Stihl ms 261 vs Husqvarna 550xp reliability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure the 261 is a good saw ..I have run a 550xp sometimes non stop for a good 12+ hours wide open multiple days in a row I am on the 3rd guide bar everything is still original on the 550 except the air filter

If you don't follow hot restart instructions it can lose its mind but let it rev itself out for 30 seconds,its ready to work again

Mine probably needs a firmware update but it has faithfully cut all day and night for many years doing things a 50cc saw should never even attempt and doing it well

Thanks guys for the replys, I don't mean to start a stihl vs husqvarna war but I am just looking at saws to eventually replace my trusty 026 and I was researching both saws for problems and found heaps of problems with the 550xp and 562xp but nowhere near as many or the ms 261 and 362

I am sure the 261 is a good saw ..I have run a 550xp sometimes non stop for a good 12+ hours wide open multiple days in a row I am on the 3rd guide bar everything is still original on the 550 except the air filter

If you don't follow hot restart instructions it can lose its mind but let it rev itself out for 30 seconds,its ready to work again

Mine probably needs a firmware update but it has faithfully cut all day and night for many years doing things a 50cc saw should never even attempt and doing it well

I'm with you!

Go buy a 555 & save some $$. Its about the same size if not smaller than a 261 with a decent bump in displacement. I own 550xp, ms261's & 555. Throttle response on a 550 is exceptionally good compared too a 261. The 2 models your considering have many differences both good & not so. The new version II ms261 with a factory light bar & ms362 double dawgs/roller catcher is a pretty formidable package. I'd get it in standard carb personally.

D
Go buy a 555 & save some $$. Its about the same size if not smaller than a 261 with a decent bump in displacement. I own 550xp, ms261's & 555. Throttle response on a 550 is exceptionally good compared too a 261. The 2 models your considering have many differences both good & not so. The new version II ms261 with a factory light bar & ms362 double dawgs/roller catcher is a pretty formidable package. I'd get it in standard carb personally.
Did you get your 261 from the US?

I've had my 550xp for almost 4 years now. No problems at all. I only do my own firewood in New England, no pro here. But I live the thing. It rips through whatever I ask it to. Reason I bought it is I still have my very first saw, a 266xp & the thing is a tank. No decompression release so if I ain't talking to it nice I seem to always rip off a couple of knuckle tops. And as I age I wanted a lighter saw. So glad I poked my head in here. I was thinking I wanted to try an 18 bar, googled it & an arbtalk forum popped up & people were saying no go on 18.
0745db74fba809f5c5691a3e49fcc823.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for the replys, I don't mean to start a stihl vs husqvarna war but I am just looking at saws to eventually replace my trusty 026 and I was researching both saws for problems and found heaps of problems with the 550xp and 562xp but nowhere near as many or the ms 261 and 362
If you liked the 026, you will love the 261, we have not had a lot of problems with the 261 , mainly operator error
I cant say on the huskies, I am not a fan of them, kind of loosey goosey to me

Did stihl put out a light bar in .325 ?

I want one.

D

Did you get your 261 from the US?
One from the US which is made at V/Beach, the other is OZ delivered built in Germany.
Did stihl put out a light bar in .325 ?

I want one.
Ya pretty sure you can get a roll-E-light in 16".325. But there were quite a few light bars NLA in 3003 mount but more have been added. Most of my lights are 3005 mount Picco bars in 10"/12"/14". I cut out sections of an 18" 'E' .325 bar ages ago before light bars were available, turned out good but easier to just buy one off the shelf.

Buying out of the US is no longer so lucrative. I bought a 550xp from ebay.com a few years ago it was exactly half the price of a locally bought 261 or 550. I figured I’d take my chances and so far it’s paid off.
I just had a quick look and can’t find any 550xp’s on eBay any more. But I did find a 555
$910 Aud to your door.
Of if you really like to take your chances you go for an Ag baumer!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HUSQVARNA-...0&_nkw=husqvarna+555+chainsaw&_from=R40&rt=nc

This makes the most sense. I've been interested in the ms261, but every time I pick one up I think Damn that's a chunky 50cc saw. The 550xp is slimmer and handles better, but still doesn't have that 50cc feel the 346xp or ms260 has. The 555 will absolutely smoke both these 50cc saws & feels no larger than a ms261.

I'm not hiding the fact 5 series have had their fair share of issues but many people run them day after day with good reliability. Mine is a 2014 that's had not software upgrades and has given me no trouble, runs hard. You won't find a physically smaller 50cc saw than the 550 nor a faster acceleration than what they are stock. I'd buy what you like most & feels best in hand. There are things I like & despise about both saws having owned them for half a decade now. But a 555 could be a smart choice too, very underated saw that's pro build quality without the XP badge.

Buying out of the US is no longer so lucrative. I bought a 550xp from ebay.com a few years ago it was exactly half the price of a locally bought 261 or 550. I figured I’d take my chances and so far it’s paid off.
I just had a quick look and can’t find any 550xp’s on eBay any more. But I did find a 555
$910 Aud to your door.
Of if you really like to take your chances you go for an Ag baumer!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HUSQVARNA-555-18-CHAIN-SAW-NEW-RETAIL-20-Bar-and-Chain/202353535560?hash=item2f1d35ea48:g:L34AAOSwWwtbNROM&_sop=16&_sacat=0&_nkw=husqvarna+555+chainsaw&_from=R40&rt=nc
Ya, I bought all my saws and saw stuff out of the states a few years ago when our dollar near matched theirs, today that's changed and you can do as well locally if you keep a close eye on the saw market. We have had the 556 husky on the shelves here for a few years now but there over a grand & I paid $450 for a near new one out of the US & $430 for a 550 with 2 tanks run through it off Mesupra. I've been eyeing off the SX-82 & newer SX-92 Bauma saws that are big bore Husky 372 copies. They look like cheap fun play horsepower but for work I need hassle-ish free gear.

Just a Humble opinion, the 555 makes an awesome all around saw. The 555 is a sleeper and hasn't had the teething issues the "stuffer crank", rev boosted 562 similar saws had. Not certain why but as an all around smaller saw its real tough to beat a 555. In the "money where your mouth is" department...I have a couple of 550xp projects, but they are still....projects. Mean while a few 555-560 inspired saws live in my truck. Have for a while now.

And nobody knows what’s wrong with my freezer...?

Bummer.

I’m waiting for fuel injection. And then a few more years till it is sorted out. Then I will buy my 750xp.

A MS 261c with 3/8 lo-pro chain is a sweet-combo ... especially when modded !

Back