Any Guesses?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale M

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
8EF4596F-55C2-4288-8804-E77B4AE0322B.jpeg 968C891A-1989-407F-8BFE-875FA407B5EB.jpeg DDA549DB-EE42-4B6D-83E7-2740AE0D33E9.jpeg Just picked up an old Stihl 026
$75 the guy said it’s been in his shed about 7 years and he can’t get it started.Thats all I know. It looks like it was hardly used and real clean.
Any guesses on what it takes to get
It running? The correct answer Wins
An Atta Boy :)
Dale M

As long as it wasn't straight gassed it probably just needs fresh fuel. Set both H and L on the carb to 1 turn out. If it still doesn't start or keep a tune then I would think a new carb kit will be necessary.

First off, what a score! :bowdown:

Make sure the fuel tank is empty. Put a new spark plug in it. Dump some fresh fuel in it. Commence to cranking. Make sure you are familiar with the cold starting process. Read the owner's manual if it has one.

Don't mess with bothering rebuilding the carb until all else fails.

I dumped the fuel out. Fuel line looked ok looking in the fuel cap. Put some
Trufuel 40.1 in it. Pulled the rope with the choke on full about 6 pulls it fired
Put the choke to the half way position and it started. Was a little boogy. Full throttle off and on and damn it works,
Idles nice. I took the chain off and put it on the sharpener and cut a 10” totally dead pine log and it’s ok, Not a 576xp but not 16 pounds either, Now what the
Hell do I do with it? Thought it would
be a project saw and give me something to tinker with. But it seems to run really well. So an Atta boy to those that said
Try fresh Fuel. :)
Dale M

Trufuel 40.1 in it. Pulled the rope with the choke on full about 6 pulls it fired
Put the choke to the half way position and it started. Was a little boogy. Full throttle off and on and damn it works,
Idles nice. I took the chain off and put it on the sharpener and cut a 10” totally dead pine log and it’s ok, Not a 576xp but not 16 pounds either, Now what the
be a project saw and give me something to tinker with. But it seems to run really well. So an Atta boy to those that said
Try fresh Fuel. :)
Dale M
I've been looking for a clean 026 for awhile. Need something small for trimming. 75 bucks was a steal on that one.

Try fresh Fuel.
:)
Dale M

That would be me..............:dancing:

Back