firewood cutting rack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husqvarna257

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking to build a firewood cutting rack that I can stack multiple logs at once and have a positive adjustable stop. I did a search here and nothing of use came up, the images would not show. It kills me that I know that I've seen this already but I can't remember the member who built one. I plan to use a 4"-4" frame with pipe for the stop. Any pics would be great. I already have a firewood buck but I want to speed things up.

svk
I am looking at logs up to 16" most are smaller
sandhill crane
lots of good ideas from your rig I was thinking one cut and move the log but your set up is more efficient, thanks.

Built these a few years ago.
0042390535aa6f5ec6d223174d8a3075.jpg
ff08b88b07448f4bc9e4e9a81ac2d04d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Call me obtuse, but I just don't get it.o_O

You have a log and a chainsaw. Just cut it for Pete's sake. If you are worried about touching the dirt, buck the log 3/4 of the way through and then roll it over and finish it.:innocent:

I have a combo sandhill/casey creation and it keeps you pretty fresh. I load mine with usually 8-10 and roll them with my picaroon to the edge if need be. Chains stay sharper longer cause you are not running them through the mud.

But all that bending over....

I have a combo sandhill/casey creation and it keeps you pretty fresh. I load mine with usually 8-10 and roll them with my picaroon to the edge if need be. Chains stay sharper longer cause you are not running them through the mud.

This is where all my wood comes from, log cut offs from log landings. These guys cut everything on the ground and seem to get by OK. BTW, between the guy on the landing and the 2 fallers they put 5 gallons of fuel a day through 3 660/661's. Touching the dirt is a fact of life and is easily fixed with a file.

mjxs85.jpg

This is where all my wood comes from, log cut offs from log landings. These guys cut everything on the ground and seem to get by OK. BTW, between the guy on the landing and the 2 fallers they put 5 gallons of fuel a day through 3 660/661's. Touching the dirt is a fact of life and is easily fixed with a file.

mjxs85.jpg

Touching the ground isn't why I elevated my cutting. It was to eliminate as much bending over as possible.

Comparing a firewood operation to a log landing is Apple's and oranges. Are those guys bucking logs into firewood lengths and then lifting the bucked sections onto a splitter. 5 gallons of fuel through 3 660/661s a day? Or are they processing log length where the amount of bending over is limited to cutting and no lifting?

sent from a field

Everything they cut is to log length, they are loggers. I used to have back problems until I got serious about firewood cutting. Sure it's tough but the more exercise you get, particularly building up abdominals and back problems go away. Making firewood is my entertainment in the Winter in this God for saken State and keeps you in shape.

So says the little old retired guy with some chainsaws.

726c1l.jpg

Often thought of a cutting rack for smaller stuff. I get many limbs 3 to 8 inches in diameter. A rack would make them much easier to cut. As for the big stuff I have no way to lift them onto a rack. I normally cut them mostly through & roll them. Hard on the back? At times but normally do enough of it & other lifting my back stays in shape.

I cut all my wood to log length(8') unless they are monsters I can't lift with the skid steer. I store it stacked and when I cut and split I grab some logs and put it on my rack. I have a cut pile that I pick from then split. I grub plenty of chains in the woods but would rather spend my time at home cutting and splitting rather than sharpening. I'm no pro by any means but it is what works for me and allows me to use my time more efficiently throughout the summer. I am rarely in the woods once the leaves are in.

Everything they cut is to log length, they are loggers. I used to have back problems until I got serious about firewood cutting. Sure it's tough but the more exercise you get, particularly building up abdominals and back problems go away. Making firewood is my entertainment in the Winter in this God for saken State and keeps you in shape.

So says the little old retired guy with some chainsaws.

726c1l.jpg
Glad to hear your process works for you.

Some of us still have day jobs walking 10+ miles a day, building and installing gas collection systems, building infrastricture, performing surveys.

Just because some choose to expedite the firewood process doesn't mean they are out of shape. Every minute I cut off the process is a minute I get to relax, or spend time with the family, or tinker.

I could just as easily tell you I don't understand why you choose to do it the hard way. But I won't, because it works for you.

Cheers!

sent from a field

I cut most of the way through with one of the big saws, roll the log over and grab a little one to zip through the last little bit. If I had a loader I'd bring everything home in 8' lengths and make a cutting table. Most of what I cut is standing dead Red Oak in the 24" to 30" range. They are heavy. That's why I went to the motorcycle lift as a feed table. It saves the back.

Glad to hear your process works for you.

Some of us still have day jobs walking 10+ miles a day, building and installing gas collection systems, building infrastricture, performing surveys.

Just because some choose to expedite the firewood process doesn't mean they are out of shape. Every minute I cut off the process is a minute I get to relax, or spend time with the family, or tinker.

I could just as easily tell you I don't understand why you choose to do it the hard way. But I won't, because it works for you.

Cheers!

sent from a field

Heck I walk 1-2 miles every day and throw in 18 holes which is another 6.5 miles I get a fair amount of walking in. I never get a day off either, we play golf every day.

As far as "doing it the hard way". I disagree, this is how I get my wood:

261p65z.jpg

Cutting on the ground again.

wbc55f.jpg

mcrqeq.jpg

s1olzr.jpg

The wood is cut on the trailer and then rolled out the back or side. Then stacked on pallets until time to split. Then the splitter is moved to within a few feet of the rounds, the wood is split and placed directly back in the stacks. Seems pretty efficient to me.
Cutting on the trailer, (I normally have a few 6" posts underneath to save the deck) collects all the sawdust on the trailer which I can keep out of the grass. 1 trailer load of logs creates 1/2 cubic yard of sawdust.

wtt0zq.jpg

2zscpzm.jpg

Here is a few more:

1z23b51.jpg

2n62bq.jpg

2hxqez5.jpg

Here is what I pay my logger buddies with out of my orchard. I now have 700 trees so there is a fair amount of apples and can spare a few.

5zmx00.jpg

Back