Stihl 025 Won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK - Time to clear some things up and make others murkier:

On the compressed air: that was the original already non-working carburetor and it was out of a half-dead can. Definitely low pressure and intended just to be sure the passage was open. I understand the comments and concerns - especially with the diaphram - and delicate parts, but again that was with the carb that is already in the trash can, and not with the brand new carb that is currently on it and has been for over a week of failures to start... At this point not a factor in the trouble-shooting - although very valid points and I will heed your advice in the future. I just don't want to bog us all down in paths that are not worth going down at this point.

Pictures are attached and show:
Parts laid out on the bench in the oder which I believe the guys claiming upside-down fuel line are asking for. I won't argue with you - you guys have rebuilt more than I have, but this is NOT the way the saw came to me, in this configuration the fuel pickup does not "ride" the bottom of the tank as well as the other direction, and in this configuration this is the first time I actually "kinked" the line as has been mentioned several times, and it pinched between the carb and the apparatus under it when reassembling. I "cleared" that and you can all verify that in the assembled picture so we don't have to guess on that item later. I did try to run in this configuration initially and for all further input below in this post. For what it is worth, I had to fill tank 3/4 full to be sure the pickup was submerged in gas and assure myself there was not a "lack of gas" contribution to the poor results to follow.Parts Picture - Laid Out.jpg
This picture shows the order in which I put the parts back together for the testing tonight. Thought I would just show you that so someone can correct me if the parts here were in the wrong order (I am thinking gasket/metal dojiggy maybe?) from the previous owner. it looks logically correct to me...
Parts With Saw - Laid Out.jpg
Finally this last picture shows the carburetor reassembled and the fuel line in its final location. Of course I put the intake manifold, air filter, and Summer/Winter shroud back on in the summer position. And tested the saw.ReAssembled.jpg

I got nothing. Not even a pop. I checked the spark yet again just to be sure and I have plenty. Not a thing... Put some fuel directly into the carb, and it idled perfectly until it began to run out then overrevved and ran out of gas. Tried it again, and it seemed to pump some gas, but eventually over-revved to the point of concern and I shut it down to do some carb adjusting to assure basic settings. Idle adjusted out 3/4 of the way, L adjusted out 1.5 turns, H adjusted out 2 turns. Tried again, would not start without adding gas. Got it to start, but wouldn't stay running and revved way up before dying on the vine (ran out of fuel). Back to square 1, but I think we all know and agree it is a fuel pumping/delivery problem.

On the up side it seems to be pumping chain oil like the exxon Valdez. There should be no problems keeping chains happy.

The fuel line now looks correct direction. Now there is a flat side of the fuel line tank grommet and it MUST be rotated so the flat side is parallel AND next to to the tank weld seam. This orients the pickup correctly in the tank.

Gasket setup should be in this order -
-Rubber intake boot
-Metal washer raised edge toward engine
-Carb gasket
-Carb

BTW, you are putting the black air filter mount on when you are trying to run the saw? It is *required* to provide pressure to seal everything up. Without it you have no pulse, no fuel, and a HUGE air leak which may explain your over-rev as the saw runs out of you shot of fuel.

You are also missing the the winter/summer air shutter in your photo which goes between the air filter and spark plug hole. The saw won't like engine heated air in the summer.

By 'overrevved' do you mean the RPMs spiked before it died?
You have secondary air getting into the crankcase if so. 025 is a clamshell, if you have new gaskets on the carb mounting flange and don't have them bolted down super tight - just north of snug is about right - I'd start suspecting your crankcase of having a leak or 3 in it. Either the dirko around the seam or the oil seals are done for.
That would also account for your impossible to adjust carburetor.

I usually go in through the exhaust port with something thin and plastic and stiff and just try and jiggle the rings a bit to make sure they're not sticking. It can be minor but you should be able to perceive movement.
Also, backhoe, I usually do vac then pres. I think it's gone back and forth but the current literature states pressure before vacuum can stuff bad seals up and make them appear good to vacuum.

also also, (OT) can I pick your brain sometime about 2 stroke carbs - specifically diaphragm types?

By 'overrevved' do you mean the RPMs spiked before it died?
You have secondary air getting into the crankcase if so. 025 is a clamshell, if you have new gaskets on the carb mounting flange and don't have them bolted down super tight - just north of snug is about right - I'd start suspecting your crankcase of having a leak or 3 in it. Either the dirko around the seam or the oil seals are done for.
That would also account for your impossible to adjust carburetor.

At the 22 years +/- age of that saw the seals are probably due. However, I have never seen one that leaked so bad that it wouldn't pump fuel. Is this a common occurrence? I did have one 025 that had a slight leak around the clamshell base. Pulled it apart and changed the seals as well. Should be good for another 20 years or so!

Well that's a good point. It's probably not the only issue but it sure sounds a lot like secondary air.
I had a 210 that refused to start until I replaced the intake gasket under the carburetor. Then it would fire right up.
In fact, if memory serves that saw had almost the same exact issue. Hard as hell to start, surged and died when it did. P/V revealed that to be the only leak, too.
I don't know if OP said he replaced that gasket or not.

Latest posts

Back