Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok it is probably a little presumptuous of me to comment on this since I'm retired but here goes. I see way to many images of firefighters, mostly local government, covered in slurry from air tanker drops. (I've been rained on lightly a couple of times and hit once hard by a bucket drop.) These images are all over facebook and twitter and I suppose snapchat. Somehow a pinked out ff is a sign of courage or the badge of a "hero". I say ********. It is the sign of a mistake that should not be allowed to happen. It should be the sign that something wrong just happened here. Instead of showing off these ff's need to be interviewed for an AAR so that it does not happen again. Now we have learned that one of the ff's killed on the Mendo Complex was killed when a VLAT drop broke branches of a tree striking the ff. (I don't know more than that at this time.)

For those of you on the fireline whether ff or contractor please stay as far as possible from any retardant drop or bucket drop. Don't risk your life just to be part of the club and get a cool picture.

(I also hate seeing over weight guys from volunteer departments especially "battalion chiefs" out on the fireline. How many times have you seen chiefs on an engine from some little department because they know they are making $1,000.00 per day just to polish a seat?) Rant off. For now.
As for the last part, wa dnr needs people, and its really good money, i have the skills to do the job.

But i am a fat ass, and running is not an option, so rather then be a burden i decided not to apply, even though some local guys here are making a killing on the fires...

You can click the "wind" tab to see the barbs... looks like NW corner coastal is NNW wind, more southerly in the valley. Over the hills, less data, and lots of terrain-generated wind detail. I concur with your original statement: they're gonna regret biting off that much at once.

Oh Lordy.
I saw that this morning and wondered if they really had a plan or if it was an act of desperation or both.
There isn't a whole lot in that area to lose, A ten mile long backfire seems extreme.

Yeah, how are they gonna monitor that? Are they gonna pull crews off of other parts of the fire? What's the contingency plan for spots? What adjacent resources are available to shuffle from one incident to another? What if they lose resources because something gets bumped up in priority? I would not want to be the IC or Ops chief for this mess, and would likely turn down the assignment as SRB, unless I was very clear on what the goals and contingencies were. I feel for the TFL and DIVS because they're between a rock and a hard place. TFL and RXB2 are my next quals so you best believe I'm curious about how this plays out.

Oh Lordy.
I saw that this morning and wondered if they really had a plan or if it was an act of desperation or both.
There isn't a whole lot in that area to lose, A ten mile long backfire seems extreme.

One of the CalFire guys said today that maybe they'll get the Ranch Fire stopped when it hits the southern boundary of the Carr Fire.
He was kidding but...

Workin so far. N-NW winds throughout the night
d57e8ed6c16a20c025c14d082c4ba645.jpg
da15c7c11d7e4109c8ef72310af24e0a.jpg
1bd0f1e379e834dd137f76aff73799ff.jpg
Pulled back in on its self all night, Nice having the Forests Shot crew on.
DP 67 to 69. Starting at both ends and meeting in the middle at 0300.
f8df9c35c53cb5a063b9e7d5f36f54d0.jpg
4fccda9917ba65ef327413b09a2e644e.jpg

Erik

Back