Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got this saw together to give to my uncle. Long story short I had parts saws from @chipper1 and @muddstopper that I combined. Was almost ready to go in February then I lost the muffler. Finally gave up and ordered a Chinese muffler which arrived yesterday.

New parts: carb boot, impulse grommet, chain, muffler.

Everything else was salvaged from three dead saws and a box of spare parts from Bill. Bar came off of that 5020 Poulan I picked up the other day.

View attachment 669688
At least one of us is putting together saws. The one I was working on when you where here is still sitting under the bench with 4 more piled on top. Maybe you need to swing back by and take a few more off my hands.

Hey scroungers, I picked up a load of Eucalyptus on the weekend. I found an ad on Gumtree (our version of Craigslist). A home owner had a load of logs dumped on their front lawn for firewood. Only problem they only has an ms170 and some of the logs were 8’ long and Ø28”, not sure what species it was but it was bloody heavy. It’s not fair this stuff makes me look like a weakling, it may have even stopped our resident Olympic weight lifter logger Nate in his tracks!

I had to make a stair way to walk them up into the trailer. The main idea was actually not for firewood but to cut the centre out and use them for pots in the garden to grow Orchids. We have one hollow tree stump in the garden with an orchid growing in it and it produces awesome flowers every year. I made three hollow logs and a set of stairs of the trampoline.

The Dolmar wore the 28” ES light and cut with authority. I have been thinking of buying a ported 661 down the track but I don’t think I need one based on how well the Dolmar cut.

Nothing like the 7900 screaming in suburbia at 8am on a quiet Sat morning.
upload_2018-8-20_10-50-56.jpg

upload_2018-8-20_10-50-57.png

upload_2018-8-20_10-50-57.jpg

You might try looking here: https://www.pure-gas.org/
They claim to have a complete list.

View attachment 669662
Thanks, the one in Frederick is my local Stihl dealer, he only sells pre made cans. I can't afford that. I'll check a couple others, but I thought all of MD was E-mixed. Maybe some of the air parks might sell e-free. Most of the pre mix cans are $5 or more for a quart, I go through at least 5 gallons a month, during mowing season I might hit 10 gallons a month. Funny, most of my saws hold more than a quart each.:)

I checked the 4 E-Free places listed within a half hour drive and one was an airport and the other were JD or saw dealers. There are a ton of listings on the Eastern shore, I'm guessing a bunch of them are marinas.
If you live close to Frederick,MD.......Breighners Tire in Littlestown,PA has it. Thats where I go...its about a 30-40 min. drive for me....just filled up to 5 gal cans....3.80 a gal for 87

I use Startron as well, just good insurance to keep things going. I will look for the pure gas dealers near me. Anyone know what they get per gallon? The True fuel gallon cans are so close in price to the mixed 2 stroke it makes no sense to buy it.

Back