Stihl 064 or 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cottonwood1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All,
I have had for a few years what I thought was an 064. The top engine shroud does cover the recoil starter all the way and there is a little gap. I have always thought the saw was close to my old 394xp in weight, but never really paid attention to it. I needed to do some work on it and was taking it apart and now I am thinking it may be a 066 with a 064 cover on it. It has a single keyway flywheel not poly, I tried the stick in the cylinder and then measured it and it comes up at 54mm which would be the 066. Even though the cylinder is the 54 that still could have been someone putting a bigger cylinder on the saw. It doesn't appear that the cylinder bolt holes were enlarge however which would indicate that it is a stock 066. No decompression valve so it would be a flat top 066 if it is that. Any other things to check to ensure it actually is a 066 instead of a 064? Need to replace oil pump, worm gears and possible crank seals so want to narrow down what it is for sure. Got the saw super cheap a few years back and kind of exciting to see it may actually be a bigger saw then I always thought it was. Thanks to all.

The early 066 would look identical to the 064 if you take the carb cover off, they share the same tanks and filter setups, as laslajohn said the case identification is the easiest way to tell, just remove the starter cover.
You have to wonder what OP actually sees when he removes his carb cover. To my knowledge, the 064 was never equipped with a decompression valve, but I suppose the early 066 may not have had one either.

Finally got the clutch off. I have the air cleaner as shown but some 066 had that too I thought I also have the indent as shown. The oil pump number is 1122 647 0401. I am not totally sure of the first four numbers as they are worn down but I think it is 1122.

It is a 064 must just have put on the 066 pull cover. The pump is similar to the 064 but I can’t find the correct part number that matches. Can you test a pump to ensure it is bad and isn’t just a block or the worm gear?

My pump has three tabs that are on it other wise matches the 064 pic. Can’t post a pic otherwise I would to help identify it.

Back