Turning a 024avs into 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Hogden

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ok lads,
I have a good running 024avs and I want more power. So what do I need to buy for a 026 upgrade. I was thinking probably,
Carb,
Coil,
Muffler,
Cylinder kit and piston.
Cheers lads.
73057e415530a8aff5db043e1f3dfc4e.jpg
38cdbabc48ead940ede825fab27b805f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What carb is on it? They use the same carb, but the 024s often came with a wt22 which is on the small side. Wt194 was often the carb of choice, and maybe something has replaced it. It’s been a while.
Coil is the same
Muffler is the same - there are a few types though, some more open than others.

You won't really notice much difference. The 024 AV Super essentially is the predecessor of the 026. If it still has the genuine P/C on it, it will probably outperform any aftermarket solution...

I'd leave it alone, the 024 is a good saw, but it's a 40cc class saw theres only so much it will do.
And like Seam posted its basically a 026.
If your looking at putting the 026 pro jug on it dont. it has about 2-4mm longer stoke.
If I where you I'd start looking at the 60-70cc class.
Sorry I know it's not what you want to hear

It's just a project saw.
I have a 241cm and a 362cm as well.
But this little saw cost me nothing, so I thought I would like to get it going really good.
It has a Tillotson carb on it, but I'm not sure what model yet
I'd leave it alone, the 024 is a good saw, but it's a 40cc class saw theres only so much it will do.
And like Seam posted its basically a 026.
If your looking at putting the 026 pro jug on it dont. it has about 2-4mm longer stoke.
If I where you I'd start looking at the 60-70cc class.
Sorry I know it's not what you want to hear

What carb is on it? They use the same carb, but the 024s often came with a wt22 which is on the small side. Wt194 was often the carb of choice, and maybe something has replaced it. It’s been a while.
Coil is the same
Muffler is the same - there are a few types though, some more open than others.
It's a Tillotson carb

Ok lads,
I have a good running 024avs and I want more power. So what do I need to buy for a 026 upgrade. I was thinking probably,
Carb,
Coil,
Muffler,
Cylinder kit and piston.
Cheers lads.
73057e415530a8aff5db043e1f3dfc4e.jpg
38cdbabc48ead940ede825fab27b805f.jpg

Hi matt i did the same thing a couple years ago. I used a farmer tec 026 jug a meteor piston and caber rings. As mentioned the stroke is longer with the 026 what i did was sanded the base of the cyinder down to where i had 18 tho of squish between the piston and head. I did this with a tabletop belt sander working slowly and carefully to keep it as true as possible. I also did a woods port on the exhaust port and cleaned up all burrs and rough edges. I opened the muffler up as well. Also you need to cut the top cooling fins off for the 024 hood to fit. I ended up with an impressive saw for cheap. It doesn't seem to have gained alot of rpm but has tons of torque. I ended up giving it to my dad because he wanted a light saw hes been running it almost everyday throughout fall and winter for 2 years now with a 20in full size 3/8 bar and chain without any problems. Im not saying this is a proven method but it was a fun project and has been very impressive best of luck

Gday mate.
Thanks for the reply.
It was understanding that the 024avs (super) has the same stroke as the 026 and only the cylinder/piston needs to be changed?
Is this correct?
Hi matt i did the same thing a couple years ago. I used a farmer tec 026 jug a meteor piston and caber rings. As mentioned the stroke is longer with the 026 what i did was sanded the base of the cyinder down to where i had 18 tho of squish between the piston and head. I did this with a tabletop belt sander working slowly and carefully to keep it as true as possible. I also did a woods port on the exhaust port and cleaned up all burrs and rough edges. I opened the muffler up as well. Also you need to cut the top cooling fins off for the 024 hood to fit. I ended up with an impressive saw for cheap. It doesn't seem to have gained alot of rpm but has tons of torque. I ended up giving it to my dad because he wanted a light saw hes been running it almost everyday throughout fall and winter for 2 years now with a 20in full size 3/8 bar and chain without any problems. Im not saying this is a proven method but it was a fun project and has been very impressive best of luck

Gday mate.
Thanks for the reply.
It was understanding that the 024avs (super) has the same stroke as the 026 and only the cylinder/piston needs to be changed?
Is this correct?

Im sorry i overlooked the super part. Yes you are correct the 24 super is the same stroke as the 26 in all the saws ive had apart. You may still have to trim the cooling fins for hood clearance

Latest posts

Back