Would you bite on a low priced MS362 that was left in the rain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4lane

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking at a low priced MS362c that is not running because it was left in the rain. What would you be looking for to judge whether this thing is not worth time/effort or worth a chance to fix it?

My main concern would be that there was water in the gas, it was run until it scored up enough for it to not run. But images of the piston from the exhaust don't show signs of scoring. What else could lead to it not running due to water, outside of little things like spark plug and coil?

UPDATE: Seller confirms it was left in the rain (no submerged), has spark, fires, but does not start.

The main bearings are likely rusted up and will need replaced if water got in the crankcase. The big end rod bearing may also be corroded.

I bit on one from a member here that had smoke damage from a garage fire, and it didn't look too bad internally. I'm porting it for a small cube hot saw.

It turns over fine so it’s not frozen up. Of course that doesn’t mean there isn’t some bearing damage, but...

Working them in the rain or leaving them in your strip over night is different than just letting it sit outside taking it for who knows how long or to what extent? How long did it sit before it was ran again?

Exactly the point of the post and my assumption that it possibly had been submerged. But in fact, I got more detail from the seller that it was just left in the rain. It turns over, has spark, fires, but does not start.

I’m wondering if it’s an m-Tronic issue. Could the solenoid have fried?

Back