First post, brand new Stihl 261. WOAH!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FORDY9

farmsteader
Reaction score
Hey all! Just wanted to drop by and post, instead of just lurk for HOOOUUURS on end as I have been doing.

I just picked up a new-to-me Stihl 261 (not M, based on what I can tell) from a tool repair shop. It was buried in the back with a 20" Farm Boss bar on it. The guy was more than happy to sell me a "2 year old Farm Boss homeowner saw" for $250, with pretty minimal wear on it. I didn't correct him that it wasn't the Farm Boss, but rather the 261!
Brought it home, and dumped the gas that I think was more oil than gas (!). It smoked like a son-of-a-gun (literally POURED out the exhaust) and was incredibly hard to start. Put some fresh gas in, cleaned off the plug (new one is on its way) and it fired up right away.

I've just gotta say .... WOAH! Not just like a "woah" but like a "HOLY COW!!!!!" kinda woah. I am SO impressed by this saw! I cut about 10 cord a year to heat my place, and for the last 8 years I've used a Made In West Germany Stihl 024AV. It got a death rattle in the piston, so when this 261 came up I snatched it. It's like a turbo charged beast that won't slow down! And from what I've read, I'm just scratching the surface of this thing!

So, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm sure I'll have questions when it comes time to Muffler Mod, and then maybe Port, and change bars and chains, and ....

Thanks all! Even if you don't hear from me much, you can know I'm lurking!

Standard carb or M Tronic have had zero issues with mine. Gut the start, do a mm & port it, then it really kicks ass.

Welcome to AS

Or just do a mm & tune (if standard carb), M Tronic version will adjust itself
Gut the start....Got a link to what you mean? Haven't heard that one yet.

I haven't run one, but the specs say it is a mean little machine. If my 290 were to come to a tragic fatal end anytime soon, the 261 would be its replacement.
When I bought my MS290 my dealer tried to up sell me to the MS261. I usually buy the best I can find, but for some reason I didn't do it. After I got my MS362CM I sold the MS290 with a new bar and chain for what I paid for it,

Welcome and congrats on your find. The 261 is the best 50cc saw on the market and you stole that thing if it was clean and in running condition.

Welcome and congrats on your find. The 261 is the best 50cc saw on the market and you stole that thing if it was clean and in running condition.

Best 50cc saw on the market is a stretch. I have the latest version of the 261 and its a great saw. I also have a 550xp which is a great saw. If you’re gonna be bucking smaller logs then the torquier 261 is the saw. If you’re gonna be limbing then the quick wind up of the sporty 550xp/JRed 2253 is the saw.

Best 50cc saw on the market is a stretch. I have the latest version of the 261 and its a great saw. I also have a 550xp which is a great saw. If you’re gonna be bucking smaller logs then the torquier 261 is the saw. If you’re gonna be limbing then the quick wind up of the sporty 550xp/JRed 2253 is the saw.

It's the best, agree to disagree.

coming from an 024 I guess a 261 deserves a "Whoa." lol.

Great price, good find. You will soon want a larger saw.....just because. Stay safe :)

Latest posts

Back