Advice on starting a logging buisness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Nash

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the site this actually being my first post. I'm looking for advice on how to start into the lot clearing/logging buisness. I got a pretty good idea where I'd be hauling the logs to and have gotten most of my expenses like becoming an llc and that sort of thing kind of figured up. Don't know if there's anyone else from my area who would have any specific advice for dealing with local regulations. I got about all the equipment I need to get started on a small scale ( some good stihl's and some darn good tractors) and was really just looking for some advice from the pros. Anything would help thanks.

If you treat people with respect, pay fair prices, don't tear things up, make friends with the foresters selling timber you'll be covered up in work before you know it if you want that much.

As far as regulatory stuff goes, start with the Maryland Forests Association. I'd bet they'll jump right in to help figure out what you need to get rolling.

If you treat people with respect, pay fair prices, don't tear things up, make friends with the foresters selling timber you'll be covered up in work before you know it if you want that much.

As far as regulatory stuff goes, start with the Maryland Forests Association. I'd bet they'll jump right in to help figure out what you need to get rolling.
Thanks I appreciate the advice from you and everyone else.

^^ do that

Also tractors are fine and good, if your a farmer, and in a pinch they will move logs, but proper logging equipment will pay for itself in short order.

And by all means, take out huge loans on over priced equipment... so when, not if, you fail I can get me a new loader for 12k

^^ do that

Also tractors are fine and good, if your a farmer, and in a pinch they will move logs, but proper logging equipment will pay for itself in short order.

And by all means, take out huge loans on over priced equipment... so when, not if, you fail I can get me a new loader for 12k

People like you are no help to anyone, you think nobody else should start a business because you have one and all the work belongs to you, instead of helping out a new guy starting out you tell him he's going to fail.

What a class act you are.

Stick around a little longer... @northmanlogging is very helpful. Clearly sarcasm there. I thought it was pretty good. If you are getting into logging (or any business, for that matter) and don't recognize there are real and significant risks of loss you are going in blind. Making light of those risks is nothing new or unique.

Lots of suckers by new equipment, or better pay to much at auction cause the auctioneers give out big loans.

Then 6 months down the road, no work, broken gear, no prospects, so they sell their equipment for pennies and go back to punching a clock.

Its a rough business, not much room for fools.

So David, it's been a while since your first post. Have you been logging? How is it going for you?

Back