Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you live close to Frederick,MD.......Breighners Tire in Littlestown,PA has it. Thats where I go...its about a 30-40 min. drive for me....just filled up to 5 gal cans....3.80 a gal for 87
Thanks for the info, but my truck gets a little less than 10 MPG. I plan all of my fill ups around a couple Royal Farms that have cheap gas. I'm in the $2.70- $2.80 range for fuel and that's hurts. Can't go $3.80. Mapquest shows it as 32 miles, so round trip is 64, I'd burn 6 plus gallons just getting there and back.

Do you gents have Aspen fuel? Alkalyte petrol, think Stihl so their own version. It lasts years and the combustion products are less harmful. £20 /5 litre can though!

I hang my saws by the handle against the wall, 2 screws in the wall, bit of string, thread through the handle. Neat storage but slowly fills the scabbard with chain oil.

No offense but I think you guys are overthinking it. I wouldn’t drive out of my way to pick up a couple points of octane unless I had an engine that needed it like a race sled/high compression car, etc

People ask me all the time what gas to use. I tell them to get the best gas you can find, preferably e-free. And if they do use “regular” gas (it will run fine) to not let it sit in the saw after use.

Then they ask about canned fuel and I tell them it’s fantastic stuff if you use a can or two a year. Since I use several gallons per year it’s not feasible for me due to cost.

Just my two cents.

Neurons in my brain are misfiring! I did a search for TrueFuel and got stuff like $60 a gallon. I got some other brand at $25 per gallon. I buy 5 gallons at Royal Farms for about $2.75, that's $13.75, plus about $8 for Stihl synthetic, that comes to $21.75 for 5 gallons, versus $125 to $300 for 5 gallons of TrueFuel. How can that be cost effective? If I bought a quart can at $6-8, that would not even get me one tank of fuel in most of my saws.:(

I think it’s 8 bucks a quart around here. If a guy just cuts a cord of wood for his firepit every other year and fills his weed wacker to trim his 1/4 acre lot in town it’s cheap insurance against carb issues. For goofy guys like us, not so much.

@rarefish383 Joe, did I tell you I was researching my ancestors and some of them lived in Frederick during the revolutionary war?

Cool, my Dad's father's side settled in MD in 1721. His mother was a Bladen, a direct descendant of the Colonial Governor, Thomas Bladen. My Mom's mothers side were Native Americans dating back who knows how far? Her fathers side were from the Seattle area and came East in the 1880's. Your folks may have known mine?

Exactly, I just buy super instead of regular as it is usually low ethanol, regular is all E10. I then use the stabilizer and always run the saw empty. However it seems a fair few tree guys here use Aspen, mainly to avoid headaches from a day of pump gas fumes.

I guess they simply account for the extra in their quote and when felling and removing a large tree, say a 2' dbh Oak, which needs ,climbing, ringing, humping those rings and the brash some distance to the chipper...a day of work for climber and groundy... In London that's going to be about £1000. I know as I've had 2 such trees removed. A extra £20-£40 for Aspen fuel won't be the difference between getting the work out not, so the customer pays it.

Thanks for the info, but my truck gets a little less than 10 MPG. I plan all of my fill ups around a couple Royal Farms that have cheap gas. I'm in the $2.70- $2.80 range for fuel and that's hurts. Can't go $3.80. Mapquest shows it as 32 miles, so round trip is 64, I'd burn 6 plus gallons just getting there and back.
I get all my gas in Maryland. The Highs just across the line ware 94 becomes M30 is always 20-30 cents cheaper then PA.

No offense but I think you guys are overthinking it. I wouldn’t drive out of my way to pick up a couple points of octane unless I had an engine that needed it like a race sled/high compression car, etc

People ask me all the time what gas to use. I tell them to get the best gas you can find, preferably e-free. And if they do use “regular” gas (it will run fine) to not let it sit in the saw after use.

Then they ask about canned fuel and I tell them it’s fantastic stuff if you use a can or two a year. Since I use several gallons per year it’s not feasible for me due to cost.

Just my two cents.

If we didn't overthink and discuss this where would the internet be? Good fuel/saw brand stuff is fun:laugh:. I do run Husqvarna pre mix in my smaller 450, it is run allot less and it sips fuel. My older 257 drinks it up.

So , you guys must be thinking I overheated and melted up here in Igloo .
I was busy yesterday , I had some trees to drop yesterday morning because a property owner was scared that some trees could fall over and hit his yet to be built garage :)
I have about 1/2 a cord of spruce to go pick up from there , then I went over to that Mineville houselot , I cleared the septic field and started clearing the back yard so they the homeowner could see the lake . A few nice size trees were taken down .

tAhVgPM.jpg

R9BNNBx.jpg

Fl20y1D.jpg

uv6MKuC.jpg

A few unhappy ants lol
P5BJVBf.jpg

I didn't bring anything home yet but I will after the excavator hauls it out when I'm done :)
I did stop in to see a friend of mine , his son was there and his girlfriend's parents burn wood so I asked if he wanted a load ,,,

m5h8urm.jpg

What a good kid !

So , you guys must be thinking I overheated and melted up here in Igloo .
I was busy yesterday , I had some trees to drop yesterday morning because a property owner was scared that some trees could fall over and hit his yet to be built garage :)
I have about 1/2 a cord of spruce to go pick up from there , then I went over to that Mineville houselot , I cleared the septic field and started clearing the back yard so they the homeowner could see the lake . A few nice size trees were taken down .

tAhVgPM.jpg

R9BNNBx.jpg

Fl20y1D.jpg

uv6MKuC.jpg

A few unhappy ants lol
P5BJVBf.jpg

I didn't bring anything home yet but I will after the excavator hauls it out when I'm done :)
I did stop in to see a friend of mine , his son was there and his girlfriend's parents burn wood so I asked if he wanted a load ,,,

m5h8urm.jpg

What a good kid !
How many volts is that Ryobi? :innocent:

Neurons in my brain are misfiring! I did a search for TrueFuel and got stuff like $60 a gallon. I got some other brand at $25 per gallon. I buy 5 gallons at Royal Farms for about $2.75, that's $13.75, plus about $8 for Stihl synthetic, that comes to $21.75 for 5 gallons, versus $125 to $300 for 5 gallons of TrueFuel. How can that be cost effective? If I bought a quart can at $6-8, that would not even get me one tank of fuel in most of my saws.:(

Canned fuel is a scam, like bottled water. I could see buying it if you did not use much and did not have access to e-free fuel.

Ethenol free 94 octane 50:1/40:1 is $20/gal U.S. dollars around here....everywhere...all day every day. I dont have to worry about gas going bad, or mixing. I cut/split 3 yrs of firewood this spring and went through about 3 gallons. Had I not had such a big score on big hardwood this year and not run the 395 as much I would surely have burnt a gallon less.

Canned fuel is a scam, like bottled water. I could see buying it if you did not use much and did not have access to e-free fuel.

I don't think of it as a scam , shelf life and idiot proof are the real value , but where I go through about 20+ gallons a year and mainly for personal gain , I can't charge out that extra fuel cost of about 12-15$ a quart versus the 14$ for 2 gallons of E-Free supreme and the bit of mix .

WOW, non ethanol gas is less than $4 a gal. around here. Only a few stations have it, one is 6 miles from my house. Most of the buyers are putting it in the boat tanks and 2 large recreation/fishing lakes are 10 miles or so from that station. I use it in my outboard and my saws and they all run very well. I also put stabilizer in the tanks along w the non E gas.

Latest posts

Back