Help with decision about lightning struck 80 ft white oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooke Baffuto

Reaction score
Our white oak was hit by a massive lightning strike. I had my parent’s “tree guy” come to look at it who was surprised that it was struck a little above halfway down but not at the top. Lots of bark is missing. He said it needs to come down to the tune of 3000$ and will have to remove part of my drive way to get his truck into the yard. This tree is very close to my house and if it falls it could definitely hit something vital. I would love to save this tree though but need to know if it has a prayer or does the danger outweigh the preservation ? Bear with me, I’m a nurse but not good with plants, trees etc. thank you for any help

Attachments

• 825F9FB3-F34D-4A50-8DB9-912EF177CE4B.jpeg
    825F9FB3-F34D-4A50-8DB9-912EF177CE4B.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 234
  • 726E2E1E-D7CD-4ACE-AE89-FDFB22190B20.jpeg
    726E2E1E-D7CD-4ACE-AE89-FDFB22190B20.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 223
Our white oak was hit by a massive lightning strike. I had my parent’s “tree guy” come to look at it who was surprised that it was struck a little above halfway down but not at the top. Lots of bark is missing. He said it needs to come down to the tune of 3000$ and will have to remove part of my drive way to get his truck into the yard. This tree is very close to my house and if it falls it could definitely hit something vital. I would love to save this tree though but need to know if it has a prayer or does the danger outweigh the preservation ? Bear with me, I’m a nurse but not good with plants, trees etc. thank you for any help
Looks beyond saving. Get quotes. If that strike looks strange to your tree guy then he has limited experience. I love trees too.

Also ask if tree service has a climber working for them. Make sure they understand what you want, complete clean up, stump ground or pulled, like it was never there. Or are you willing to do clean up?

Also ask if tree service has a climber working for them. Make sure they understand what you want, complete clean up, stump ground or pulled, like it was never there. Or are you willing to do clean up?
I can find people to do clean up. As long as it’s not harmful, I don’t care about having a stump- might make a nice seat. I’ve got a kiddo leaving for VMI so 3 k right now is painful, homeowners only covers 500$. I definitely want it done right , I just feel that people know that idk what I’m talking about so they could price gouge. Thanks for any help!!!

I would wait. As long as the main trunk is not damaged (split/cracked) I would take a wait and see until next year. If your tree comes back 80% it will be fine. The wound will take about 10 years to completely heal.

I would wait. As long as the main trunk is not damaged (split/cracked) I would take a wait and see until next year. If your tree comes back 80% it will be fine. The wound will take about 10 years to completely heal.

In a pigs eye. Splinters on the ground, bark blown off halfway around, half the height of the tree. It’ll never heal.

Will it heal? Perhaps, perhaps not. How long ago was it hit and what do the leaves look like today?

I do agree with diezelsmoke - if the rest of the tree is sound, wait and see what it does next spring. That will also give you some time to figure out how to finance the possible removal now that you have an idea of what it will cost.

A nurse that is used to things dying (just plants). That would make a great tv series. I’m not an arborist but that tree needs last rites before it becomes a hazard in a storm. Make sure everything is in black & white when a contract is signed. If you know people that burn firewood then just having the tree dropped and have your friends cut it up will save you money.

Huge bummer on this tree. It's difficult for any of us to say it will die from a few pics. If I were to make a wager, it would be that it will begin declining over the next few years. Decay will set into the exposed bark areas and weaken it structurally over the next few years. If it does happen this way, you may have a year before this thing dies and becomes pretty dangerous.

There may be some cracks or fractures in the trunk that we can't see here though. If that is the case it is a dangerous tree. It wouldn't hurt to have another opinion on it.

Good luck.

Yes ma'am I would cut it down a definite disaster waiting to happen me and my dad could take it down for 2500 let me know if you are interested also will not have to take your driveway out wow

Trees are very resilient.
1951 a maple in our front yard (I was a kid then) split right down the middle, 1/2 fell into the street. the other half survived till 1992.
Old school 'arborist' told pop to tar over the bare wood (coal tar in IL back then) which he did. That 1/2 tree was over the house for 41 years, finally died.

I'd leave it for a year and watch the branches next spring. Your HO insurance may have some suggestions or concerns, I'd get your HO insurers opinion also.

Caveat: as others have said, if full of cracks, then remove.

Yes ma'am I would cut it down a definite disaster waiting to happen me and my dad could take it down for 2500 let me know if you are interested also will not have to take your driveway out wow
Lol I'll do it for 1k no clean up everything cut to firewood length

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I do not think it will live long. Take it down asap as the longer you wait the less plyable the limbs will be when they are cut. The last limbs I cut down sheared with a partial cut rather than falling gently. Which caused a whole new plan for removing the limbs over the roof.

The good news it's not going anywhere for awhile, and you have time to have several company's give you a bid. I would take my time and wait till the tree business is slow and they need the work and you may get a better deal.
Take your time.

I’ve seen a few struck trees in my life so far and they can become dangerous with high winds. If you wait too long, the tree will become weaker and may rot or insects may find a new home. It being so close to your home, I probably wouldn’t think twice to cut it, especially with our winds and winters here. Better to cut when it’s sound and somewhat healthy rather than wait until it’s dying.

Good luck!

Back