Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Dolkita recall of the 79xx saws (and others) has washed ashore here in NZ now. The reason is stated thus:

"The automatic chain brake activation is not smooth and when a kickback occurs the chain brake may not stop the chain as expected"

The saw models:
DCS6401, PS6400, DCS7301,PS7300, DCS7901 AND PS7900

So is a 24 to big for the ported 590 or to small for the 7910? Decisions Decisions

Well the dolmakita 7900 I have ordered (still waiting.... Looking like early August delivery) comes with an 18" . It must be under powered.

It does seem slightly odd to me to sell an 80cc saw with an 18" bar tbh.

The Dolkita recall of the 79xx saws (and others) has washed ashore here in NZ now. The reason is stated thus:

"The automatic chain brake activation is not smooth and when a kickback occurs the chain brake may not stop the chain as expected"

The saw models:
DCS6401, PS6400, DCS7301,PS7300, DCS7901 AND PS7900
You too, oh dear.

Stingy oiler? I saw something recently... You tu...ah no....AboristSite. Mastermind I think, modding a stihl oiler to increase flow. Might work on a dolmar too, dunno.

I had brought along a saw to cut this tree after work but my neighbor got to it already while I had been out of town for a few days. I see the stump did an “up-dee” as I thought it would. Real clean wood despite what looks like a crack in the bark, if I get another larger saw I’ll call up my buddy to bring his CSM up and we’ll make some boards.

D968DCDC-0CBD-4921-94ED-55AF4F1A691B.jpeg

Smaller bars on big saws are fun. :D The 20" on my 395 shreds EVERYTHING

I find a 20" bar to be too much for my 261, but not enough for the 661 to really load it down unless I'm noodling. Noodling with that saw is a ton of fun, especially with the rakers dropped down just a wee bit, makes for some pretty thick noodles though. I guess the point of this, is that I need another saw, somewhere in the 6 hp range. Might have to get a 461 here soon.

looks like you have it on the run bud!
There are dozens of 12-24” diameter trees down. If I had a means of skidding them up the hillside I could lay in enough wood for a decade.

At this point I’m high grading it. Unless it’s drive-to access I’m just letting it lay unless it’s hardwood.

Well the dolmakita 7900 I have ordered (still waiting.... Looking like early August delivery) comes with an 18" . It must be under powered.

It does seem slightly odd to me to sell an 80cc saw with an 18" bar tbh.

You too, oh dear.

Stingy oiler? I saw something recently... You tu...ah no....AboristSite. Mastermind I think, modding a stihl oiler to increase flow. Might work on a dolmar too, dunno.
Yeah, 18" is for fun times bucking small wood or cant races (?)/post ripping(?). Just don't be tempted to take the rakers down too low that you vibe the byjebus out of the PTO-side bearing, crank, etc. But it sure is fun tearing through small wood when bucking up for firewood. It's also fun bringing the rakers back up to a more sane height and seeing how big of a rim sprocket you can go to to increase chain speed instead.

You can mod the oiler yourself if need be:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/dolmar-makita-oil-pump-upgrade-modification.264696/
I find 32" to be the oiler limit and possibly a wee bit beyond it when bucking dry, dense wood. So if you don't plan on going beyond that, you should be fine. Sometimes, something simple like making sure the oil hole on the bar is lined up good and possibly enlarged a wee bit can make a big difference too.

Good luck with the new saw delivery. I'm sure you will find it a deal that was worth the wait. Will be interesting to see what these saws are priced at by that seller when they become available again, because that price was quite something!

Back