whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m very interested in the Ronin. I will probably take the plunge soon. If it’s not midline attachable how do you take it off if you’re base-tied? Canopy tie in I guess you can just strap in and take it out of the end of your climbing line but I’m wondering if this gets in the way.

We got to demo one during an aerial rescue training and it ate the rope, what a mess.
Jeff

They are working on a midline attachable and the guy said they may even make the current one to convert to mid line attachable. To me like with my wraptor I have had for over 10 years, just the free ride up is worth the price. You tie into the machine and can rappel off it and either leave it up there or have the groundie lower it and get it out of the way like I did with my Wraptor. Also with the downward motion the Ronin has that the Wraptor did not I have heard guys will just tie a rubber band on the throttle and let the machine run back down the rope and then another climber can come up without a new set up...if 2 guys are up there pruning which I often do.

Jeff, as to the rope damage I have heard that too from one buyer, now you are the second. But have heard many with no damage and maybe just the rope choice.?

But make no mistake, these things are huge production increasers and energy savers. This one is even a hundred pounds tested more capable than the gasoline Wraptor for those lard ass blubber guts like 101 out there.

Today: I was finally able to fire up my saw and cut a little bit of wood. Not a big deal, but, i just got through with kidney stone surgery, and was told to do nothing for 2wks, not even run the vacuum!! They put a stint in me, and i had it removed Wen. Man, what a difference that made in how i felt. Now i can get back in the groove and actually be able to do some thing. For the first time in a long time, i actually feel pretty good. The stone was over 1/2 '' long, and plugging up my urinary tract on my right side. I didn't have a clue what was going on, or how serious how it could have been. Finally, for the first time in a long time, i don't feel like i'd been drug though a knot hole backwards.

I had a number of kidney stones when I was young and no pain the equal of it. Over night I passed 6 of them. Had me on morphine. I was losing a lot of weight for a climbing contest while drinking sugared drinks in 100 degree heat and dehydrating. Word to the wise in this heat...you don't want kidney stones.

Me too. Still use the taughtline all the time although my go to the last 7 years or since it was invented is the ZZ. But secondary tie in is the tt. and I use it on the wraptor. I just bought a Ronin and it should come in a couple of weeks. Will use it on that too. I prefer rapelling on the TT more than any other means, but have to have the slack tending...spoiled by it.

Little story about my picture expose. I bid the job to a lady I have worked for before who just moved into that house and I worked there for prev owner. It is a joint used drive with the neighbors. I had maybe 2 inches both sides to get the crane in that spot you see in the pict then wiggle all around to set up and get out.

But the real story is she waits until after the neighbor poured that huge concrete slab to give me the job, and the neighbors really wanted it down as well. Go figure. Anyways it was the only humanly way possible to do this job. Driveway was way too steep and no spread access for main rigs to set up there and it would occupy the LZ. So into the new concrete slab I go. Do the whole job in 2 days, one full day stripping the canopy and dragging it up the hill driveway with the dingo into the BC 2000. Get everything done perfectly and as any crane guy would do...look around for any cracks on the new slab.

Well there it is. On the drivers main rigs (rear) in that far corner is a hairline crack in a semicircle. Oh fk I am thinking. I watch my goofball climber/groundie blow off the slab just to see if he notices. He is such a dumass that if he saw one he would scream at the top of his lungs "HEY DAVE!!!! YOU GOT A CRACK IN THIS CORNER!!!" He said nothing. Anyway when the paying homeowner next door gets home on Tues. night to pay the other half (she paid half when she went out of town yesterday) I am gonna have to wait til she says anything or the property owner with the slab says anything as her husband is out of town.

They both wanted the job done. They both had the chance to get the job done prior to pouring. They both ok'ed the crane set up there.....I cracked the concrete....prob. a $1k deductable.

