Kohler vs. Onan vs. Generac????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had little success in more appropriate RV forums, so thought I'd try here. I have a 20kW Kohler diesel generator on my RV with remote radiator (in lower bay next to generator). The coolant will get to 240 (according to gauge) on really hot days and when I go back to turn it off, its boiling out of the overflow tube on the plastic reservoir. There is a black reservoir on the unit itself with a 16lb cap, new thermostat. Now it may be that I'm not getting enough airflow across the radiator coils (1HP squirrel cage blowing hard), but I am looking for other reasons that the coolant in that plastic reservoir would be boiling repeatedly and the generator itself seems fine and not shutting down from its overtemp control.
20kw? It that a 4.154 or 4.154/200 series? If you don't know, post some pics of the engine, especially the injection pump area.

I been wanting to do it but right now it’s a Hobart 200amp/100% duty cycle with 4,000 watt generator. Being a welder it serves two purposes. But I been looking at a new welder with a 9,000watt or 10,000watt generator. Now the question is gas, propane, diesel.? I’m thinking diesel. If I don’t use it, it must be run at least once a week. At work we had a big CAT diesel powered generator to run the whole building even the elevators. It’s a monster. We ran it once a week. It shook the 30 story building at the first floor.

The last power outage we had lasted a week and a half. I also have a Coleman 3500watt generator. I ran my fridge and keurig coffee maker. As long as I get my morning coffee I’m ok.

We have a 10kw Generac LP gen. Installed in 1998. Auto transfer switch after about 30 sec. Runs for about 15 mins/week to keep the battery charged. Bullet proof to date.

I have a camp in wilds of Rochester,vt I ran it on 8, 6 volt deep cycle emergency lighting batteries with a solar charger and a 4hp gas engine with a alternator. The solar wasn’t big enough but testing the system proved it can be done.

If I was looking for a whole house gen I would want a diesel unit over all others. LP is les efficient and requires more gas then you think. It gets about the same millage as pump gas.
I would chose diesel because it has a long shelf life and gets better millage over gas or lp and you don't have the fuel issues like you do with gas. Lp is a dry fuel and has zero additives to prevent premature wear on the motor. The next big thing is it needs to have a inverter for clean power. You also want one that has a power regulator so when you are using les power the gen runs at a lower power output.
I have several Hondas and they have a echo switch that idles down the gen when power draw is lower, then when to turn something else on it idles up as needed.

A big 20 kv generator is going to use a lot of fuel and make noise at night. I use a 6 circuit transfer switch and a honda Eu 3000 for essential house circuits. It can run 24/7 and sip fuel. Can't even hear it run at night. I then have a 10k generac for the well and electric water heater. The generac only needs to run about a hour a day.This saves a lot of fuel. For 240 volt use I also like the Honda eu7000 with fuel injection. I think load sharing is the key.

A big 20 kv generator is going to use a lot of fuel and make noise at night. I use a 6 circuit transfer switch and a honda Eu 3000 for essential house circuits. It can run 24/7 and sip fuel. Can't even hear it run at night. I then have a 10k generac for the well and electric water heater. The generac only needs to run about a hour a day.This saves a lot of fuel. For 240 volt use I also like the Honda eu7000 with fuel injection. I think load sharing is the key.

When using a generator you need to do power management unless you want to wast money on fuel. If I use the gen I always power manage, unlike grid power.
I have 2 Honda eu3000i and love them. There quiet, and sip fuel and are inverter gens. The only draw back is they don't support 240. I would have to look into it but since I have two identical gen's I might could use them as 2 110 legs and get 220. Not sure if that would work.

I have a 22kw Generac whole house, I think half load is like just over 2 gallon an hour. Everything is automatic, it just turns on and runs. It's not that loud, I can barely hear it in the house, nothing the tv can't drown out.

sb47 I haven't looked into that specific model, but if there's parallel ports on it, you can. If not, I wouldn't try it, as they don't share a neutral. You can do that with the 2000 and 2200 I know.

I have a 22kw Generac whole house, I think half load is like just over 2 gallon an hour. Everything is automatic, it just turns on and runs. It's not that loud, I can barely hear it in the house, nothing the tv can't drown out.

sb47 I haven't looked into that specific model, but if there's parallel ports on it, you can. If not, I wouldn't try it, as they don't share a neutral. You can do that with the 2000 and 2200 I know.

Two gallons an hour? My eu3000is will run 10/12 hours on 3 gallons of fuel. 2 gallons an hour seem like a lot of fuel. There is an optional kit that will allow you to connect 2 gens together for more output. I don't know if will allow 220 operation or just more 110 power from 2 units. You can link 2 units but I'm not sure 2 eu3000is's will give you 220.

https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu3000is

Just talked to a factory rep and you can link 2 eu3000is's together but you still only get 110. There not designed for 220 operation. You have to move up to the eu7000 for 220 operation.

My Hobart gas engine welder has 110v & 220v. I think the 220v is 27 amps. Not much. I’m leaning towards a big welder.

My Hobart gas engine welder has 110v & 220v. I think the 220v is 27 amps. Not much. I’m leaning towards a big welder.

