Huztl 372 kit - Needed/Recommended tools, OEM parts, etc?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring1898

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So, I have been itching for a new project (still have too many) and started researching the Chinese Kit Saw clones from Huztl.

I always wanted to play with a 372, and when I found a Huztl Seller on Ebay for a kit $200 shipped, and I had a 10% off coupon I figured it was the time to try. For $180 that gives me a lot of room to still stay under the $220 shipped price direct from Huztl (how do you pronounce that anyway).

A lot of people seem to have built the 660 and 440 kit saws, with the tools and OEM parts they recommend, but I haven't seen as many threads for the 372.
Anyone who built them (recently) that can shed light on recommended parts?

I am confident enough in my mechanics skills, but don't have the tools to pressurize/vac, split/assemble cases, test crank alignment/out of round, etc, so tool recommendations and cheap places to buy would be helpful too.

I don’t know if it’s worth it...
There are 2 threads on the 660 kit
One after the other......
5200 posts. At 30 seconds a post that is about 43 hours....
If you worked instead of reading you could buy a new 441 with the money. Or do a good dependable rebuild on an OEM Saw.
And they are still finding stuff to fix, check, or buy OEM.
I don’t see it.

Built and sold a 365/372 kit saw last week.

Never did a complete build of one before

Used all the parts out of the Farmertec box. Went very well.

Only complaint was the piston crown clearance came in at .060” with base gasket.

Sold it on C-list for $400 w/used 20” b/c.[emoji106]

Husqvarna IPL sucks tho.

I don’t know if it’s worth it...
There are 2 threads on the 660 kit
One after the other......
5200 posts. At 30 seconds a post that is about 43 hours....
If you worked instead of reading you could buy a new 441 with the money. Or do a good dependable rebuild on an OEM Saw.
And they are still finding stuff to fix, check, or buy OEM.
I don’t see it.

The point is, not many of us have the opportunity to rebuild an original. They just don’t turn up on local Craigslist and such.

So, bugger off and take your narrow minded opinions to some other thread.

e99364306b981fbe0ea52db1c6f3a8a9.jpg

I've been nothing but impressed with my 365/372 bb kit that I put together fairly recently. Imo it has been the best of the kits I've assembled and that includes two 660s. I had a small issue with a cracked case half but that was almost certainly a one off and in any case Huztl sent a replacement.

I think the only oem part I used was the small clutch side O ring / seal which it seems Huztl have never supplied with their kits. The rest was all Huztl / Farmertec.

A pressure/ vacuum tester (even just a cheap one) is probably the only special tool that is near essential though many (probably most?) People don't have one and get away with it a quick test can save a lot of hassle with running issues and avoid unnecessary damage resulting from air leaks.

Case assembly tools are nice to have and certainly make things easier but there are plenty of ways to assemble the case halves that require few or no tools at all.... there are plenty of YouTube videos covering that for 660s especially. Arguably the 372 case is easier as the cranks don't have the steps which the crank seals can get caught up on (where the Stihl clones do). Case splitter shouldn't be needed unless there's a crank or case issue later on (not that there really should be) again nice to have if your planning on working on saws but not needed for assembly.

Good luck with the build its quite satisfying to get one finished up and running.

Skip the junk chinesium 372 knockoffs and buy a beat up oem Husqvarna And rebuild it with OEM parts! Skip the chinese cases, Chinese cranks, pistons bearings or other chinesium. In the end you’ll be far ahead should you want to resale it. Chinese kits resale for a few hundred bucks at most if the seller is being honest. I wouldn’t buy a Chinese kit saw. Period. But now that I’m thinking about it maybe I’ll just start building Chinese kit saws and resell them to the unsuspecting! Now there’s going along with the Chinese business morales or shall I say model?

Built and sold a 365/372 kit saw last week.

Never did a complete build of one before

Used all the parts out of the Farmertec box. Went very well.

Only complaint was the piston crown clearance came in at .060” with base gasket.

Sold it on C-list for $400 w/used 20” b/c.[emoji106]

Husqvarna IPL sucks tho.
Hope you informed him it was a Chinese knock off saw!

So, I have been itching for a new project (still have too many) and started researching the Chinese Kit Saw clones from Huztl.

I always wanted to play with a 372, and when I found a Huztl Seller on Ebay for a kit $200 shipped, and I had a 10% off coupon I figured it was the time to try. For $180 that gives me a lot of room to still stay under the $220 shipped price direct from Huztl (how do you pronounce that anyway).

A lot of people seem to have built the 660 and 440 kit saws, with the tools and OEM parts they recommend, but I haven't seen as many threads for the 372.
Anyone who built them (recently) that can shed light on recommended parts?

