Sweet Italian Sausages

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Another 15lb batch, to last 2 to 3 months. These sausages go fast with Ravioli. :)

Meat (1/2 pork butt and 1/2 pork loin) defrosted a couple of days and was then coarse ground. I will mix the seasoning (following a recipe -- no expensive seasoning packets for me) and let it sit over night. Then tomorrow morning it will take me 2+ hours to stuff it all into hog casings. Then I will be fat for a couple of months. :rock:

SweetItalianSausages 001 (800x600).jpg

SweetItalianSausages 002 (800x600).jpg

SweetItalianSausages 003 (800x600).jpg

6 and a half Natural Hog Casings filled, twisted into 4 to 5 inch links, and maybe 8oz of meat that doesn't make it out of the stuffer for patties and just browning for a topping over pasta.

For those that wonder about raw pork and whether or not it is dangerous to eat. I can't help myself but pick up the rare loose bits and put them in my mouth. I always say to myself, "I'm not suppose to do that!", as I am swallowing. 3 years of eating dangerously and I'm still as healthy as a new puppy.

What is your spice recipe? I bought a grinder last winter when I decided to process my own deer and was thinking about making some sausage eventually - either with venison or store meat.

6 and a half Natural Hog Casings filled, twisted into 4 to 5 inch links, and maybe 8oz of meat that doesn't make it out of the stuffer for patties and just browning for a topping over pasta.

For those that wonder about raw pork and whether or not it is dangerous to eat. I can't help myself but pick up the rare loose bits and put them in my mouth. I always say to myself, "I'm not suppose to do that!", as I am swallowing. 3 years of eating dangerously and I'm still as healthy as a new puppy.
Trichinosis is all but defunct now so you are probably safe. I was reading that the FDA lowered the recommended cooking temp for white meats as well.

I’ll eat pork that is lightly pink in the middle when I’m doing a tenderloin. Still like my chicken white all the way through.

And now the Pepperoni. As is usually the case, I didn't have or was short of some of the ingredients. Too few mustard seeds, and no anise seeds. I put some Allspice in to compensate and some extra fennel seeds and about 5* the amount of dry red wine. Luckily I had plenty of Paprika and Cayenne powder, that truly puts the kick in the Pepperoni.

Here is the ultimate source of all cooked and cured meat recipes.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index.htm

My food scale broke the other day, but again this looks about 15lbs, and is going to fill 5 and a half of the big chubs that hold about 40oz of meat.

This is slow cooked meat and will stay in the oven at its lowest temp for about 3 hours til the chubs reach 150 degrees.

Pepperoni 001 (800x600).jpg
Pepperoni 002 (800x600).jpg
Pepperoni 003 (800x600).jpg

Outstanding! Turns out there were 6 chubs and some links. Salami and Pepperoni are good gifts for unexpected favors done. A few years ago big jar of Apricot Jam and a Pepperoni Chub were a welcomed gift to a woman who was downsizing gave me her 26cuft chest freezer. These however might be too good to part with. :)

Pepperoni and sausage just isn’t made today like it once was in the old butcher shop.
We don’t see fennel seed in it. That’s a flavor the sausage is missing. My dad made sausage about 40 years ago. I mean real italian hot sausage. Glad to see your doing it.

Latest posts

Back