Vermeer SC352 Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinandSons'stumps

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello guys! I am new to the site. I have been doing stumps for the past year. Found a great deal on a grinder to get my going. I have a 630B. Yes i know it is an older machine but i had the motor rebuilt and all new pulley's belts,bearings done last winter. I am considering upgrade my machine so that i can take on more work inside tight places. 630B is great just have to leave it hooked to something ( not going to push it around someones yard) What i found is a 2004 Vermeer SC352. It has 743 hours on it. The gentleman bought it 5-6 years ago with a new motor @ 650 hours. He hasnt put 100 hours on it. He told me he had to injection pump rebuilt recently. He no longer needs it. He lives in a remote area and he is backed up with tree work anyway and 99% of people dont care if they have a stumps left in their yard. He is asking $13k for the machine. What do people think of this machine. I want an honest review. I really dont want to shell out the money and have a headache. I hate turning down work because i cant get into a gated back yard. Thanks for the help. Hoping to go look at machine this week. What else should i be looking for? Thanks again!

I've used that machine before. It's good on solid ground but since it's only 2 wheel drive it will have a hard time on slopes and it's very wide. If it's what you can afford right now I'd go for it.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

No way- The motor in that machine has been hugely problematic for almost anyone who has owned it. Furthermore, Vermeer no longer supports it. There's a reason he put in a new motor at 650 hours, I've heard of them going at much less hours. There's was a guy on here a while back with two 352's, one always had a blown motor, blown turbo, pump problems etc.

I can only speak from personal experience here. I own a 4WD 372, it's money. Goes anywhere, great motor, extremely reliable, decent power, good balance. It's main fault is limited sweep. I've owned a 630B as well, and the 372 grinds a little faster, but not a huge difference. So don't expect a big gain here. There are other great brands out there, maybe others will ring in with their personal experiences

I would stay away from the Daihatsu motor as they've left the US market due to the problems they've had with that engine. If the engine has been replaced with a different brand, it should be ok.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Dont think you can remove the outter wheels. Looking at the other comments here sounds like you should look else where

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

We have a 352 and have replaced the motor many times. Now it has a Briggs Vanguard in it, but that motor alone was 3k. The outer wheels on ours do come off, two styles I know, either taking the one large bolt out of the center of the hub or three smaller (but long) bolts going around the outside of the rim. I think it drops its width down below 36". If you don't mind throwing an engine in every couple of years (takes only a few hours) they are good machines in my opinion.

All set guys! I ended up going with a Carlton 4012 with 44hp Diesel! Thanks for the help! I am selling my 630B if anyone is interested. Great machine totally rebuilt Wisconsin engine and a ton of new parts! Find the ad on here to read details!

Latest posts

Back