Vermeer 372 operator presence system?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you verified that the problem is with the operator presence system and not with the clutch itself? I just replaced a Vermeer clutch that had some kind of short in it that when the clutch got heated up it would not engage unless you tapped on the clutch cover, strange but they do go bad. Of course, this clutch had about 1500 hours on it so was time to go anyway.

But rather than defeat the operator presence system, why not repair it so that it works? I have been running their machines pre and post operator presence systems (last 15 years) and have not had any problems with the system at all. And it's not a bad thing to have the added safety measure, especially if you have employees. It might be a simple replacement of one of the joysticks. If the green light comes on when you touch each one then they are working, the problem would be somewhere else. I have heard that they are pretty hard to defeat, not just a simple electrical plug like to disconnect the autosleep.

Stumper63

Hey Ken welcome to the forum. I've owned a 372 for about 5 years and a thousand hours. The controls are very sensitive to dirt and grime that builds up on the handles that might cause a slight electrical resistance leading the machine to thinking your not there. Clean with carb cleaner, maybe a real light touch of 220 wet&dry sandpaper using carb cleaner as the "wet". Here's what is also important. When starting, have key in run position, with motor off, touch each of the 3 controls one at a time, getting a green light from each before going to the next. On my machine at least, if I get a green light on all three, touching any of the three will keep the clutch engaged. If say, I just have one green, then any time I take my finger off that one, no matter I'm if I'm touching any of the others, the clutch will disengage. Using the above I've learned to grind and not hate the operator presence system too much. Other than that enjoy the machine. It's well made, well balanced, decent power with a very reliable Yanmar diesel.

Have you verified that the problem is with the operator presence system and not with the clutch itself? I just replaced a Vermeer clutch that had some kind of short in it that when the clutch got heated up it would not engage unless you tapped on the clutch cover, strange but they do go bad. Of course, this clutch had about 1500 hours on it so was time to go anyway.

But rather than defeat the operator presence system, why not repair it so that it works? I have been running their machines pre and post operator presence systems (last 15 years) and have not had any problems with the system at all. And it's not a bad thing to have the added safety measure, especially if you have employees. It might be a simple replacement of one of the joysticks. If the green light comes on when you touch each one then they are working, the problem would be somewhere else. I have heard that they are pretty hard to defeat, not just a simple electrical plug like to disconnect the autosleep.

Stumper63
Hey Ken welcome to the forum. I've owned a 372 for about 5 years and a thousand hours. The controls are very sensitive to dirt and grime that builds up on the handles that might cause a slight electrical resistance leading the machine to thinking your not there. Clean with carb cleaner, maybe a real light touch of 220 wet&dry sandpaper using carb cleaner as the "wet". Here's what is also important. When starting, have key in run position, with motor off, touch each of the 3 controls one at a time, getting a green light from each before going to the next. On my machine at least, if I get a green light on all three, touching any of the three will keep the clutch engaged. If say, I just have one green, then any time I take my finger off that one, no matter I'm if I'm touching any of the others, the clutch will disengage. Using the above I've learned to grind and not hate the operator presence system too much. Other than that enjoy the machine. It's well made, well balanced, decent power with a very reliable Yanmar diesel.

I know this is an old post but I'm having this problem today two of my hand grips do not since that I and touching them. I see someone has written about cleaning them I don't understand what you're cleaning. I don't really want to rewire the machine but I am the only person that ever uses it anyone have information on why theg don't work

Back