Cutting/Splitting for a Children's Camp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we were out in the woods today I kept an eye out for other species of trees. Was hoping to find a shagbark Hickory but no luck.

So far I’ve cut the following off this property:
White birch
Black birch
Red elm
American elm
White ash
Red maple
Sugar maple
Ironwood
Mockernut Hickory
Black cherry
Aspen
Red oak
White oak
Jack pine
Norway pine (planted)
White pine

Have also observed:
Yellow birch
Chestnut oak
Pear
Cottonwood
Pin cherry
Willow
Hemlock
Highly valuable black walnut

And I’m sure there are more. Pretty diverse for a 40 acre tract. Back home I’m lucky to have 4 or 5 species of tree outside aspen.

Just got out here yesterday-it’s been four long (and for me, eventful) years since I’ve been out here. The camp itself has come a long way since I was here. I didn’t come out in 2019 and then the two Covid years shut things down so finally back out here now. My oldest son is now working here as a counselor, he had gone as a camper every year until Covid.

They had a tree service cut down a few of the large dead trees such as the cottonwoods near the main house. Overall, the forest is in much better shape than it had been as we as we had cut a lot of dead/dying wood for five years straight. Granted a lot of that had been hard maple that had died due to root compaction as they expanded the grounds and just a number of other dead trees and nobody had cut down for years and years.

Back