3 point hitch timber wolf tw3

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratton

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a tw3 for my 36 hp Mahindra tractor. Anybody out there in wood burning land have one. Any first hand knowledge would be helpful. Looked into the tw1, but figured for the same price I could utilize the tractor a bit.

I don't have one my self. Friend has a 3 pt spliter for his tractor a 4000 Ford diesel. Said it was so slow when he finished splitting a tree he took down the secondary grother was already 6 inches in diameter..

So he bought a stand alone splitter and uses the 3pt one he modified to split stuff in the woods he can't pick up. Just backs the tractor to thre log drops the 3 pt and splits on the spot.

:D Al

I don't have a Timberwolf, but I do have a 3 point splitter that's very similar. I had been lusting after an electric super split since I hate listening to those noisy splitter motors, but I decided after seeing @Sawyer Rob's tw3-hd that a three point splitter would be the way to go. I love mine.

@alleyyooper, I'm not sure, but I'd guess that your friend's splitter runs on the tractor hydraulics, which many of them do. You're right about the speed of those things. Unless your tractor has very high flow it won't be very exciting. The one that Stratton ordered is powered by the tractor's PTO via a 25gmp (I think) Prince hydraulic pump. So, depending on the cylinder size, they can be plenty quick.

Here's a video of mine in action. Sorry if you've already seen it. And a note that my buddy who we were splitting for specifically requested enormous pieces of wood. Normally I split them much smaller. As you can see, mine has an auto cycle valve, which I love, though it does require adjustment. In this video it's on my 38 PTO HP Kubota, which handles it very well, but it's actually overkill for most of what I split. I normally run it on my 24 PTO HP New Holland which is much quieter and uses hardly any fuel. I still wear muffs, but I'd much rather stand 10' from a 3 cylinder diesel than 1' from an air cooled Honda.

Ryan, thanks for the info, sounds encouraging. Let me give the my wood friends a little back story. In Ct I sell at least 150 cords per season. All the splitting done with a monster split fire on bobcat and 2 super splits. Transporting wood out of Ct is a nightmare and I figured I would utilize the tractor. My concern with tractor was cycle time,but the dealer assured me that with the pto it will be ok. Since I am in chill mode in Vt and transporting machines back and forth doesn't sound like fun, I went this route. Time will tell....

Back