Which carb for my 036?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm having problems keeping my 036 (NOT PRO) running and I'm pretty sure its a carb problem. After searching threads here and looking at P/Ns that I've seen on line I'm a little confused. I noticed Baileys lists two different ZAMA PNs (C3A-S39B AND C3A-S31E) which don't seem to line up with any of the PNs I'm finding here. I've also noticed a Tillotson HE-20A available, but that doesn't line up with what I'm reading here either. Can anyone give me the right P/Ns for Tillotson and Zama carbs that should fit my 036, or at least how to tell which 036 I have to know which carb I should get?

Thanks,
Mark

My plan is to rebuild the current one (original) and keep it as a spare. Right now, I'm not even sure which one I have, so I want to get a good carb that I can bolt on, tune (if needed) and put the machine back to work.

The tinkerer in me really wants to know what the difference is between the S39 and the S31, and what ever Tillotson carbs were on these saws. Partially to understand the difference, but mainly to identify what I actually have.

PM Sent

The Tilly you want is a 43B. It’s supposed to be “the carb” but I believe it’s temperamental and tough to deal with.

Don’t buy the “Tillotson X-change” carb. It’s simply an AM China carb with a Tilly plate on it.

The new $20 am carbs work, and they are made on the same line as the OEM Zama. In fact, the earlier ones even said Zama on them.

Just need to swap the metering covers and you’re good to go.

The early Zama that say “Hong Kong” on them are very good carbs and jetted slightly richer than the new stuff. They are worth rebuilding.

Definitive Dave sells the carbs. Search for Chainsaw Conservation Components.

The S39 is all the carb you want on a stock saw and is much more stable, easy to tune and kept tuned for a regular work saw. The other carbs mentioned will all work but the bigger carbs are much more temperamental/ finicky to keep tuned correctly and are more suited for ported and modified saws used by experienced users/tuners.

Any of them will work. I have several used S39, if you'd like one just pm me your address. I'll rebuild & test it while the hood is up.
Can you rebuild and test either a HK43B tilly or C3A S39B ? I've put kits in them but justed sprayed passages, no ultrasound cleanings, have put other carb on and saw has plenty of power then. Sorry that I;m replying to such an old post put getting desparate,

Any of them will work. I have several used S39, if you'd like one just pm me your address. I'll rebuild & test it while the hood is up.
I know its an old post but can you still rebuild and test 036 carbs ? Do you ultrasound clean, ? I've got 2 that I rebuilt but did not ultrasound clean and still thay have low power, I've put another carb on saw and it has good power then.

Latest posts

Back