Stihl 261 C-M bar length and a few other questions...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are made from the same materials as other Stihl chains. I'm not sure how they would dull faster. Can someone enlighten me? Is it the smaller cutter size?

Smaller cutters must be most of the reason. There's also less cutters on a given bar length, so fewer edges to share the same amount of work. Generally, the larger the pitch of the chain, the more durable it is.

I love my 261c. I run an 18" bar with 3/8" chain. It is ported as well. It's my grab saw of choice, as I like how it's light yet packs a punch. Was just out in the timber cutting some red elm, 16-19" in diameter and it did great. A bigger saw would have been better, but the 261c handled it pretty well considering it's a 3/8" chain. It was my 3rd saw and I used it so much I sold my 441c. I back it up with a 661c now. For me, it's a great 2 saw combo.

I'm running a 16", 3/8 pitch on my stock 261. I like the bigger cutters but it did slow it down a bit from the 16", .325 that came with it.

Latest posts

Back