Not being the nicest human being around as I am a tree guy that busts ass all day in bad weather I play scenario s out in my head and I figure that if when she gets back and I don't get paid either from contention by the ho or the slab owner....I will have to make a claim, keep the half down, and if she doesn't pay me the balance...I am saving the whole tree in a load in my 11' one ton dump, 2 loads already dumped in my lot, giant honkers on my 20' flatbed dump f800, and a whole 17' chipbox dump bed full of chips that I will dump in their driveway....as it is their tree and if they have not paid for its removal. At least I will dump it until or if the po po stops me.
Was gonna say that looks like a risky setup on green concrete... about the only thing I could see helping the rigger right on the edge like that is build up on the out side of the slab then bridge across the edge to take the pressure off.
We had a nice tight one not too long ago skinny drive houses deck wires garage and a French drain to drive over to boot.
Oddly I didn't even take a pic of the tree but it was an 80 foot 48" silver maple. There is also a bucket in front of the crane.
ba571d5ab71883fad867eac3ba8e9622.jpg
4c1bb917e75f872a0625b307a3f1c150.jpg
f6504875ca40abeb14ff664fab0a8aea.jpg
11fdfc52811903d9e27a0bda1fad490e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

But the real story is she waits until after the neighbor poured that huge concrete slab to give me the job, and the neighbors really wanted it down as well. Go figure. ... So into the new concrete slab I go. ... Get everything done perfectly and as any crane guy would do...look around for any cracks on the new slab.

Well there it is. On the drivers main rigs (rear) in that far corner is a hairline crack in a semicircle. Oh fk I am thinking. ...

I did a crane job on a relatively new driveway once. Left the job; no cracks at all.

Customer calls me 3 months later, claims we cracked his driveway. I told him if it wasn't cracked when we left, we didn't do it. You need to talk to your concrete guy, that driveway has settled.

So now, a good customer hates me because his driveway cracked 3 months after we were there. It was only a hairline crack, anyway.

I did a crane job on a relatively new driveway once. Left the job; no cracks at all.

Customer calls me 3 months later, claims we cracked his driveway. I told him if it wasn't cracked when we left, we didn't do it. You need to talk to your concrete guy, that driveway has settled.

So now, a good customer hates me because his driveway cracked 3 months after we were there. It was only a hairline crack, anyway.
driveway releases are essential. without one, when there is a problem, amnesia sets in as far as what was said.

I’m very interested in the Ronin. I will probably take the plunge soon. If it’s not midline attachable how do you take it off if you’re base-tied? Canopy tie in I guess you can just strap in and take it out of the end of your climbing line but I’m wondering if this gets in the way.

Also like the Wraptor, you can just add a line to the base tie in and lower it down or not add line and the climber lowers it. Then pull the whole rope and machine out of the way.

So.... peterbilt won’t call me back and I talked to Mack. Mack wants around 160k for a cab over hooklift. I’m thinking I might try international.

I’m sure you know this, but I just learned this year how “Mack is Mack”, meaning they build all their own stuff, tranny’s, engines, etc. I thought that was pretty cool.

I actually found that out yesterday.
they used to be a fully integrated truck. they offered other transmissions such as fuller and allison. with volvos acquisition of mack, all engines are volvo now and its basically a component truck, that costs too much, has poor dealer support, and is poorly built. the truck is no longer built like a mack!

Every Garbage truck in a giant company in N. Cinci is a new Mack. Must have something positive about them. Hundreds of them. I have an old Mack chip truck (90) and it is a great truck but parts come from France if they don't have them in stock. But truck is tough as nails. Way over built. Dumps straight up and down with huge cylinder. Removable top I built.

20228865_10213625347570058_6009127191326659324_n.jpg 35144049_1839458176112248_1156290816256245760_n.jpg 27173140_1702997043091696_3769369337707187363_o.jpg 404837_485742581483821_943922871_n (1).jpg

IMG_20180817_140840737.jpg IMG_20180817_140840737.jpg IMG_20180817_122841549.jpg job from last week. Tight quarters, small drop zone. Oh, and don't hurt the beech tree growing up through the pin oak.

Attachments

• IMG_20180815_104631395.jpg
    IMG_20180815_104631395.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20180817_084957326.jpg
    IMG_20180817_084957326.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20180815_104625016.jpg
    IMG_20180815_104625016.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20180813_084454760.jpg
    IMG_20180813_084454760.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20180815_104703958.jpg
    IMG_20180815_104703958.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20180817_085051210.jpg
    IMG_20180817_085051210.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20180813_084500275.jpg
    IMG_20180813_084500275.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
Every Garbage truck in a giant company in N. Cinci is a new Mack. Must have something positive about them. Hundreds of them. I have an old Mack chip truck (90) and it is a great truck but parts come from France if they don't have them in stock. But truck is tough as nails. Way over built. Dumps straight up and down with huge cylinder. Removable top I built.

View attachment 670115 View attachment 670112 View attachment 670113 View attachment 670114
truck is a tough truck made by renault in france for mack. part of their now defunct mid liner line of medium day trucks.

Latest posts

Back