winding the line up on my stihl trimmer ! If you don't wind it on just right it jams the line up
WestenSaw
Anyone checked this one out yet ?
Thanks
WesternSaw

On the small to mid-size trimmers, go with the Speed Feed 400. I run it on my FS94R, FS74R, and my FS111R. I run the larger 450 Speed Feed on my FS240R.

I think the 400 allows for greater head speed and more manueverability than the 450, which is a benefit on a smaller displacement trimmer.

I don't have a problem with the standard 25-2 head that comes on the Stihl commercial trimmers, but time is money when I'm running a trimmer. Seconds equal minutes equal hours equal time and money lost on my jobs.

On the small to mid-size trimmers, go with the Speed Feed 400. I run it on my FS94R, FS74R, and my FS111R. I run the larger 450 Speed Feed on my FS240R.

I think the 400 allows for greater head speed and more manueverability than the 450, which is a benefit on a smaller displacement trimmer.

I don't have a problem with the standard 25-2 head that comes on the Stihl commercial trimmers, but time is money when I'm running a trimmer. Seconds equal minutes equal hours equal time and money lost on my jobs.

Would the Speed Feed 400 be good for the 90R Kombi machine ?
Thanks
WesternSaw

Back