Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do they have the painted gas tanks that are sometimes an issue? (Is that a feature of all jreds of the era?)

It's not the painted tanks that are the problem so much as for a time they coated the insides with a green rubbery product over the paint......this did not last well. When it gave up it came off in sheets. The paint lasts fine as long as long as the same fuel is not left sitting in the tank for years and years. I rebuilt my 1978 49sp a few years ago and when I split the cases the fuel tank was perfect inside except from one little spot that showed slight wear from the fuel filter sat when running upright....but the paint was not worn through. I believe all Jonsereds tanks that were part of the cases were painted red inside at least from the late 60s, 70s and into the early 1980s.

Yes!!! Heh, they were suppose to be mine . . . . . I thought you didn't like me anymore. :p

No worries, I can't even remember what I was working on or if I eventually found the parts.

Thanks for saying something. :cheers:

Well......geeze....you shoulda nagged me a little.....I had 'em out and ready to go but somehow got forgot and set aside.....sorry......

Do they have the painted gas tanks that are sometimes an issue? (Is that a feature of all jreds of the era?)

Was looking for something else and came across these pics of my 1978 49sp rebuild done in 2011. Guess I was wrong.....the fuel filter did wear through the paint in the fuel tank...on both case halves but didn't cause any problems. This saw was worn out...needed a new crank, bearings, seals, P&C and the list goes on and on...inside the fuel tank was great though..... but it didn't sit around much on it's way to being worn out!!!

49 SP and 70E Build 013.jpg 49 SP and 70E Build 014.jpg 49 SP and 70E Build 015.jpg

Had a 630 out today cutting a load. Ran great. Muffler loosened up for some reason. Did field surgery and must have not gotten the cover onto the body properly. By the time I realized it, I had melted a decent hole through the top cover.

Any tips on repairing the black covers? More pissed at myself than anything.

I have an extra in good shape if you want it.

Have any of you converted a 920 to a husky large mount? Are the bar studs hen's teeth?

Yes they are.........but if you can find a set they will fit all the older 10mm slot Jonsereds......but alas I have found only two sets in many years of watching ebay etc.

Damn. Was hoping to share bars with my 630.
Yep real hard to find......I won't even say the price I coughed up for the first set.....obscene.......however the second set came to me in an NOS parts lot I bought....for less than the first set I think....the old 10mm bars are getting harder and harder to find too.....in new or good condition.

Yep real hard to find......I won't even say the price I coughed up for the first set.....obscene.......however the second set came to me in an NOS parts lot I bought....for less than the first set I think....the old 10mm bars are getting harder and harder to find too.....in new or good condition.

Maybe I should have held out for a 288. Bleh.

Oh damn. Half a mm ain't bad. I thought I'd be filing 2 mm. Can I still use the filled out bar on my 630 or is that too loose?

Oh damn. Half a mm ain't bad. I thought I'd be filing 2 mm. Can I still use the filled out bar on my 630 or is that too loose?
The 630 that I have came with a spacer around the bar studs and a 10mm bar. It's a perfect fit.

Attachments

• IMG_2168.JPG
    IMG_2168.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 13

I don't see why not. The large Husky mount bars seem to have a large variation in slot size. Some fit the JRed studs as is.
Put a vernier caliper to the ones you have and see what dimensions your getting.

I've modified D009 mount bars for a variety of saws. I have one modified to fit the older Poulans, Homelites and 10 series MACs as well as a Husky.

I use a 3/8" extension spring clipped to 3 or 4 coils for the ones with 5/16 bar studs.

I have been hitting the forest pretty heavily this past week. I am trying to get the wood gathered before the inevitable forest fires and limited/no access that follows. As usual, I took 3 saws. I started with the 630 and never looked back. 260 and 272 sat on the sideline. It was running well after I got the muffler mishap sorted out. Fearless saws.

Hopefully you are all finding some time to get out cutting as well.

I have an extra in good shape if you want it.

Have any of you converted a 920 to a husky large mount? Are the bar studs hen's teeth?

I appreciate the offer. I went and tried to heat mine up with a gun and push whatever plastic was left back into the void. Not going to work.

What year is your cover from? Mine is '82. I believe they changed the front fastener location around 91/92? I think around the time of the 625 II? Later ones were to the rear of the top front starter cover fastener. Earlier ones were about a 3/8" closer to the front.

I appreciate the offer. I went and tried to heat mine up with a gun and push whatever plastic was left back into the void. Not going to work.

What year is your cover from? Mine is '82. I believe they changed the front fastener location around 91/92? I think around the time of the 625 II? Later ones were to the rear of the top front starter cover fastener. Earlier ones were about a 3/8" closer to the front.

89 I think. It's an old style cover, has the shorter muffler.

The closest factory service manual I have is for the 510/520. It doesn't give a torque spec., just says tighten alternately.

Later model saws spec sheet gives spec. and most are 10-12nm. (88-106 inch lbs.) for cylinder.

chainsaw spec torque.PNG

Thanks denny. I torqued to 100 inlbs. Looked at service manuals for olympics and poulan.
Got that little sucker running. Only took two seals, cylinder gasket, ring, carb kit. Let it idle for 5 minutes. No stumbling or wandering. Gonna cut with it tomorrow. Got it tuned bout quarter turn rich for couple tanks
Now im looking for the starter switch. Its in pieces. Broke at the seem in the plastic housing
Anyone got a lead on that switch?
Btw, i was gonna flip this thing but may not. What would be good asking price? Except for the switch everything in excellent shape. Chain about half left

Yes they are.........but if you can find a set they will fit all the older 10mm slot Jonsereds......but alas I have found only two sets in many years of watching ebay etc.

partner bar stud 001.JPG

Found these in my NOS pioneer/partner stock. Fits P55-P85 and others 505220914.

Just for fun I googled this part number and it came up IN STOCK at Sears partsdirect, $2.61 ea. !!!

Back