Compact or sub compact tractor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tractor brand recomendation

• Kubota

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • John Deere

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • New Holland

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Ls

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 10 14.7%

• Total voters
Go to the websites for the tractors and use the build your function to get the manufacturers list price, keep it handy, and then ask the dealer to write you an estimate on the tractor with zero percent for 60 months. Have them include everything, insurance, tax, everything, have them break it down into monthly payment on paper. If they cannot do this walk away from a crappy dealer, this is a basic sales service. Compare the price from the website to the estimate, if the tractor brand does not list the list price then walk away from a crappy brand.

Depending on the brand if you do not need the tractor until the spring I was told to hit them up around January to early February and see what was availible from the previous year. Some of the older inventory at the larger dealers is aggressively priced supposedly.

The compacts around here at least are generally a better deal used as there are a crap ton of them availible compared to subcompacts.

New Holland’s compacts were the best deal used around here, probably the third most availible.

I am in upstate NY and needed a 50 HP range tractor with bucket and 4wd since all my implements are for tractors in the Ford 800 series range. Everything used in the NE is high $$$$$. I started looking outside the box and getting a bit further west. Lo and behold I find a Kubota M6800 with a front bucket and only 317 hrs for almost $10k cheaper in Ohio than in my area. So I take the wife on an overnite trip to look at it. It was just as described and I bought it on the spot. The seller even knew a trucker that shipped it to me for only $600. The tractor is about 12-15 HP more than I actually needed but when it comes to snow it is a monster with the front and rear diff locks. best tractor for the money IMO. But way to big for a lawn. So in closing look further away than local and you may find something great for less money.

I am in upstate NY and needed a 50 HP range tractor with bucket and 4wd since all my implements are for tractors in the Ford 800 series range. Everything used in the NE is high $$$$$. I started looking outside the box and getting a bit further west. Lo and behold I find a Kubota M6800 with a front bucket and only 317 hrs for almost $10k cheaper in Ohio than in my area. So I take the wife on an overnite trip to look at it. It was just as described and I bought it on the spot. The seller even knew a trucker that shipped it to me for only $600. The tractor is about 12-15 HP more than I actually needed but when it comes to snow it is a monster with the front and rear diff locks. best tractor for the money IMO. But way to big for a lawn. So in closing look further away than local and you may find something great for less money.
You need to look out of your area for the deals. Trucking a piece of equipment is no big deal. I would look at the area's of the US that has lost there crops due to the dry weather folks are moving equipment to keep going and if a dealer had something on a lot in those areas you could get a deal.

I was split between one "do it all machine" and two pieces of equipment as i mentioned earlier in this thread. I talked to a lot of guys selling used Kubotas and two dealerships. Meanwhile i never quit looking for a mower. After trying to purchase a commercial walk behind for nearly a year i finally contacted an adult who could communicate, seemed honest, had exactly what i wanted and for a fair price. Turns out he was honest and I couldn't be happier.

Two things to mention, my yard isn't huge and i didn't currently own that great of a mower. I paid cash, my mowing time has been cut in half and I'm not shot for the day after I'm done.

I'm still searching for my other piece of equipment, I've made an offer on a Dingo, laughable bit of money separating us but i set a budget and im not budging and he's probably in a similar mindset. (Having sold quite a few things, i would say it's a buyer's market in nearly anything and he probably should have accepted it, rather than risk holding it for too long but maybe im biased). At this point I'm still open to mini skidsteers, skidsteers, and tractors of various sizes with loaders. The mower being out of the way i don't feel i have to compromise or toe the line for that perfect size.

I'm not saying this is the only way, i could have easily went the other way, only you know your needs, and we all have different goals and jobs. I would definitely suggest weighing all options and especially trying them out. Even it you had to rent something for $200 bucks just to play around and mow your yard you'll gain some perspective.

A nice commercial mower would be cool but I think the traditional riding mower fits me and my land scape better. It's hard to describe my property but it's basically 5 acres of mature woods that someone planted a house and yard in near the back of the property. Then there are other spots of grass. I have a 600 foot curvy stone driveway some field type areas and trails through the woods around the whole place. My concern with the sub compact is the ground clearance. I dont think a zero turn would work for me.

Ok I built my 2301 which would be what I want and we are at 20ish thousand so with my 3k down and zero interest I would be at 202 a month great. I will try to get that. As for ls they told me it would be about 17k and then 5.99 for 84 months financing so I'm over the price of the kubota for a cheap tractor...

I watched a lot of YouTube videos and the kubota is the real deal. I would really like to work out a deal on one. John deere is expensive plastic and the ls dealer sucks.

The ls dealer cuts out the middle man I was told... Ok for 16700 plus 8% tax and financing of 5.99 for 84 months I could buy a new Holland.

I would be happy with that price for a top quality tractor. If I could get a kubota for 17 to18 or a ls for 16 I would pay the extra. From all the YouTube videos i have been watching kubota seems like they go extra mile.

Anyone have experience with the landpro dealership they sell john deere but advertise 3.9 financing on all used compact tractors. They are in NY OH and PA. I think I'm coming to a conclusion and since my real need is a nice mower with a loader for occasional use I think a bx would work. Land pro has used bx 2660s and 2370s for 12500 and I really dont want to spend 20k on a tractor. If I could finance 9k I would be happy. I would like 300 hours or less but there's a sweet bx 2660 with an extra set of r4 tires a soft cab and power bagger with 750 hours for 12500. The hours worry me though. It is probably 20 miles from my house I might look at it.

I would find out who had it and check what the maintenance has been like on it. 750 isn't a lot of hours on that machine if it has had good care. I have 1,000 on a agco of that size and it has had zero problems.

The loader has all the paint on the bucket and from the pictures it looks real clean. With 2 sets of tires and the bagger I would think it was used mainly for mowing. To me someone who buys turf tires and r4 tires probably cares about their lawn and maybe the equipment. It's a 2011 so that's like 100 hours a year I would probably do 40. I think used and maintained is better than rarely used and not maintained.

I dont know that I'm ready to pull the trigger but it would save a lot of raking leaves for my wife and i like the extra set of tires.

I was at the kubota dealer today checking out the bx tractors and I asked about the b2601. I would love a b2601 but I owe 12k on the wife's suv and my truck has 180k miles on it so I dont think spending 20k and financing for 84 months is the best decision when I would be fine spending 10 to 12 on a used sub compact that will fit my needs.

There is always that balance on spending money. I would find out who had it most home owners aren't running a 100 hours a year. I would think a school or business had it. I do a lot of mowing with my zero turn at the farm and I average 75 hours a year this year has been wet and in Aug I still am mowing every five days. Over the years I have owned higher hour equipment and normally it works out. I do all my own repairs. As I have gotten older I will only buy higher hour equipment if it is a bargain. You will probably keep this tractor for a long time and with only putting 40 hours a year on it in 10 years it will be a lower hour tractor then.

My thinking is get a nice grass cutter with the little loader and if I need a bigger tractor some day I'll figure it out then. I need a new mower mine is shot and it 5 years old from home depot. So even if I do need a bigger tractor some day I'll still have a quality lawn mower.

If I mow 3 hours a week for 25 weeks a year that would be 75 hours and here it usually snows or is to cold 8 months a year.

Mustang71
Are you shopping on Tractor House. There seems to be a fair amount of those last two models your are looking at on there with way less hours for about the same money. I don't know if you need two sets of tires or not. My R-4's don't seem to damage the lawn.

I have not looked on tractor house. I dont need 2 sets of tires but it seemed like a cool added feature. That's y I'm not ready to go buy one today I'd like to find something I really want for the right price.

Back