the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i use 8 bits every 24h and thats heating a shack thats as drafty as a tent

My place is well insulated and sealed up from droughts, but it's large so burn maybe double that.

In parts of Europe new places are sealed so well you can't get the fire going properly unless they have a flu heat exchanger so it heats the incoming air (expensive) or open a window. The kitchen rangehoods and bathroom extraction fans dont even work properly, same as above. The houses are just too well sealed to allow any air in so you can't get any air out. Great for maintaining a comfortable temp but not the most livable in my view, unless you go the expensive route of a heat exchanger.

My place is well insulated and sealed up from droughts, but it's large so burn maybe double that.

In parts of Europe new places are sealed so well you can't get the fire going properly unless they have a flu heat exchanger so it heats the incoming air (expensive) or open a window. The kitchen rangehoods and bathroom extraction fans dont even work properly, same as above. The houses are just too well sealed to allow any air in so you can't get any air out. Great for maintaining a comfortable temp but not the most livable in my view, unless you go the expensive route of a heat exchanger.

Yeah, if you install a wood burner, you need to install an air brick near the appliance, wonderful if you have thick stone walls in your old house, but thems the new rules ...........................

id like to make costom fire box with a air intake pipe from out side , with a dampner on the intake pipe. so it will not draw air from inside the house.

Yeah, if you install a wood burner, you need to install an air brick near the appliance, wonderful if you have thick stone walls in your old house, but thems the new rules ...........................

2t's idea is best, but who makes a fire box that can rear draw the fresh air or connect a ducted inlet too?

That would be super efficient

Half the problem with a fire box is it has to draw outside air in from gaps in Windows and doors and that air is freezing cold of a night from outside and cools the warm house, so need to burn more and more wood to compensate

2t's idea is best, but who makes a fire box that can rear draw the fresh air or connect a ducted inlet too?

That would be super efficient

Half the problem with a fire box is it has to draw outside air in from gaps in Windows and doors and that air is freezing cold of a night from outside and cools the warm house, so need to burn more and more wood to compensate

Whilst researching fireplace design, particularly foundation design using stone, there were several designs I came across that had air inlet points built into the fireplace to ensure fresh supply, from underneath and behind, or side to side of the fire, allowing some heat transfer to the incoming air.
Of interest, is that most older stone buildings would have air bricks placed above windows, that allowed air flow through the house, mainly from a combination of sub floor air bricks, that allowed cooled air to rise and hot air drawn out the brick, into the roof space/ and or outside, and it didnt matter which direction the wind was coming from, as there was always positive air flow through the house.

Some good ideas, but as we all know with todays draft proof house design, depending on where the wind is blowing from, and thus the high and low pressures around the house, a dedicated air draw point can either work well, or be hindered by low pressure and cause less draw through the flue.
Best results are given with a well designed flue, that is not affected by roof pitch, adjacent trees or buildings, and as mentioned adequate air flow to the unit/ s. and whilst a dedicated air supply source from outside is better than nothing, it still has its limitations.

Of more interest, visited some neighbors on the weekend for a motorbike play date with their 3 boys, my girls are 7 and 9, on a 50 and 80, and tore around the place clocking up 35ish ks, great way to spend the afternoon.
Got home and unloaded the bikes tired and cold in the dark, but who cares, was a great ride together. Annoying thing is that it would be quicker if we just rode there instead of packing up the bikes, and then unpacking them. :)

Back