Stihl 044 Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FBarber1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys,

New to the forum, this is actually my first post.

Picked up a 044 off of a guy on Saturday for $300. Saw has 120# of compression after 3 pulls, runs/cuts well, and has some material transfer on the exhaust wall of the cylinder. Curious what some of the saw builders on here would suggest that I put in it. Planning to do a dual port muffler, but don't really know what else I should be looking into.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Welcome to the site!

Find the reason that the piston is melting to the cylinder wall. Lots of possibilities here, but with an older saw some likely suspects are cracked rubber hoses, bad crank seals, bad carburetor, bad fuel mix. Only after determining and correcting that should you proceed with piston replacement.

Sounds like a plan to me. Anything in particular to start with or just start tearing into the laundry list? Seems like the saw was running a bit too lean, but have it 4-stroking without a load now.

Obviously fuel mix is an easy one to remedy (empty and refill with the mix I have). Also forgot to note that the rings have visible scoring on them. I will take a look at the hoses tonight and get back to you.

Thanks for the help.

+1 on the pressure/vac test.

I recently rebuilt the carb and replaced the rubber on an 044. And I’ve got another 044 I was given that is a total basket case right now. It definitely needs a piston and probably a cylinder though. I need to determine if it has a leak that caused the failure in the first place... and I’ve got a few other saws that I tinker with.

So, I just ordered a Mityvac 8500. It will do pressure and vacuum both. If you plan on working on saws much it’s definitely a good investment. You’ll need a couple other things too... search for pressure testing and you should find a few good threads on here. There’s some pretty good videos on YT that show you how to do it too. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MityVac 8500 kit with plugs, an old cut up bicycle tire Inner tube to block off the muffler (obviously make sure no holes in that piece of tire).. mix up a small spray bottle of water with a couple shots of dish soap and spray it all down including seals with a bit of pressure and watch for the bubbles

+3 on the vac/pressure test. My guess is you’ll find some rubber/seal leak if it’s an older saw. If you plan to keep it, I’d replace as much rubber pieces (seals, intake, fuel/impulse hoses, filters etc) as possible to be on the safe side. just my opinion tho.

No point in new piston/cylinder swapping if the saw might just smoke the new. Post pics of the cylinder/piston if you do pop the top or can get at it, possible you could save it and the best place to ask that question is here :cheers:

Welcome to A/S!

Edit: also check to see if there is any wood chips or bar oil under the clutch cover, if found.. the entire saw is prob not worth saving so I’d offer you send it my way to be properly disposed of :laugh:

MityVac 8500 kit with plugs, an old cut up bicycle tire Inner tube to block off the muffler (obviously make sure no holes in that piece of tire).. mix up a small spray bottle of water with a couple shots of dish soap and spray it all down including seals with a bit of pressure and watch for the bubbles

+3 on the vac/pressure test. My guess is you’ll find some rubber/seal leak if it’s an older saw. If you plan to keep it, I’d replace as much rubber pieces (seals, intake, fuel/impulse hoses, filters etc) as possible to be on the safe side. just my opinion tho.

No point in new piston/cylinder swapping if the saw might just smoke the new. Post pics of the cylinder/piston if you do pop the top or can get at it, possible you could save it and the best place to ask that question is here :cheers:

Welcome to A/S!

Edit: also check to see if there is any wood chips or bar oil under the clutch cover, if found.. the entire saw is prob not worth saving so I’d offer you send it my way to be properly disposed of :laugh:
Sneaky...

Update:

Took it over to my Stihl dealer last night; I know them pretty well. Had a torn intake boot and bad impulse line. So the plan is full replacements for the boots and hoses, carb rebuild, and ordered an OEM jug and piston kit.

The good news is that the bottom end still looked really good.

Welcome to A/S!

^^ Now that is just plain funny! Haha. I only found 1 chip, so I think it can be saved :laugh::laugh:

Actually had another member ask if I was interested in selling it as well. I'm not sure what its worth exactly. If the amount you guys are willing to pay is the same, I have to honor the fact that he contacted me first. Hope that doesn't cause any issues.

Actually had another member ask if I was interested in selling it as well. I'm not sure what its worth exactly. If the amount you guys are willing to pay is the same, I have to honor the fact that he contacted me first. Hope that doesn't cause any issues.

It would just be a spare on the shelf for me, so he can get it

Your laundry list should include: crank seals, fuel line, fuel pickup body, spark plug, sealant, carb kit. And what ever components you need pertaining to the P&C.

It would just be a spare on the shelf for me, so he can get it

Thanks for understanding! Not trying to cause issues, just trying to be as fair as possible. What would a used jug be worth? I honestly have no idea.

Update:

Saw has all new crank seals, rubber hoses, filters, P&C. Ended up changing out some parts that were probably okay, but spares aren't a bad thing! Thanks for the help & advice guys!

Any suggestions on break in?

Run it like you always will. No break in procedure necessary. The only thing I do is run it for shorter times and let it cool down to give it a few heat cycles, then check all hardware.

Latest posts

Back