Husqvarna 55 or 450?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Kinney

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster...

In looking to buy a saw for all around use. I had a husky 41 for years and long story short I had to give it to my dad. So ive been cruising the local sites looked for a used saw. Would love to find a good deal on a pro saw but never see any posted and honestly I don't "need" a pro saw for my occasional use although most of the other power equipment I have for using at my house and rental is professional quality stuff like high end shindaiwa string trimmers, stihl blower, etc

So I've found two saws that look to be in good shape an older 55 and a 450. I know these are comparable but I'm curious which you guys would prefer. Is newer better? Or does the EPA b.s. give the older saw the edge?

A few might pick the 450, depending on what you use it for. It may be smoother, lighter, and better AV. Running NK chain, it may not be far behind the 55.

You see plenty of used 455's in that price range - newer model.

My understanding of the different models isn't the sharpest but from what I've been able to figure out it sounds like the 455 is less desirable as it weighs more and barely any more power.

I figured newer was smoother, wish I could run them side by side.

I'm leaning towards the 55 partly because I like old stuff, and being easier to work on is a bonus. If the 55 is similar to the 41 like it looks it would be real easy as I had one of those for almost 20 years as my only saw

I'd stay away from the newer plastic case homeowner saws 450-455. Look for 353, 346xp, 359, 357xp. Learn the differences between the models.
Cmon Don, no plastic saw love :heart: for the 450.
Nothing wrong with the plastic saws, and the 450 has very similar specs to the 353, I usually have one around. I like the plastic saws a lot for working with pine as long as you remember to clean them up before the pitch dries :eek:.
The 55 is a good saw, but oldass.
I wouldn't have said it that way, but it would have had the same intended meaning:cheers:.

Cmon Don, no plastic saw love :heart: for the 450.
Nothing wrong with the plastic saws, and the 450 has very similar specs to the 353, I usually have one around. I like the plastic saws a lot for working with pine as long as you remember to clean them up before the pitch dries :eek:.

I wouldn't have said it that way, but it would have had the same intended meaning:cheers:.
lol Why buy a plastic case saw when you can buy a metal one? :D :cheers:

My vote would be for the 55.
Out of my 10 or so 50-60 cc Husky saws my go to saw is a 55.
And I have a 455 I bought new several years ago. The 55 is fills lighter than the 455.
That being said, my 455 gets more use than my 50,51,257,259 or a couple 61's I have.

My vote would be for the 55.
Out of my 10 or so 50-60 cc Husky saws my go to saw is a 55.
And I have a 455 I bought new several years ago. The 55 is fills lighter than the 455.
That being said, my 455 gets more use than my 50,51,257,259 or a couple 61's I have.
Something must be wrong with the 257 or the 61's, and the 359(guessing that's what it is, if not please post pictures of the 259), they are great running saws with better power to weight than a 455 rancher. Now be sure I think the 450 and the 455 ranchers are great for their intended buyer, but the other saws I mentioned will outrun one and are lighter, the only down side I see with those if you already have them is that the anti vibe would be better on the 455.

The 450 is a great saw. Mine always starts and does what I ask it to. I would still go with the 55 though. But like I said nothing wrong with the 450 I just like the older saws. Time has proven their quality. I would not say those saws are comparable though. Ccs yea but that's about all. Cc doesn't mean much my 028 will out perform my 450 any day. O and I bet a 036 will out cut my 64 cc 390/290. Pro saws perform a lot better but for occasional use home owner saws are real great.

The 450 is a great saw. Mine always starts and does what I ask it to. I would still go with the 55 though. But like I said nothing wrong with the 450 I just like the older saws. Time has proven their quality. I would not say those saws are comparable though. Ccs yea but that's about all. Cc doesn't mean much my 028 will out perform my 450 any day. O and I bet a 036 will out cut my 64 cc 390/290. Pro saws perform a lot better but for occasional use home owner saws are real great.
Right on.
This is where personal preference kicks in, as I would rather have the newer saw in this case, even if I got it only to sell so I could get a newer saw :D. I've sold a good number of 55's both open port and closed port as well as 450's, both are great saws, I just prefer the 450 if it's a saw I'm going to be running on a normal basis. The 55 is a proven saw, just that it may be needing seals and an intake/carb work sooner than the 450 and the anti vibe is not as good, air filter is more work to get to and the 450 will be better on fuel.
The 55 is not a pro saw per say, but it does have a mag case, many of them were open port saws too.

Right on.
This is where personal preference kicks in, as I would rather have the newer saw in this case, even if I got it only to sell so I could get a newer saw :D. I've sold a good number of 55's both open port and closed port as well as 450's, both are great saws, I just prefer the 450 if it's a saw I'm going to be running on a normal basis. The 55 is a proven saw, just that it may be needing seals and an intake/carb work sooner than the 450 and the anti vibe is not as good, air filter is more work to get to and the 450 will be better on fuel.
The 55 is not a pro saw per say, but it does have a mag case, many of them were open port saws too.

I may be saying 55 because I already have a 450 and would rather have a 55 than another 450. I would probably spend the extra money on a new 450 over a used one. I've had mine for 5 years now, it was my first and only saw for fire wood for a while. The fuel economy amazes me and the anti vibes are nice. The wide open muffler sounds good and it always starts with in 3 pulls. Not like a stihl that has a special starting method.

Latest posts

Back