Who does this crap some idiot drilled holes in the air filter on my dolmar 111

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before we all get totally pissed off how about getting a compression check. Follow this by seeing if you have spark after it gets hot. This could be nothing but a weak coil.If the cylinder and piston all look ok then it could be a electrical issue, Ken

So I've had this all about 2 years and I never checked the air filter because I haven't used it much until now I open it up and to my surprise some idiot has drilled holes all throughout the air filter it is definitely bad and I could see where sawdust had been entering the carburetor absolutely no doubt about it I did have the muffler off the saw it last week and I looked inside at the piston and it looked good but I've been out cutting wood and my saw would not restart after it was warm I was figuring that it had Vapor locked after I shut it off.
Wouldn't this post you off!
This saw might be all screwed now. I hear you can't get parts for this model anymore too

If you tear it down and decide that it it need a ring. I think it is 35 MM in size and the rings are no longer available, but a 032 stihl uses the same ring. I am basing this on a Sachs 112 that I rebuilt several years ago and I think the model 111 uses the same size piston. Sorry for the run on sentences and grammar. I am tired. On another not note I have a new piston and ring set for the 112 that I bought several years ago and never got around to using it. Paid 80$ for it. Will take that and I will pay shipping in 48 states. If anyone is interested PM me.Tom

If the piston looks good, don't tear it down. put some fresh mix in and go with a new filter. I have an old crapsman that won't start after it gets hot, the fuel is boiling cause the lines are too close to the jug, no way to re route them either. You may have the same problem. I solved mine. I don't use it anymore. Thinkinabout porting it my style.

That's what should be done to every one of those damn things, I bet it runs as good now as when it was new too. What a POS those things are.

Don`t ever start collecting saws, terrible disease it is, 1984 Pioneer NIB.

I looked at a saw for a guy it was a Pioneer.... 1100 I think. From the 60s maybe? It still turned over; had been in his garage for decades probably I think it was a 'gift' from his dad. I decided I wasn't too interested in vintage restorations.

Edit: I think it was actually an 1110.

especially folks who do not inspect something they run... sorry but whining when you have have had it for several years and bought it used....man up for your own faults.
I'll man up when you learn to read.
But here since you can't read I'll break it down for you since you cant figure it out.
I wasnt in to saws when I bought it. I bought it at a pawn shop. And I checked it then. Bought to trim a apple tree and flip since I got it cheap. Never sold it or used it again. Moved out of state. Noticed wood cost alot here decided to gather and cut firewood for money like 3 weeks ago. I've been doing this less than a month smart guy.
People like you come in all half cooked ain't got a damn clue what's really going on. Just leave it at that. I dont feel like debating or arguing.

I'll man up when you learn to read.
But here since you can't read I'll break it down for you since you cant figure it out.
I wasnt in to saws when I bought it. I bought it at a pawn shop. And I checked it then. Bought to trim a apple tree and flip since I got it cheap. Never sold it or used it again. Moved out of state. Noticed wood cost alot here decided to gather and cut firewood for money like 3 weeks ago. I've been doing this less than a month smart guy.
People like you come in all half cooked ain't got a damn clue what's really going on. Just leave it at that. I dont feel like debating or arguing.

Sir, I probably sound like a a$$ hole, but if you had just bought it and were so excited you went out to fire it up and play with your new toy and then after a day of cutting while servicing it found this I could almost (almost) understand....but two or three years? Even if you going to just "flip" it, would you sell it without inspecting it a little first? if nto then I would honestly be afraid to purchase anything from you as you would have excuse after excuse about why something was not your fault. 3 years ago i bought a saw off of ebay. it was 90% chinese parts, vice blaming the seller, I put the blame squarely where it belonged...on myself. I had a little bit of a pity party while trying to unscrew old frankensaw, but him and I have come a long ways, he now stands in as my loaner and is about 90% OEM at this point. many asked me why I did not make a big deal about it with paypal and ebay...I said then and I said it now, the seller worded it in such a way that it could seem like anything. it was my fault for not asking the correct questions. My fault...hold yourself accountable for your actions, your life will go smoother. If nothing else my family/my time as a boy scout/my time in the military/ my time as a father have taught me is that hold yourself accountable for all things, and you will generally have no complaints about life. And yes, I am extremely guilty of being an a$$ hole....but a fair and honest a$$ hole.

I buy used older husky saws and disassemble them when they arrive here. I make a list on what they need. Most need nothing while some need a few screws, decals or new plastics. Now I have a few orginal partners. It’s a hobby with them.

I did buy a used husky 272xp it was so beat up, I found the aircleaner full of pine tar looking crap. The po told me up front it rattled for three years. I’m thinking a new crank bearings, seals and cylinder piston. I factor in this extra cost with every used saw price. If it needs less I’m ahead of the game.

You see what happens when you put ethanol in the gas, Larry??!!??!! THIS is what happens when you put ETHANOL in the GAS, Larry!

YZRhIDa.gif

"Needs minor work but runs GREAT!"
I think it's more like methanol, or more accurately, pre-methanol....

I agree that the best action would be to replace the air filter, pull the muffler to check the piston condition, and then run it with good mix, if it is still going strong. Most material likely makes it on through the engine, though a check of the muffler for wood debris might be informative if not entertaining. OP, I'm sorry such a good saw was treated so poorly. Hope you caught it soon enough.

Back