I am confident enough in my mechanics skills, but don't have the tools to pressurize/vac, split/assemble cases, test crank alignment/out of round, etc, so tool recommendations and cheap places to buy would be helpful too.
Do you have 4-5mm t handles, screw driver set, map gas torch, carb cleaner, than it can be done. Use carb cleaner to check for air leaks. Plating on those cylinders are hit and miss, I gave up on using them, meteor or oem or forget it.

The point is, not many of us have the opportunity to rebuild an original. They just don’t turn up on local Craigslist and such.

So, bugger off and take your narrow minded opinions to some other thread.

e99364306b981fbe0ea52db1c6f3a8a9.jpg
Not narrow minded. A simple question.
Your experience seems different than the constant change of the 066 build.
And there are millions of beat originals out there.
Never bought a new saw.
Have they sorted it out or not?
Or is a simple question too much.
A lot of aftermarket stuff is as good or better!!!!
A guy that was just north of you named John Linebaugh built aftermarket stiff and it went World wide.

I've been nothing but impressed with my 365/372 bb kit that I put together fairly recently. Imo it has been the best of the kits I've assembled and that includes two 660s. I had a small issue with a cracked case half but that was almost certainly a one off and in any case Huztl sent a replacement.

I think the only oem part I used was the small clutch side O ring / seal which it seems Huztl have never supplied with their kits. The rest was all Huztl / Farmertec.

A pressure/ vacuum tester (even just a cheap one) is probably the only special tool that is near essential though many (probably most?) People don't have one and get away with it a quick test can save a lot of hassle with running issues and avoid unnecessary damage resulting from air leaks.

Case assembly tools are nice to have and certainly make things easier but there are plenty of ways to assemble the case halves that require few or no tools at all.... there are plenty of YouTube videos covering that for 660s especially. Arguably the 372 case is easier as the cranks don't have the steps which the crank seals can get caught up on (where the Stihl clones do). Case splitter shouldn't be needed unless there's a crank or case issue later on (not that there really should be) again nice to have if your planning on working on saws but not needed for assembly.

Good luck with the build its quite satisfying to get one finished up and running.
Thank you. You answered a question and I’m glad it went well

You gave information instead of an “oh Yeah “ lame answer.

066/372 seem worlds apart.

I get the distinct impression that most of the China parts bashers have not built one lately or not at all. [emoji849]

And I am tired of reading their ********.

Yeah, I built my first 361 two years ago and it was overall crappy. [emoji13] Today it is my favorite freehand slabbing saw. [emoji106]

Since that first 361 I built another 361, a 380, three 066/660 and the 365.

All have had their problems but nothing I couldn’t surmount.

Right now I can't machine the squish it it's too large.

Right now I'm buying up the original Husqvarna 162, 272, 266, 372 to rebuild to practice it's been a while since I been splitting cases. I ordered the tools. There seems to be a supply of dead saws right now.

Skip the junk chinesium 372 knockoffs and buy a beat up oem Husqvarna And rebuild it with OEM parts! Skip the chinese cases, Chinese cranks, pistons bearings or other chinesium. In the end you’ll be far ahead should you want to resale it. Chinese kits resale for a few hundred bucks at most if the seller is being honest. I wouldn’t buy a Chinese kit saw. Period. But now that I’m thinking about it maybe I’ll just start building Chinese kit saws and resell them to the unsuspecting! Now there’s going along with the Chinese business morales or shall I say model?

Build one yourself? [emoji48] Lately?

Issues with the above 365/372.
e45e4df9a90336dfb322b699547fa162.jpg

No clearence for the boot.
a8f1ab8bb60a1d8d7620438f4c6079a2.jpg

Fixed with sanding drum in drillmotor.

No clear idea where this stuff went on the saw.
6fe672499af3fc582de2f2fe2ab179f9.jpg

It goes here.
f972f3cb8d7b36af3cb81f244abaa1a5.jpg

I did use a Farmertec decomp but only after I determined the stem couldn’t fall into the cylinder.
42b8c8368556867bd21e78c1bd96e3e9.jpg

OE decomps are much preferred.

Packaging managed to stuff a ring end up a transfer port.
5536d9f20e6bc7ebb8b7148a7a6e0918.jpg

Took more than a few minutes to puzzle it back out without breaking the ring.

Just my 2 cents worth,

The kit saws can be fun and a good experience for anybody wanting a project. They can be a major headache as well. I built a 660 kit. It did well with the box parts for a while, then the issues appeared. One by one I fixed them, and as of right now all is well. Your probably tit for tat on getting a beat up OEM, but if your going to drop China parts in it your still using China parts. There would be a whole lot of saws in the scrap heap if OEM were the only option, due to cost.
When I chose to build another it will probably be the 372.

Back