One reason I dislike oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
IMG_2320.JPG IMG_2321.JPG Whenever I split oak my hands always appear dirty even after washing multiple times and spending close to an hour in the pool. I use a splitter so I'm basically just handling rounds and splits. I will only wear gloves when it's cold.

If you got most of your digits working well nothing else matters. If you do not like the way your hands look like after you wash them do not wash them. I am certain the Oak wood will not cause you health problems. I struggle to wear gloves when I handle wood. I do not know how to run a saw wearing gloves. My having availability to Oak is essential. Thanks

If you got most of your digits working well nothing else matters. If you do not like the way your hands look like after you wash them do not wash them. I am certain the Oak wood will not cause you health problems. I struggle to wear gloves when I handle wood. I do not know how to run a saw wearing gloves. My having availability to Oak is essential. Thanks
I know that oak would not cause health problems as I use it in my smoker, but I like to keep my hands clean anyway. I get grease under my nails when working on the car but I keep a can of GoJo close by.
When working with wood I don't need the fine dexterity to feel for a bolt lining up and threading in like with car/equipment work so I always wear gloves. Saws have big handles and big triggers that I can easily feel through gloves and log splitter controls require even less feeling. Anything I lose in feeling while working wood is easily overcome by the lack of splinters and antivibration of a good set of gloves.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'll take black hands all day if that's what it takes to burn Oak year around.
I'll admit though, i wear gloves :)

Is tannic acid the reason for discoloring?
I've never experienced this discoloration and all I do is oaks, except rub off from the black nobs of the TW-6 valve handles.
Maybe you're you taking to many iron supplements? :surprised3:
Now the yellow jersey gloves...
Either way, your making piles of split wood in July...and I'm not up to it.
Good for you. Treat your crew well.

JR I think the reaction you have with Oak is that the wood is not perfectly dry so you are getting some of the pitch or sap on your hands. A good rule of thumb is to rub Vaseline in to your hands well before starting to work with the wood causing discoloration. If the Vaseline is worked well into the skin it plugs up the pores a little causing a barrier to contaminates. When I have a real dirty engine to work on it helps a lot to prevent the carbon from working itself into my hands and make cleaning easier. BTW your hands look better than mine anyway. Thanks

Gloves suck. I really hate to wear them unless I absolutely have to.

I was the same way until I dtried the "Nitrile" throw away ones. Cheap, last fairly well, light. I put mine on now as I exit the door no matter what I am going to be doing. Yes, my hands sweat a little bit but not enough to be a bother.

I always use the yellow cotton gloves. Buy the ten pack and each pair lasts for several cords depending on how rough the bark is. They also can be washed in the washing machine between uses.

Latest posts

Back