There's pro's and con's to all of them. It all boils down to what your gonna use it for most of the time. Mine are for camping and back up power for the home.
I have a dedicated line from my shop that runs to the back of my house. I only run the basics on gen power and use extension cords to hook things up. The runs are very short and not a big issue when the power goes out.
After one of our hurricanes we lost power for almost 3 weeks. I had one 5000watt Tractor Supply special and one Honda eu3000is. I used one gen and put the other on my mothers house. The Honda was quiet and very fuel efficient compared to the TS gen. The TS gen drank fuel like a dragster while the Honda sipped it like fine wine. I sold the TS gen and bought another Honda.
The amount of fuel the TS gen used did not offset the cost. You have to factor in how much your gonna use it and how much fuel they consume over time. I spent as much in fuel running the TS gen then I spent on the more expensive Honda. Over time the fuel consumption becomes a bigger factor then most realize.

The eu3000is will run 8 hours at full power (3000watts) and up 20 hours on echo or 1/4 power, on one tank of fuel (3.5 gallons)
The TS gen (5000watts) didn't have an echo mode and only ran at full throttle all the time and only ran about 6/7 hours on 5 gallons of fuel.
Not a big deal when fuel is 2,25 a gallon, but back when I needed it fuel was almost 5.00 a gallon.

I have a welder with an onan twin and I also have a Honda eu2000 and an eu6500. You can use the welder as a generator but the fuel consumption becomes a huge factor during an extended outage. You are better off throwing out all your food out of the refrigerator than trying to fuel the welder. It also makes an ungodly amount of noise. The Hondas are very expensive but they are so quiet you could use one as a pillow and they just sip fuel on eco throttle. They are also very well designed. The only thing I don’t like about the 6500 is the auto choke otherwise rock-solid machine. The new eu7000 is fuel injected and reported to be even better.

Two gallons an hour? My eu3000is will run 10/12 hours on 3 gallons of fuel. 2 gallons an hour seem like a lot of fuel. There is an optional kit that will allow you to connect 2 gens together for more output. I don't know if will allow 220 operation or just more 110 power from 2 units. You can link 2 units but I'm not sure 2 eu3000is's will give you 220.

https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu3000is

I forgot to mention, I'm running on LP. Also my Generac doesn't change rpm, it just runs at 3600, where you're will idle down as load goes down, that's where a lot of the fuel savings comes from. I checked into one that would vary the rpms, but there were more devices that I had to get, as when a big load device decides to run, it have to give the gen time to idle up so the power is available for that big load to turn on. I've seen my small Yamaha 2kw inverter cough and grunt when it was at an idle and I put a big load on it.

I forgot to mention, I'm running on LP. Also my Generac doesn't change rpm, it just runs at 3600, where you're will idle down as load goes down, that's where a lot of the fuel savings comes from. I checked into one that would vary the rpms, but there were more devices that I had to get, as when a big load device decides to run, it have to give the gen time to idle up so the power is available for that big load to turn on. I've seen my small Yamaha 2kw inverter cough and grunt when it was at an idle and I put a big load on it.

That's why there is a switch to engage the echo mode or not. If your running something that has a big draw when it turns on your not supposed to have it running in echo mode. It's hard on the gen and even harder on the appliance. Mine runs 20 hours on 1/4 load and 8 hours on full load on one tank of fuel. It holds 3 gallons.

For a portable unit that's great. Not so for a whole house stand along unit.

I've been toying with a second one for my rv when I'm boondocking yet need to be quieter than the built in unit. Will see, flying season is well over half over.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have an Oman Cummins 8000 watt gas gen electric start . This unit has been bullet proof for 8 years. We have multiple outages a year. Summer and winter it will run our well lights and one electric burner on the stove. Water heater is propane. If we're out for a long period of time I hook up my motorhome has a diesel onan 12500 . Tank is 100 gallons but it only will go to 1/4 tank before cutting the gen so you can't run it dry ,this unit is 15 years old again bullet proof . Pic at the Syracuse nationals last year 2003 Newmar Dutch star with a cat .

Attachments

• 20170715_193443.jpg
    20170715_193443.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 7
I moved into a new to me house this past summer and installed a whole house generator that runs off propane. I looked at Kohler and Generac and ended up with a 20kw Kohler. The installer is a big time generator dealer for both residential and commercial. He services all brands and in his opinion the Kohler's are better than Generac so he sells Kohler.

Aside from the hefty price I'm happy with the unit. I have it set up to self test every two weeks for 20 minutes. It comes in a nice composite enclosure that won't corrode.

With my job I may be gone for a couple of days when natural disasters strike and I like the piece of mind knowing the wife and kids will have power in my absence.
I'm doing the same or plan to at the end of this year.
I also have a job where I'm gone for a day and want my family to be safe and warm or cool too.
My house requirements are for at least a 14,000 kw unit but the 16,000 Generac is cheaper than the 14 so that's the direction we'll go and the 22.000 is only $1000 more so I can do that if I plan to add a fute building on my site as well. They are all WiFi enabled too.
I'm in the country with only electric power available and we've had 3 day outages before, but most are only half day or one day.
Propane is the way to go. It can stand a long long time without going bad and is very efficient fuel.
Was quoted about $6500 plus I'd need a pad and installation.
Nice thing is now with the WiFi units to monitor your system from anywhere.

That’s a lot of power. My eu6500 (5000w) can power everything in my house except the electric dryer and the range. I line dry my clothes so that’s not a problem and I use an imatinib butane stove and /or my weber grill for cooking during outages. I have a gen panel and an outside plug. During the summer, unless I know the outage is going to be for days, I usually don’t even bother to hook up the eu6500. I just grab the little eu2000 suitcase (1500w) and run two extension cords into the house. Plug in the fridge and use the other for whatever. The eu6500 will run 14 hours on 5 gals of fuel. The little suitcase can purr for 8 hours on one gallon. Just need to keep an eye on the hour meter and oil changes.

Latest posts

Back